View the most recent posts on the forum.

Author Topic: Bacho 24 inch bowsaw blades source!  (Read 147811 times)

Offline HOOP

• Administrator
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
Bacho 24 inch bowsaw blades source!
« on: November 03, 2013, 08:11:11 pm »
Backround:
Here in Canada we have had a very hard time over the past few years finding good bowsaw blades, especially 24 inch bowsaw blades, which is the size many of us carry in winter because its a good compromise between weight of saw with good length for power and efficiency.  Most on the hardware store shelves are no-name knock off crap, some not even properly offset or sharpened.  Not sure what the situation is in the US? 

Bacho Blades Source Found!
At the Winter Camping Symposium in Wisconsin last week, I had the pleasure of meeting Ben, owner and operator of Ben's Backwoods online store.  Really great guy, and very knowledgeable in woodcraft/bushcraft.  He carries lots of gear that winter trekkers would be interested in. 

I was very pleased to see Ben carries the Bacho 24 inch bowsaw blades in the raker tooth pattern (model 23-24) which is the one I prefer for boreal softwoods!  The Bacho raker tooth pattern has longer teeth and the gullets are cut deeper to move sawdust out faster than the cheapo non-name blades here.  I purchased two off of him. The blades are nicely offset and sharp!  I tested a blade at home on a seasoned 8 inch diameter white spruce log, and it cut through it with ease. I can highly recommend these Bacho blades.  Here is the link on Ben's website: http://www.bensbackwoods.com/bahco-24-swede-saw-blade-23-24-raker-tooth/

The blade is "made in Portugal".  It appears Bacho has moved all its bowsaw blade manufacturing there.  However the blades Ben carries are in the authentic Bacho packaging and, most importantly, the blades are stamped on the steel with the Bacho logo, i.e. Bacho is standing behind these blades with their brand name, so I think this is the quality run of blades. 

Ben's new website indicates it is currently only shipping within the USA.  But don't  be shy – give him a call to see what's up and see what he can do.  If shipping is not possible right now, then maybe someone in Canada could organize a group bulk order and re-ship once the package is across the border.

« Last Edit: November 03, 2013, 09:55:19 pm by HOOP »
My Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/Wintertrekker

"I firmly believe that far from hurting the planet, the growing knowledge of Bushcraft is helping our natural world. When we employ bushcraft skills, it may seem as though we are consuming natural resources.  But of course, the more we learn about the trees, the plants, the animals around us, the more we respect them. The more we respect them, the more we cherish them, the more we nurture and take care of them. That is the underlying principle of Bushcraft.

Offline Pawoodsman

• Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
Re: Bacho 24 inch bowsaw blades source!
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2013, 08:28:57 pm »
Bens a great guy. I ordered a extra blade with my saw this spring, fortunatly it was stamped germany. By the way glenn you clean up nice for the tv news

Offline customknife

• Stoking the Woodstove
  • Warm and dry
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2013, 09:58:14 pm »
I've bought a lot of stuff from Ben and finally met him at the WCS a couple weeks ago.  He is a very good guy and the delivery on his orders are wicked fast, at least to my home in Chicago.  Cheers.

Offline brianw

• Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2013, 10:12:13 pm »
Greetings

Finding good quality blades for bow saws, is one of my chief complaints against them.  It is good that you found a source for them.  However for something that retails for $6.98 US, the shipping to Canada is going to be more than the cost of the blade by a wide margin.  Even if you do a group buy and ship it to one of those US address for Canadians places at most US border crossing towns.  THe person that brings them back is going to find the shipping in Canada isn't much cheaper either. 

Not to dampen enthusiasm, one has to consider how much they are willing to spend on quality bow saw blades vs the over all cost of the saw.

Cheers

Brian

Offline brianw

• Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2013, 10:17:19 pm »
Greetings

A quick google search shows that these Bahco 23-24 raker saw blades are available from Amazon.ca (canadian site) for $9.94 plus taxes and shipping (free shipping over $25.00)

http://www.amazon.ca/Snap--Industrial-Brand-BAHCO-23-24/dp/B0001IX71K/ref=sr_1_1?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1383534792&sr=1-1&keywords=bahco+23-24

Cheers

Brian

Offline Slush Walker

• Stoking the Woodstove
  • Embracing the Boreal
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2013, 08:41:34 am »
Good bow saw blades seem hard to find. I've given up entirely on the standard hardware store variety but don't have a good alternative either so this is good news. I noticed that Bacho also has a dry wood blade (model 51-24).  Since we usually if not always cut dry wood while camping, I wonder if it would be worth trying the dry wood model vs the green wood model?  Any experience with the dry wood blades?  I'm thinking that the 23-24 would do both well but I'm not sure the 51-24 would do the green wood as well with the less aggressive teeth.   

http://www.bahcostore.com/itemparts/10-24-51

-SW
"It is possible to live wisely on the land, and to live well. And in behaving respectfully toward all that the land contains, it is possible to imagine a stifling ignorance falling away from us."  -Barry Lopez

Offline brianw

• Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2013, 10:29:55 am »
Good bow saw blades seem hard to find. I've given up entirely on the standard hardware store variety but don't have a good alternative either so this is good news. I noticed that Bacho also has a dry wood blade (model 51-24).  Since we usually if not always cut dry wood while camping, I wonder if it would be worth trying the dry wood model vs the green wood model?  Any experience with the dry wood blades?  I'm thinking that the 23-24 would do both well but I'm not sure the 51-24 would do the green wood as well with the less aggressive teeth.   

