View the most recent posts on the forum.

Author Topic: Tandem sleds?  (Read 2706 times)

Offline watatic

• Warming Up
  • New winter camper
    • View Profile
Tandem sleds?
« on: December 21, 2013, 09:31:51 pm »
I have a 5 foot long heavy duty plastic sled from REI. It's great for ice fishing, and sturdy as can be, but it is just not big enough for my stuff when I go camping. I have used it, and it was sort of ok. I can bring everything, but have to stack it so high that the sled tips over with every bump. And that was for a one-night trip.

I am thinking of buying a second sled, and attaching it with a short rope to the back of the one I have. Before I go and do this, however, I was wondering if any of you have travelled this way, or seen it done, and how it works in actual practice. Don't want to invest the money and find out it is unmanageable.
"It is a pleasure to the real lover of Nature to give winter all the glory he can, for summer will make its own way, and speak its own praises." Dorothy Wordsworth, 1802

Offline kie

• Vendor - Supporter
  • Coming in From the Cold
    • View Profile
    • www.lureofthenorth.com
Re: Tandem sleds?
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2013, 10:10:43 pm »
No problem at all that I've noticed and we do similar all the time. You will have the advantage of breaking them apart for tough portages - probably more important for those traveling solo than those who have the advantage of a group.  The disadvantage would be slightly increased cost, and 2 shorter sleds/ toboggans, etc is likely less economical than buying one larger one. 

~ Dave (from the missus' account).
There isn't a place I'd rather be.

Offline watatic

• Warming Up
  • New winter camper
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2013, 08:51:16 am »
Dave, are yours fastened together rigidly, or you just run a line between them?
"It is a pleasure to the real lover of Nature to give winter all the glory he can, for summer will make its own way, and speak its own praises." Dorothy Wordsworth, 1802

Offline dks

• Supporter
  • Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2013, 09:53:44 am »
I pull two sleds on my trips and attach them with a single, centre positioned attach point with a carabiner. One big advantage is being able to pull them separately if required, a disadvantage is breaking trail and having them track properly.

wooley

« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2013, 10:02:53 am »
Some of the questions may be answered in another thread on this subject.

MIKE

Offline watatic

• Warming Up
  • New winter camper
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2013, 08:41:25 am »
I read the other discussion on this also, which was helpful. Picked up a second Paris Expedition sled last night and outfitted it with rope and caribiner in my living room this morning! Now just have to find some snow after the 60-degree rain washed away nearly all of the foot we had.  Freezing temps, though, from now on, so ice should harden up again; went ice fishing last Thursday on 6", which is good for Massachusetts this time of year.

$30 US at local hardware store. Not bad!

Thanks for all your replies.

Offline watatic

• Warming Up
  • New winter camper
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2013, 08:47:10 am »
Had to laugh-- the sled label has cautions on it about supervising children, that ice is slippery, etc. Egad!! The punch line was,

"For your protection, always wear a helmet."

ROTFL.

(Will post a video with my helmet on some day.)

Offline DMarrone

• Vendor - Supporter
  • Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
    • Lure of the North
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2013, 10:38:38 am »
Dave, are yours fastened together rigidly, or you just run a line between them?

Hi, sorry I missed this since this Q earlier. 

Our quick and dirty method just uses the haul lines already on the 2nd toboggan.  Pull them together right in front of the  hood and tie into a big overhand (or 8) knot on a bight; use a carabiner to clip this loop to the rear loop on the 1st, and then flip the rest of the haul line/ tump strap out of the way onto the 2nd toboggan.

Hope that makes sense. This allows you to quickly break the 2 toboggans apart, and your haul line on the 2nd toboggan is already setup.  Of course if you have no intentions of separating them, you would probably use something a bit cleaner.
Lure of the North
http://lureofthenorth.com