View the most recent posts on the forum.

Author Topic: Algonquin 2014  (Read 10703 times)

Offline John43

• Coming in From the Cold
    • View Profile
Algonquin 2014
« on: January 14, 2014, 08:58:14 pm »
Hey guys, I've been camping for pretty much my whole life (I'm only 24) but I haven't had the opportunity to really try out hot tenting. As I said I don't have much experience in winter camping but if a few people would like to go for a trip into the park this year to maybe show me the ropes a little. I have done enough researching, I have proper clothing and sleeping system and can care for myself so you won't need to look after me. I'm just looking for some people who have experience and who would be willing to share their successes and failures with me in an enjoyable setting of Algonquin Park. I live in Bracebridge near the south west corner of the park, if that matters. Cheers guys

Offline theDuck

• Hauling Sled
    • View Profile
Re: Algonquin 2014
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2014, 09:13:34 pm »
A group of us usually go the Mew Lake at APP for the February Family Day long weekend. We go out in old airfield. No one has set up a thread planning for it yet but you are welcome to come.
  Each camp is it's own independent camp. There just happens to be a group of us from this web site that go. We visit and get ideas on how others do stuff. The Park has activities on the Saturday at the Mew Lake campground some of us get into.

Offline ravinerat

• Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2014, 01:22:25 pm »
I'll be doing a Winter Camping Demo with my Snowtrekker.

RR
Time waits for no one!

Offline scoutergriz

• Hauling Sled
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2014, 01:43:27 pm »
I'm hoping to be at Mew then with a bunch of hot and cold tenters

Offline jimmay

• Hauling Sled
  • Jim
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2014, 11:58:56 am »
Should we have a roll call?

T and I are planning to make the trek up again this year.

I would however like to make a small change of venue. The trail down into the old airport is an easy haul and is close to amenities, but the cover (wind and tourists) and the firewood is a little scarce, so I am proposing we head into the thicker bush more south of the campground.

I would also like to add that I plan to make a toast for Al on Saturday night for anyone who would join us around the camp fire.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2014, 12:01:26 pm by jimmay »

Offline ravinerat

• Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2014, 06:03:58 pm »
Although I will be in the camp ground due to the display I am sure I will drop by to raise a glass to Al.

RR
Time waits for no one!

Offline John43

• Coming in From the Cold
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2014, 08:54:16 pm »
I'll pencil that into the calender for February thanks guys. I've got my canvas in the dryer as I type this. I'm used to making UL hammocks etc. so this is a bit of a change up but I'm excited for the results. Lots of useful information on here you guys are a great help. Off topic but do you know if there's any threads on sewing in tie-outs or know the general school of thought on them? Thanks again guys

Offline ravinerat

• Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2014, 09:01:00 pm »
Check out the tent section. First DYI tent.

RR
Time waits for no one!

Offline ravinerat

• Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2014, 07:19:24 am »
This years Winter in the Wild will be a two day event both Sat and Sun.

RR
Time waits for no one!

Offline brianw

• Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2014, 10:32:40 am »
This years Winter in the Wild will be a two day event both Sat and Sun.

RR

It's getting bigger every year. 

Is the event page up on the Algonquin Park website yet?

Cheers

Brian

Offline ravinerat

• Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2014, 07:52:40 pm »
Saturday, February 15th

10:00 am -11:30 am Guided Winter Bird Walk
Spruce Bog Boardwalk Trail (km 42.5)
Join a Park Naturalist as we go looking and listening for some
of the "Algonquin Specialities" such as Gray Jay, Spruce Grouse and Boreal Chickadee all the while being aware of the other natural phenomena in our midst. A limited number of binoculars will be available on loan to participants, courtesy of The Friends of Algonquin Park.*

10:30 am -11:30 am Winter Landscape Photography
at the Visitor Centre Theatre (km 43)
Peter Ferguson is an avid nature and wildlife photographer and instructor who is frequently capturing shots right here in the Park. He will share some tips on photographing landscapes that you can then use to capture Algonquin's extraordinary scenery.

10:30 am -12:00 pm Wildlife Snowshoe Excursion
at the Visitor Centre (km 43)
This excursion will be led by a Park Naturalist. Please meet at the Visitor Centre parking lot. There will be limited snowshoes available to borrow courtesy of The Friends of Algonquin Park or bring your own if you prefer.*

11:00 am -2:00 pm Collection Room Tour
Tours of the Algonquin Park Collections Room is your opportunity to have an exclusive behind-the-scenes look at an area that is usually only accessible to park staff. This room houses the Park's collection of hundreds of natural history items such as bird and mammal skins, pinned insect specimens and plant specimens. Tours run every 20 minutes and sign-up sheets will be in the lobby.