-SW

Well, HOOP is in the boreal forest of Northwestern Ontario.  Which is primarily soft woods (pine, spruce, fir), so I am thinking the raker blade works well on soft wood.

The other blade probably would work, however, if you mostly cut hardwood, I think the Peg blade would work better. 

Of courses this bears testing out.

Finding good quality bow saw blades is a challenge, and is one of the reasons I prefer a coarse/aggressive cut carpenters hand saw.  Much easier to find at the local hardware store.  The blade would be really really hard to break in normal use, it cuts straight and fast as well.

Cheers

Brian

Offline HOOP

• Administrator
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2013, 08:25:41 pm »

-SW

Well, HOOP is in the boreal forest of Northwestern Ontario.  Which is primarily soft woods (pine, spruce, fir), so I am thinking the raker blade works well on soft wood.

The other blade probably would work, however, if you mostly cut hardwood, I think the Peg blade would work better. 

Of courses this bears testing out.

Finding good quality bow saw blades is a challenge, and is one of the reasons I prefer a coarse/aggressive cut carpenters hand saw.  Much easier to find at the local hardware store.  The blade would be really really hard to break in normal use, it cuts straight and fast as well.

Cheers

Brian

Hi gents,
Indeed I have tested this out in my area.  Many years ago I purchased what turned out to be maybe the last 24 inch Sandvik "Force" model bowsaw here (at the local Beaver Lumber, franchise now deceased too), with the 51-24 peg teeth blade, with blade stamped "made in Sweden" on Swedish Sandvik steel (ah those were the days!).   Still have it and use it.  If I had known these were the last of the Sandviks, I would have bought all the store had, and re-sold them and made lots of money!  ;D

Sawing winter softwoods that are literally frozen, I find the raker teeth pattern with deep gullets is superior on average for the big 3 softwoods I have here:  jack pine, black spruce, and balsam fir.  I say "average" because there is alot of variation in moisture content.  When you get a high moisture frozen log, you really notice how superior the deep rakers are.  If the log is flexing at all, you want that sawdust out or its going to bind.

There is also frozen green wood cutting to be done sometimes to clear a tent site, or to clear blowdown on a bush trail.  Again the raker teeth rule in my experience.

As I get older, I am determined to lighten my gear tripping load, summer and winter.  I chip away at it each year, sometimes succeeding in cutting gear weight, sometimes not.  I even leave my rugged Sandvik 24 inch bowsaw at home because I found a G-Man brand that is lighter:  670g vs 598g.   I am glad now to have a genuine Bacho 23-24 blade for it, as I was using a poorer no-name blade on the G-man saw. 

Those deep gullet carpenter's saws look awesome.  I wonder how much they weigh?  I was just on Irwin's website and they don't list the weight of the coarse cut with the gullets.  Folks who have tried the Silky Katanaboy say its the fastest.  But I spoke with a friend who busted a Katanboy blade, and its about $75 before shipping!   Heard about other Silky blades busting as well.  The nice thing about a bowsaw blade is that they are cheap, durable, and carrying an extra blade on the sled is easy and almost weightless.  :)

My Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/Wintertrekker

"I firmly believe that far from hurting the planet, the growing knowledge of Bushcraft is helping our natural world. When we employ bushcraft skills, it may seem as though we are consuming natural resources.  But of course, the more we learn about the trees, the plants, the animals around us, the more we respect them. The more we respect them, the more we cherish them, the more we nurture and take care of them. That is the underlying principle of Bushcraft.

Offline tg

• Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2013, 12:12:31 am »
Hi Guys-
I just took this picture the other day.  I picked up the orange Bahco folder (Laplander) from Bensbackwoods after meeting Ben at the Winter Camping Symposium-good dude! (BTW I also got a decent Bahco axe file from him!).  I was weighing the folder and commenting to some folks on another forum that the Laplander would be almost a full pound lighter than my Irwin Marathon and sheath.  For you metric users the Irwin weighs 414 grams or 629 with the nice sheath made by William (Ragged) on the BWCA.com website.  I am a big fan of the carpenter's saw-especially the lack of setup/take down.  If you care the Bahco Laplander weighs 186 grams (it will be my "UL" softwater season saw)

tg

Offline into the wind

• Supporter
  • Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2013, 03:51:27 pm »
I have a silky saw that is fantastic in the summer, but does not perform nearly as well in frozen wood. For winter I use a Dustrude saw with a Bahco blade. Not too fiddely for winter set up, and packs away nicely protecting the blade. As stated, extra blades are easy to carry. I've found a big part of saw performance is technique. I've seen some interesting ways of working through a log with a saw. Many folk could just as well bring a 6 inch saw as that's as much of the blade as they use. The old line about letting the saw do the work is also important.

