View the most recent posts on the forum.

Author Topic: Winnipeg Area 2014 Group Trip  (Read 25098 times)

Offline thebushnut

• Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
Re: Winnipeg Area 2014 Group Trip
« Reply #45 on: January 16, 2014, 12:50:33 am »
no fishing was done :(
Weather was great, and it was nice to see Acurrier and Matt again. had some good "Tent Talks"
friday night I started getting sick...fever, chills, coughing.
Saturday Acurrier and Matt headed home and BV went to meet his wife and friend Dean to guide them back to the camp site.
I spent the Saturday huddled in my tent stuffing the stove and drinking pine needle tea trying to feel better.
I had another horrible night, and used up my last ASA tablet.
Sunday morning my fever broke and I slowly packed up.
by the time everyone else was packed up as well BV was also sick with a hacking cough and obvious fatigue.
I'm certain that if we both hadn't had our dogs doing quite a bit of pulling we would still be out on that trail.
Great thanks also to Dean who traded sleds with me and also helped BV pull his on the climbs. we couldn't have done it without you man!
We eventually made it back to the cars. Driving the 2h back to the city was scary. Have you ever sneezed while a transport is passing you? I made it back in one piece, my wife helped me unload the truck and I showered and hit the sack around 4pm....didn't wake up until sometime monday afternoon.
I've missed work all week because of this pox! only today have started feeling myself.
other than that I had a great time and would love to do it again next month! I will pack lighter as well!
I'll post some photos as soon as I find the Stupid cable!

Bushnut

Offline acurrier

• Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 16, 2014, 01:07:13 am »
Glad to hear I wasn't the only one who got sick...I'm still fighting a bad cough. At least for me it didn't hit until the day after I got home. Had a great trip once again, really enjoyed seeing everyone.

Offline wildernesstony12

• Hauling Sled
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 16, 2014, 07:48:07 am »
sorry to here you guys got sick,but that's one great thing about hot tenting you can stay warm.yes i have sneezed while an 18 wheeler and bigger have passed me lol. Well i am glade your feeling better hope you find the cable love to see the pictures.

CHEERS!!!! 

Offline Grizzly Adam

• Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 16, 2014, 09:37:02 am »
Your not alone brothers, I started the caugh and high feaver on friday night also havent got proper sleep for a week. not cool going to the doctor this morning it feels like my lungs have fluid in them. wtf is this bug and how do we get rid of it . POO Grizz

Online Bothwell Voyageur

• Vendor - Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
    • CanoePaddler
« Reply #49 on: January 16, 2014, 09:52:57 am »
Everything was going so great!

A great trip in then on the way out it was like Napoleon's retreat from Moscow!

Glad folk are recovering now. I was really bad until late Monday when my fever broke. I woke up in a pool of sweat, all bedsheets soaked but at least feeling better.

The bad news is that Selena has now come down with it.

Highlights- Grizz disappearing alone into the snowstorm when he left on Friday(very Scott of the Antarctic!), Selena producing an intact chocolate cake from the grub box on her toboggan (this had rolled a couple of times on the way in), Holly pulling my fully loaded toboggan at speed across the lake in pursuit of the snowmobiles

Lowlights- throwing up at 2 am onto the bough floor, not being able to walk up hill even at the same speed as someone on skis pulling two toboggans...

Let's head north soon!

BV
www.canoepaddler.net for custom made gear and fireboxes

Offline Grizzly Adam

• Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 16, 2014, 12:33:34 pm »
Hope ya all feeling better I just got back from doc's my cold/flu/zombie virus has mutated into pnumonia and he say another week of this crap. Bolloks and next weekend is the Scouts winter camp at Amisk thankfully my participation will be limited .

Ps Feb 1-2 is when I will be heading to my shack at Mars for a little B-day debaucherey all are welcome apparently I turned 40 on thr 24 of Jan but feel like 90 right now lol cheers Grizz.

Offline GearFreak

• Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
    • Alpha Whisky Adventures
« Reply #51 on: January 16, 2014, 01:25:48 pm »
WOW!  :o  I am sure glad I did not join you bunch.  ;)  I had a cold when I went to Riding Mountain the week before but thankfully it was not the bug you guys caught.  At least you all share!  Griz - Pnumonia sucks and the worst part is once you get it  - you get it even easier so be on the watch for colds that don't clear up in due time (that and the pain).

Get better all!  and I can't wait for pics of the area. Still planning my next trip somewhere I can fish.  Thinking of near Big Whiteshell area in Mantario zone.
"Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not."

Dr. Seuss - "The Lorax"

Offline wildernesstony12

• Hauling Sled
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 16, 2014, 03:12:58 pm »
i can believe how you all felt i have been there,but i was looking at the temps up there if i was a virus i would be hauling ass south lol. hope you all get better and get back to the bush,HAPPY BIRTHDAY GRIZZ

tony

Offline SupGen

• Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 16, 2014, 05:10:02 pm »
  "Napoleon's retreat from Moscow"! BV, you get the prize for "Evocative Prose". What a word picture! I guess close-quarters in a hot-tent is a great way for everyone to share what one person started out with! Glad you all survived and I hope everyone gets better.

Offline McLeod

• Coming in From the Cold
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 16, 2014, 09:01:29 pm »

Thanks a lot for the invite on your group trip, Chris!

I really enjoyed meeting more hot tenting people, and just being out; Shield Country is just a good place to be as often as possible.

Your sled ran 'beauteeful smooth' (to quote Blackbeard from True North), thank-you very much.

Still healthy here - and thankful! Glad to hear you are on the mend. Soon, too for Selena, I hope.

Going North would be just fine!

Dean
« Last Edit: January 16, 2014, 09:04:55 pm by McLeod »

Offline acurrier

• Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 17, 2014, 01:25:02 am »
Unfortunately I won't be able to make it to your birthday celebration Grizz (happy birthday by the way), but by some miracle it looks like I'll be off March 6-17. It isn't a guaranteed thing yet, but it looks good. If I play my cards right, I might even get permission from the wife for another 3 day trip...if anyone else is interested.

Lets all agree to leave the viruses at home this time though.

Online Bothwell Voyageur

• Vendor - Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
    • CanoePaddler
« Reply #56 on: February 19, 2014, 09:07:44 am »
Any more news on whether you will have some time off in March?

If you do, any thoughts on a location?

BV

Offline Grizzly Adam

• Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 19, 2014, 09:25:26 am »
would like to get a spring trip in but March is a busy month for Jon and I , 7/8/9 th I am on scout course at Gimli bible camp lol there better be SOMETHING about WOOD in wood badge 2 lol. and the 1/8/15 th Jon and I are doing triathalon MB events for Bushcraft . The end of March may work cheers Grizz

Online Bothwell Voyageur

• Vendor - Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
    • CanoePaddler
« Reply #58 on: February 19, 2014, 04:21:34 pm »
You're way too in demand! ::)

The question was really addressed at acurrier as he mentioned that he may have some more time off.

I'm hoping to head out this Friday if I can get this *!*!*!*! thesis draft completed.

Offline acurrier

• Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 19, 2014, 06:42:30 pm »
I did manage to get March 6-17 off. I don't have a location in mind yet, but hopefully something north of Winnipeg. The Whiteshell is nice, but it is about 5 hours from my house. Do you have any spots to recommend? There are some conservation areas near town here, but I haven't been to them.