View the most recent posts on the forum.

Author Topic: Winnipeg Area 2014 Group Trip  (Read 26506 times)

Offline Bothwell Voyageur

• Vendor - Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
    • CanoePaddler
Re: Winnipeg Area 2014 Group Trip
« Reply #60 on: February 19, 2014, 06:56:41 pm »
Have you considered Riding Mountain NP. There would be an issue about cutting boughs but I think they provide firewood.
www.canoepaddler.net for custom made gear and fireboxes

Offline acurrier

• Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: February 19, 2014, 07:40:09 pm »
That could work, it is only ~2 hours to the south end of the park. Have you been there before? I'm not sure how developed it is...if it is like Bird's Hill park, it will be tough to find good camping.

• Vendor - Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
    • CanoePaddler
« Reply #62 on: February 19, 2014, 07:47:19 pm »
GearFreak knows the area pretty well and Mcleod was there in the last couple of weeks. I have the guide book but have only been in there for winter day trips, mostly at the west end of the park.

I suspect we would need to pick the route well to avoid mountain climbing!

Offline GearFreak

• Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
    • Alpha Whisky Adventures
« Reply #63 on: February 19, 2014, 08:17:03 pm »
Hey Guys,

Firewood will be provided at Whirlpool, Moon Lake, and probably Lake Audy as well.  Look on the maps for picnic shelters.  Most backcountry sites have firewood during the season but check with the park to find when it is stocked (fall or spring).  Very few of the interior roads will be plowed.  I would suggest you start your adventure from a developed trailhead that is plowed.  Watch the weather forecast for snow as the Lake Audy Road can take up to 5 days before being ploughed out.

Call the park for information on firewood availability.  It will be mostly likely be large poplar needing splt.

Random Winter camping in the backcountry is allowed - register with the park.  Confirm use of deadwood for firewood.

I would try Whirlpool next for myself as the ski trails nearby give a great day trip.  They are groomed by volunteers. 

At Moon lake we really hammered the firewood by the cook shelter on the January weekend.  But the firewood stash in the campground was good and right next to a privy.  Campsites are not ploughed so they would make a nice little trek but still have some conveniences.  You may see a couple of other people out for a snowshoe.  If you tuck yourself in the campground you may never even see them.

If you decide to head down one of the summer trails I would stay away from the east side escarpment ones.  After Horseshoe lakes elevation changes - these are steeper.  Very pretty but very steep.

This outlook is on the Gorge Creek Trail, it is like a peninsula that sticks out where two valleys intersect. you ascend one side and descend the other.

"Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not."

Dr. Seuss - "The Lorax"

Offline acurrier

• Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: February 19, 2014, 09:45:00 pm »
Thanks GearFreak, I appreciate the advice. You are, of course, more than welcome to join us for this trip if you're available. Speaking of availability, as far as dates I'm wide open at the moment between March 6-17. BV, what days are you available?

Offline GearFreak

• Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: February 19, 2014, 11:18:09 pm »
Thanks guys,
It pains me to pass on an opportunity to go out to that area, but spring is tax season.  Its hard to forecast how my time goes during this time of year.  If I don't get buried I may slip out so I will watch to see what you guys do. 

If you do have a route in mind I can ask some folks who I know have hiked most of the park.  I have heard of a major antler SHED area that one day I would love to see.  Bob Hill lake is also nice country a fellow I know quite well had a bear sniff all around his tent, then later he had a bull moose walk around it and in the water by his tent.  After that he took to the car (it was the same time of year as my photo - a few days later actually).

"Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not."

Dr. Seuss - "The Lorax"

Offline acurrier

• Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: February 19, 2014, 11:21:00 pm »
Was this summer camping? I would be surprised to encounter any bears this time of year.

What are the parking areas in the winter? Do they have plowed lots?

Offline GearFreak

• Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: February 20, 2014, 11:54:50 am »
Was this summer camping? I would be surprised to encounter any bears this time of year.
It was late September in 2010, but it helps to show that the western side of the park is the better area for wildlife.

What are the parking areas in the winter? Do they have plowed lots?

Limited parking is ploughed, Moon Lake, and I believe a lot or two on the Eastern road (start of Grey Owl/Ski Trails).  Whirlpool is not usually ploughed and the gate is usually closed. It was not locked in November.  Best to check with the park staff if you want a confirmation on what is ploughed.  Many of the roads are not cleared in the winter.  The staff are really friendly and helpful I have found.

Dr. Seuss - "The Lorax"

• Vendor - Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
    • CanoePaddler
« Reply #68 on: February 20, 2014, 08:28:29 pm »
It sounds like parking at the start of the roadway to Whirlpool Lake then hauling the 3-4km down to the camping area may be our best bet.

I can make some calls next week to check on the wood situation at this and other locations.

BV

Offline acurrier

• Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: February 20, 2014, 09:24:48 pm »
Sounds good to me. What days work for you?

• Vendor - Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
    • CanoePaddler
« Reply #70 on: February 21, 2014, 09:13:51 am »
At the moment I am entirely flexible over dates. Slight inconveniences like job interviews or thesis committees may arise but if I can get some dates pinned down sooner rather than alter it lets me give Selena more notice. Not sure if she will have the time to come along but either way Friday to Sunday or Saturday to Monday are both good though other days could work.

Anyone else interested?

Offline acurrier

• Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: February 21, 2014, 10:06:12 am »
Lets tentatively plan for March 7-9 then. As BV said, everyone is welcome to come out for the trip.

Offline GearFreak

• Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: February 21, 2014, 02:18:35 pm »
I will watch the dates and see how things go.  It would be nice to go out and play when it is not -30 for a change.

Dr. Seuss - "The Lorax"

Offline Grizzly Adam

• Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: February 24, 2014, 09:10:12 am »
Have a great trip fellas, alass I am on my Woodbadge 2 course for Scouts that weekend so get some down time for me guys and maybe a drink or 2 lol , This coming weekend Jon and I are at a triathlon MB event doing bushcraft. and this saturday my Scout group is heading to the Mars hut for a over night with the bell tent again, feel free to pop bye and say Hi to the kids Rose will be there with Sonja I will be there later in the day on Saturday.cheers Grizz

Offline GearFreak

• Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: February 26, 2014, 11:14:05 am »
I will watch the dates and see how things go.  It would be nice to go out and play when it is not -30 for a change.

This morning as I moped about the house complaining about the continued Polar Vortex my darling wife suggested I should stop playing with the golf clubs and instead think about going on another camping trip.  Ain't she a keeper!

Dr. Seuss - "The Lorax"