Offline brianw

• Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2013, 06:01:31 pm »
Hi Guys-
I just took this picture the other day.  I picked up the orange Bahco folder (Laplander) from Bensbackwoods after meeting Ben at the Winter Camping Symposium-good dude! (BTW I also got a decent Bahco axe file from him!).  I was weighing the folder and commenting to some folks on another forum that the Laplander would be almost a full pound lighter than my Irwin Marathon and sheath.  For you metric users the Irwin weighs 414 grams or 629 with the nice sheath made by William (Ragged) on the BWCA.com website.  I am a big fan of the carpenter's saw-especially the lack of setup/take down.  If you care the Bahco Laplander weighs 186 grams (it will be my "UL" softwater season saw)

If my memory serves me correct, the 20" Irwin Marathon coarse cut I had weighed 500 grams.  So the extra 5 inches of blade length over your 15" only differs by 86 grams.  So extrapolating that out, the 24" saw that I now have should roughly weigh 570 grams .  I will have to double check that when I get a chance to weigh my saw.  (Edit to Add:  The 24" Irwin Marathon Coarse Cut saw weighs 590 grams)

There is no comparison between using a small folding saw and a larger saw when you are talking the volume of wood that needs to be processed for winter camping.  Either hot tenting or cold camping, makes no difference.  You'd soon get rather tired sawing up 3 and 4 inched dead fall with a laplander type folding saw. 

Of course it's a different ball game when you are talking about camping in spring through fall.  There a fire is less important and doesn't need to be as large or long lasting, so using a small saw has the advantage of being lighter weight and needing to do less work.

As for the larger Silky folding saws, some of my camping friends have the 15" silky folding saw and I find the handle to be too large to use the saw effectively.  In my opinion, it gets in the way.  For that length blade and longer, I'd much rather have the handle of a regular carpenters handsaw.

Cheers

Brian
« Last Edit: November 06, 2013, 10:33:16 am by brianw »

Offline Slush Walker

• Stoking the Woodstove
  • Embracing the Boreal
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2013, 07:00:27 pm »
I use a 24" Bob Dustrude as well.  It weighs 1 lb (454 grams). The original blade is not bad but does not have deep gullets like the 23-24 Bacho blades. After reading about the different blades described here, I think I will get a 23-24 Bacho blade and take it as an extra for my Dustrude and I will be sawin' logs. I would have a peg tooth blade and a deep gullet blade in the arsenal.

Thanks Hoop for an excellent summary of the various blades and their use.

-SW
"It is possible to live wisely on the land, and to live well. And in behaving respectfully toward all that the land contains, it is possible to imagine a stifling ignorance falling away from us."  -Barry Lopez

Offline lonelake

• Supporter
  • Hauling Sled
  • MINNESOTA, Winter Camping Symposium
    • View Profile
    • www.wintercampingsymposium.com
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2013, 09:07:51 am »
If you are running a solo hot tent set-up, with a smaller stove, a folder saw is fine. Double wall/nylon hot tents or combos in the solo size burn far less wood than a traditional set-up. A Laplander would be perfect for a small set-up.
The bigger the set-up, the bigger the tools, IMO.
That being said, I carry a "carpenter's" style crosscut, and a lightweight smaller saw, I prefer this http://www.felcostore.com/item/f611?referer=saws
Hard to beat a Dustrude with a Bacho blade for an all around saw if your a one saw guy however......

LL
Simplicity in all things is the secret of the wilderness and one of its most valuable lessons. It is what we leave behind that is important. I think the matter of simplicity goes further than just food, equipment, and unnecessary gadgets; it goes into the matter of thoughts and objectives as well. When in the wilds, we must not carry our problems with us or the joy is lost.
-Sigurd Olson

www.wintercampingsymposium.com
Proudly wearing Empire Wool and Canvas

Offline awbrown: N. Illinois, USA

• Supporter
  • Hauling Sled
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2013, 04:35:07 pm »
I returned from the Winter Camping Symposium a week or so ago where I also was able to pick up a Bahco blade from Ben.

However, I attended a couple of workshops at the WCS where the presentors were praising the Silky Katanaboy saw. This is the first I had ever heard of it and was wondering if any of the wintertrekking.com gang had any thoughts.

I watched a couple of Youtube videos and that thing looks like a wood eating beast!
I love winter......I don't look fat in wool!

Offline Teepee

• Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2013, 05:02:43 pm »
Has anyone tried the Irwin bow saw blades?

They make excellent knife and saw blades for my other tools.
Pete. :)