View the most recent posts on the forum.

Author Topic: Laminated Wood Side Toboggan Project  (Read 10668 times)

Offline HOOP

• Administrator
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
Re: Laminated Wood Side Toboggan Project
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2014, 12:06:01 am »
Beautiful looking woodwork and toboggan !

I'm very curious about something about toboggans. Most of the toboggans one sees (umhmwpe ones for example)have a serious recurve at the front but yours has a very slight upturn. I'm wondering why yours is not as dramatic and if it makes any difference hauling behind snowshoers or skiers ? I'm going to be making one this year and would like to make the most of the 8' length which would get eaten up by a big radius.

thanks for any insight you can offer

BB
Hi BB,
I made mine the same way with just an upturn like a ski.  Plastics of HDPE and UHMWPE are very strong, especially when reinforced with wood cross pieces or frames.  You don't need a full recurve like wooden toboggans.   The important thing in these designs is to have your pull bar back on the flat part so that you are not pulling down the upturn.  Wooden toboggans are made with several thin planks, and the recurve helps add rigidity and strength to the front end, which has to be able to take a hit on trees on downhills, and banging into and over logs on the trail.    However many traditional wooden toboggans have what is essentially a gradual upturn, and then only a small recurve or distinct bend down at the top, with a cross piece.  Regional styles vary. 
My Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/Wintertrekker

"I firmly believe that far from hurting the planet, the growing knowledge of Bushcraft is helping our natural world. When we employ bushcraft skills, it may seem as though we are consuming natural resources.  But of course, the more we learn about the trees, the plants, the animals around us, the more we respect them. The more we respect them, the more we cherish them, the more we nurture and take care of them. That is the underlying principle of Bushcraft.

Offline Snowbound

• Coming in From the Cold
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2014, 09:07:12 am »
Here are a couple of photos with the toboggan loaded and trekking across Ensign Lake. 

To answer the questions of others: I've made about 8 of these toboggans now.  I have tried to sell them but it is hard to make enough profit to make it worthwhile; I have about 20 hours into this one.  I think the rigid sides make it perform better than the "floppy" toboggans.  Gear stays lashed down better, it is easier to lift onto trailers and over downed trees, easier to make sharp corners without tipping and you can cut the weight by using 1/8" plastic.  My plastic source is Seeley Plastics in Duluth http://seelyeplastics.com/contact/ .  Yes, a full recurved front wastes plastic and room on the sled, I see no disadvantage to this design.

Offline Snowbound

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2015, 08:45:58 am »
Having sold the laminated toboggan I made last year, I was under a deadline to make another before my winter trips.  I was very pleased with the first version so I changed very little.  I tried to shave off another pound in an attempt to get under 10 pounds by planeing the wood down to 5/8".  This one uses redwood in place of the cedar.  Here are some photos.

Offline Snowbound

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2015, 09:47:00 am »

Offline arcticmag

• Supporter
  • Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2015, 05:32:05 pm »
Looks great Snowbound! The shape is almost exactly like the dogsleds that I build. On the dogsleds I put the sheet UHMW on top of the runners and then slide 1 ½ inch wide replaceable plastic onto aluminum tracks on the bottom of the runners. On hard pack the sled rides on the runners for less drag and when the snow gets deeper it rides on the sheet. I wonder how that would work for a toboggan?
Make friends with the wolf, but keep your axe ready.

Offline HOOP

• Administrator
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #20 on: January 15, 2015, 06:46:38 pm »
Very nice work!
My Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/Wintertrekker

"I firmly believe that far from hurting the planet, the growing knowledge of Bushcraft is helping our natural world. When we employ bushcraft skills, it may seem as though we are consuming natural resources.  But of course, the more we learn about the trees, the plants, the animals around us, the more we respect them. The more we respect them, the more we cherish them, the more we nurture and take care of them. That is the underlying principle of Bushcraft.

Offline FrozenCanoe

• Supporter
  • Warming Up
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2015, 04:16:31 pm »
I love this toboggan, especially the seat in the back. 

Offline fisherman

• Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 21, 2015, 08:34:21 pm »
Awesome work.
A beautiful sled indeed.!
Nice and light too.

Offline lonelake

• Supporter
  • Hauling Sled
  • MINNESOTA, Winter Camping Symposium
    • View Profile
    • www.wintercampingsymposium.com
« Reply #23 on: January 21, 2015, 09:31:21 pm »
Looking good buddy! Cant wait to see this on the trail next month.....
LL
Simplicity in all things is the secret of the wilderness and one of its most valuable lessons. It is what we leave behind that is important. I think the matter of simplicity goes further than just food, equipment, and unnecessary gadgets; it goes into the matter of thoughts and objectives as well. When in the wilds, we must not carry our problems with us or the joy is lost.
-Sigurd Olson

www.wintercampingsymposium.com
Proudly wearing Empire Wool and Canvas

Offline Snowbound

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 29, 2016, 09:45:44 pm »
I noticed all my photo links were broken so I thought I would re-post some.  I am finishing another batch of toboggans and will have them available at the Winter Camping Symposium or for pick up in Duluth.  $400.

Offline lonelake

• Supporter
  • Hauling Sled
  • MINNESOTA, Winter Camping Symposium
    • View Profile
    • www.wintercampingsymposium.com
« Reply #25 on: October 06, 2016, 07:29:06 am »
Love the look of these toboggans. Another great job Snowbound! See you soon!

LL
Simplicity in all things is the secret of the wilderness and one of its most valuable lessons. It is what we leave behind that is important. I think the matter of simplicity goes further than just food, equipment, and unnecessary gadgets; it goes into the matter of thoughts and objectives as well. When in the wilds, we must not carry our problems with us or the joy is lost.
-Sigurd Olson

www.wintercampingsymposium.com
Proudly wearing Empire Wool and Canvas