View the most recent posts on the forum.

Author Topic: Winnipeg Area 2014 Group Trip  (Read 24533 times)

Offline Bothwell Voyageur

• Vendor - Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
    • CanoePaddler
Re: Winnipeg Area 2014 Group Trip
« Reply #75 on: February 26, 2014, 11:56:13 am »
I find myself with very mixed feelings right now. I love my winter camping and would happily enjoy another 6 weeks of winter but everyday modern life is hugely inconvenienced by this cold windy weather. Even things like walking the dog is hard and trying to keep the snow clear of the gate to the back yard has become a major task!

www.canoepaddler.net for custom made gear and fireboxes

Offline Grizzly Adam

• Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: February 26, 2014, 02:02:33 pm »
at this rate we will have snow till april for sure WEIRD

Offline awbrown: N. Illinois, USA

• Supporter
  • Hauling Sled
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: February 26, 2014, 02:53:02 pm »
She is indeed a keeper.......ask her if she'd like to adopt a chubby, bearded, 65 year year old...
I love winter......I don't look fat in wool!

• Vendor - Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
    • CanoePaddler
« Reply #78 on: February 26, 2014, 03:36:39 pm »
So, back on topic!

I spoke with Parks Canada and yes there should be plenty of firewood available at Whirlpool Lake for us. We can park at the road end and snowshoe the 3 km into the campsite.

We need to pick up permits from the office before heading out which also lets us catch up on the latest news about trail conditions etc before we go. We could pay over the phone but I'd rather buy them when we arrive in case we have another 30cm of snow and they close the roads etc the night before.

Looking forward to it.

Offline GearFreak

• Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
    • Alpha Whisky Adventures
« Reply #79 on: February 26, 2014, 04:30:38 pm »
Thanks BV, I am thinking I may slip away - If I get bogged down it may only be for a night but why fight something you can't win.

Too Funny AwBrown!

Maybe I will bring a wedge and pound snowballs into the lake. >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(
"Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not."

Dr. Seuss - "The Lorax"

Offline GearFreak

• Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
    • Alpha Whisky Adventures
« Reply #80 on: February 27, 2014, 04:14:49 pm »
I'm out - no doubt now in my mind.   :'(
"Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not."

Dr. Seuss - "The Lorax"

Offline acurrier

• Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: February 27, 2014, 08:16:42 pm »
I spoke with Parks Canada and yes there should be plenty of firewood available at Whirlpool Lake for us. We can park at the road end and snowshoe the 3 km into the campsite.

We need to pick up permits from the office before heading out which also lets us catch up on the latest news about trail conditions etc before we go. We could pay over the phone but I'd rather buy them when we arrive in case we have another 30cm of snow and they close the roads etc the night before.

Thanks for looking into that BV. Lets meet at the east gate (off Hwy 19) and then head into the park from there. Will 10am work for you? If you want an earlier start, it is only two hours from my place. I've had to leave around 6am the last few times we've gone to the Whiteshell anyway.

Gearfreak, sorry to hear you can't make it, hopefully we'll have another opportunity to get together.

• Vendor - Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
    • CanoePaddler
« Reply #82 on: February 28, 2014, 11:52:15 am »
It's a good four hour drive for me so 10 would be about as early as I can make it. I'll have to deal with a grumpy dog when she finds that she is being left behind but I know that Selena likes to have her at home for company.

It would be better for me to meet at the main entrance or even at the main office- takes about as long and saves having to then drive along the 19 and back to get the permits.

Sorry you can't get out GF. Let me know if another date comes up, I going to try to get as many night out as I can before winter ends.

BV

Offline acurrier

• Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: March 03, 2014, 08:35:20 pm »
Didn't realize you could only get permits at the main entrance. That will work fine, I'll see you at the main office at 10 on Friday.