View the most recent posts on the forum.

Author Topic: Central Ontario snow storm  (Read 2702 times)

Offline ravinerat

• Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
Central Ontario snow storm
« on: December 14, 2013, 09:44:08 pm »
We have been getting blasted for five days now with Lake Effect Snow. I was in the Bracebridge area and the snow was up to my thighs. And the below freezing temps have had the smaller lakes freeze over. some are venturing out on the speck lakes for fishing. The swamps and creeks have not frozen over so route selection is confined to land. Great time to investigate new camping locations.
I'll be out over the Xmas holidays.
RR
Time waits for no one!

Offline HOOP

• Administrator
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
Re: Central Ontario snow storm
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2013, 02:10:57 pm »
I wanna see some photos!   :)
My Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/Wintertrekker

"I firmly believe that far from hurting the planet, the growing knowledge of Bushcraft is helping our natural world. When we employ bushcraft skills, it may seem as though we are consuming natural resources.  But of course, the more we learn about the trees, the plants, the animals around us, the more we respect them. The more we respect them, the more we cherish them, the more we nurture and take care of them. That is the underlying principle of Bushcraft.

Offline ravinerat

• Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2013, 08:52:34 pm »
This was the other day as I explored a winter camping spot for New Years Eve. There was so much snow back there.

This working for a living is just getting in the way.

RR
Time waits for no one!

Offline brianw

• Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2013, 10:06:24 pm »
RR

That is some serious amount of snow you are breaking trail through with your snowmobile. 

We finally got a good amount of snow down on the North Shore of Lake Ontario (Oshawa).  Nothing like what you showed in the picture. 

Looking forward to a great winter camping season.

Brian

Offline ravinerat

• Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2013, 08:16:33 am »
It actually doesn't show the true depth. There is probably a good 1.5-2' under the snowmobile  which it is floating on.

RR
Time waits for no one!

Offline Deerkeeper

• Coming in From the Cold
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2013, 05:33:57 pm »
I was surprised to see Kempenfelt Bay in Barrie complete iced over this weekend. I have been here ten years and it is usually not until mid January that it will freeze over. A lot of the ice blew in from the main part of the lake with those easterly winds that came with the storm but it is all piled up in the west end. The rest of the bay is covered. Not thick and there are a few pockets of open water but this is unusual for this early. It will be interesting to see if it actually stays.
Veni, Vidi, Velcro
(I came, I saw, I Stuck Around)

Offline ravinerat

• Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2013, 06:43:18 pm »
It used to freeze before Christmas but it seems those days are gone. Sure would like to see a return of that weather.

RR
Time waits for no one!

Offline watatic

• Warming Up
  • New winter camper
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2013, 05:57:23 am »
In Central Massachusetts we now have a foot of snow, and my local pond had 4-1/2 inches of ice the other day. Shaping up to be a great winter! Can't wait to strap on the snowshoes.
"It is a pleasure to the real lover of Nature to give winter all the glory he can, for summer will make its own way, and speak its own praises." Dorothy Wordsworth, 1802

Offline ravinerat

• Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2013, 07:47:40 pm »
More and more snow. Talking rain tonight.

RR
Time waits for no one!