View the most recent posts on the forum.

Author Topic: Long backcounty ski poles  (Read 1412 times)

Offline Bioguide

• Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
Long backcounty ski poles
« on: November 24, 2013, 10:34:08 pm »
It is mentioned in the Back Country skiing forum section on poles that one should have a "recreational sport/track skiing pole that is the strongest you can find" and that "No company makes a longer adjustable pole, so taller people are stuck with having to find a long fixed length pole."

I would be interested to hear what "tall folks" (6' 2" or so) have purchased and are using for their back county ski poles. Recommendations and links to suggestions for purchasing poles for a 6' 2" tall person would be greatly appreciated.

I have been looking at these Black Diamond 105 - 155 cm adjustable poles:
http://www.rei.com/product/842277/black-diamond-traverse-adjustable-ski-poles-pair

Cheers, Bioguide
« Last Edit: November 24, 2013, 11:02:59 pm by bioguide »

Offline HOOP

• Administrator
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
Re: Long backcounty ski poles
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2013, 07:05:03 am »
Good to hear they are stretching the longer versions to 155cm.  These are still too short for "performance" or racing classic skiing technique, according to the charts.  However in the backcountry a tall person may be able to get by with them (?) since its not a race, and when pulling a sled or breaking trail, with our without a sled or pack, it can be a slow plod walking on skis anyways.  So its definitely not a race.  But I would not know since I am short stature.

From Swix's webpage, here is their height-pole chart for classic ski pole length recommendations, but bear in mind these are for groomed trails and high performance or racing:

http://www.swixsport.com/eway/default.aspx?pid=278&trg=MainLeft_6175&MainContent_6179=6175:0:&MainLeft_6175=6320:38044::0:6176:7:::0:0
My Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/Wintertrekker

"I firmly believe that far from hurting the planet, the growing knowledge of Bushcraft is helping our natural world. When we employ bushcraft skills, it may seem as though we are consuming natural resources.  But of course, the more we learn about the trees, the plants, the animals around us, the more we respect them. The more we respect them, the more we cherish them, the more we nurture and take care of them. That is the underlying principle of Bushcraft.

Offline Moondog55

• Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
Re: Long backcounty ski poles
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2013, 11:41:08 pm »
I'm still using my 30YO adjustable poles and they go up to 160cm
I didn't know the new ones were so short but truth to be told fixed poles are much stronger and when I need replacements I'll buy fixed length
if you need a shorter pole at times just wrap the shaft with gaffer tape lower down