View the most recent posts on the forum.

Author Topic: Long distance fast light ski camping?  (Read 6484 times)

Offline ravinerat

• Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
Re: Long distance fast light ski camping?
« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2013, 08:11:51 pm »
We used to ski through Algonquin Park pulling Pulks. Since we were mostly doing lake travel and over portages the Pulk seed to do ok. There were lots of hills to. I would use a pig tail on the back and let it go down firestorm controlling it with the pig tail.

RR
Time waits for no one!

Offline PackRat

• Coming in From the Cold
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2013, 12:45:11 pm »
You might look at the Alaska Mountain Wilderness Ski Classic race to get some ideas on light weight - long distance skiing.

Offline Ted

• Supporter
  • Hauling Sled
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2013, 01:24:51 pm »
When heading down slippery slopes with either my pulk or my toboggan, I use the Craig McDonald trick of wrapping some rope right around and under the unit. 2 loops for my pulk, 3 loops for my toboggan seem to work well for most slopes although I've done more wraps when the slope starts getting scary and icy. So instead of my pulk/toboggan running me down, it actually acts like a brake so I can just head down at my preferred (slow) pace.
Cheers, Ted
http://www.parkerclan.ca
To the Silent Places

Offline PackRat

• Coming in From the Cold
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 15, 2013, 01:48:13 pm »
Here is a good gear link for the Alaska Wilderness Ski Classic:

http://forrestmccarthy.blogspot.ca/2012/04/gear-check-alaska-mountain-wilderness.html

Offline HOOP

• Administrator
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #19 on: December 15, 2013, 02:21:03 pm »
When heading down slippery slopes with either my pulk or my toboggan, I use the Craig McDonald trick of wrapping some rope right around and under the unit. 2 loops for my pulk, 3 loops for my toboggan seem to work well for most slopes although I've done more wraps when the slope starts getting scary and icy. So instead of my pulk/toboggan running me down, it actually acts like a brake so I can just head down at my preferred (slow) pace.
Cheers, Ted

Hi Ted,
Do you leave dedicated rope loops attached for this purpose, or do you use your harness to wrap around it?
My Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/Wintertrekker

"I firmly believe that far from hurting the planet, the growing knowledge of Bushcraft is helping our natural world. When we employ bushcraft skills, it may seem as though we are consuming natural resources.  But of course, the more we learn about the trees, the plants, the animals around us, the more we respect them. The more we respect them, the more we cherish them, the more we nurture and take care of them. That is the underlying principle of Bushcraft.

Offline Ted

• Supporter
  • Hauling Sled
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 15, 2013, 02:53:54 pm »
I have two longish (4 footers?) ropes well tucked under bungees at the top so they won't start catching brush. One near the front and one near the back. The back one gets used first.  Both ends have those bungee type hooks so that I can use them quickly with my mitts on. Each rope goes around gear and toboggan twice.  At camp they become my inside the tent clothes drying line.

I had to come up with something that worked well and and quickly as I'm always solo and don't have a buddy holding a tail rope.
After a good freezing rain, some of those hills are awfully daunting when viewed from the top.
I had the toboggan climb over the back of snowshoes and ended up head-first downhill. I came pretty close to spraining an ankle and I was about 10km into the bush by then. Won't do that again! On occasion, I've even wrapped some rope around my snowshoes for up and down hill grip.

Cheers Ted
http://www.parkerclan.ca
To the Silent Places