1:00 pm -2:00 pm Wildlife Tracking Presentation
Have you ever wandered through the winter landscape and wondered what animals have left their tracks for you to discover in the snow? Join certified Tracker, Alexis Burnett of Earth Tracks Outdoor School for an informative presentation on Winter Wildlife Tracking.   We will go over some of the basics of identifying the tracks of the many animals that call Algonquin Park home.   Learning about the tracks, habits, biology and movement patterns of animals such as moose, wolves, martens, otters, hares, beavers and many more.   Open to people of all backgrounds and experience levels. 

1:30 pm -3:00 pm Wildlife Snowshoe Excursion
This excursion will be led by a Park Naturalist. Please meet at the Visitor Centre parking lot. There will be limited snowshoes available to borrow courtesy of The Friends of Algonquin Park or bring your own if you prefer.*

2:30 pm -4:00 pm Guided Winter Bird Walk
Spruce Bog Boardwalk Trail (km 42.5)
Join a Park Naturalist as we go looking and listening for some
of the "Algonquin Specialities" such as Gray Jay, Spruce Grouse and Boreal Chickadee all the while being aware of the other natural phenomena in our midst. A limited number of binoculars will be available on loan to participants, courtesy of The Friends of Algonquin Park.*

3:00 pm -6:00 pm Ice Skating, Campfire & BBQ
at the Mew Lake Campground (km 30)
Roast a marshmallow, sip hot chocolate, and get warmed by the fire. Bring your skates and try out the Mew Lake Ice Rink. There will be a BBQ dinner available - cash only please.*

3:00 pm -6:00 pm Winter Camping Demonstration
Algonquin is open to both car camping and backcountry camping all year round. Drop in, join Park staff and check out winter camping demonstrations. Staff will be on hand to answer questions and show various styles of accommodations and gear.*

6:00 pm -8:00 pm Fireside Talk & Night Hike
Come join a park naturalist to explore the sights and sounds of winter at night . After a fireside introduction to Park wildlife, we will walk into the woods and look for signs of wildlife, check out the night sky and attempt a famous Algonquin Wolf Howl.*

Sunday, February 16th

10:30 am -11:30 am Winter Wildlife Photography
Peter Ferguson is an avid nature and wildlife photographer and instructor who is frequently capturing shots right here in the Park. He will share some tips on photographing wildlife that you can then use to capture Algonquin's extraordinary wildlife.

1:00 pm -3:00 pm Winter Wildlife Walk
at the Mew Lake Campground woodyard parking lot (km 30)
What does it take to survive an Algonquin Winter? Join a park naturalist to explore the ways wildlife manage to live through this cold, dark season. *

1:00 pm -2:00 pm Winter Tips & Tricks
Join an Algonquin Backcountry Ranger to learn some tips and techniques that will help ensure you stay safe and comfortable on any outdoor winter adventure. Learn about practical and essential survival tips and equipment that can help assure your safety.

3:00 pm -9:00 pm Campfire, Marshmellow Roast and Night Skating
at Mew Lake Campground  (km 30)
Roast a marshmallow and get warmed by the fire. Bring your skates and try out the Mew Ice Rink for a night skate under the stars.

Time waits for no one!

wooley

« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2014, 09:43:51 pm »
Will be in the Park 12-18 Feb but well back into another area of the bush. Family Day weekend is our annual trip.
Good luck to all here who will be at Mew Lake and welcome to the new people.

MIKE

Offline sleddawg

• Supporter
  • Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
    • Rhum Line Marine
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2014, 12:18:05 pm »

Barring unforseen work thingies I should be there.   Is there a time or particular place to meet up or just follow the snowshoe tracks to find y'all.  May come up Thursday or Friday, could meet at the Moose Sat. morning for breakie first then head in, great steak & eggs..............

Cheers,
Ken
I, haul the sled so therefore I am "the" dawg.....

Offline ravinerat

• Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2014, 02:26:33 pm »
Some may already be in there on Fri night. I will be on site 14 with the Duck. Scoutergriz will be on site 17. Not sure who else is coming yet. Maybe Jimmy can comment where the others are going to be down The Track and Trail.

RR
Time waits for no one!

Offline ravinerat

• Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2014, 02:28:26 pm »
Wooley are you doing the Hammock hang?

RR
Time waits for no one!