View the most recent posts on the forum.

Author Topic: My new 9ft-er UHMWPE sled  (Read 7688 times)

Offline ravinerat

• Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
Re: My new 9ft-er UHMWPE sled
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2013, 08:05:24 pm »
Looks great. I love the way everyone has their own little twist when making a toboggan. look forward to your reports when you get some miles on it.

RR
Time waits for no one!

Offline georgecarr

• Supporter
  • Coming in From the Cold
    • View Profile
    • Loco Libre Gear
« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2013, 05:15:24 pm »
Very cool design!

Offline DMarrone

• Vendor - Supporter
  • Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
    • Lure of the North
« Reply #17 on: December 13, 2013, 10:26:49 am »
Re finish:  Maybe its the camera, but I have not seen a dull and patterned finish on UHMWPE sheets before.  You may need to buff the base to smooth it up if it is at all rough?   

This is exactly what our UH looks like as well.  When I got my first shipment a couple of years ago, I was shocked because I was used to the very smooth, high-gloss HDPE that I had received from the same company previously (Johnston Industrial).  I called up someone there, and he assured me it had a lower co-efficient of friction than the HD, and that there was a chemical definition of UH that had to be met for it to be labelled as such.  It took me two years of testing before I started to believe him!  The black is "reprocessed" which is why it is (nominally) cheaper than the white, but it also has a UV-inhibiting pigment.  Ie. the black is designed for exterior applications. 
Lure of the North
http://lureofthenorth.com

Offline DMarrone

• Vendor - Supporter
  • Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
    • Lure of the North
« Reply #18 on: December 13, 2013, 10:31:58 am »
And BTW, I really like the T-nuts and bolts innovation.  I don't think I would adopt it for interior screws, as I've never worried about those ones, but the screws that land in that little bit of wood b/w the end of the crossbar and running line notch, have worried me in the past.  I drill out slightly larger pilot holes to avoid splitting the wood, and as a result the screws have less to 'bite'.  That being said, I've only had one over the years that partially failed. It didn't let go entirely, but it was enough that the running line slipped out of the notch and between the wood and plastic.   I carry a few larger (#10) screws in the field, and was able to replace it then and haven't thought of it since.  So perhaps the extra weight/ expense isn't justified, but I am curious and would like to try one myself.

Thanks for sharing.
Lure of the North
http://lureofthenorth.com