View the most recent posts on the forum.

Author Topic: Snowbank  (Read 2190 times)

Offline lonelake

• Supporter
  • Hauling Sled
  • MINNESOTA, Winter Camping Symposium
    • View Profile
    • www.wintercampingsymposium.com
Snowbank
« on: February 08, 2014, 10:17:38 AM »
Any reports from Snowbank,  Ensign, or Newfound? BWCAW. Dogsled trail on Snowbank? Any info would be greatly appreciated,  headed in this week.

LL
Simplicity in all things is the secret of the wilderness and one of its most valuable lessons. It is what we leave behind that is important. I think the matter of simplicity goes further than just food, equipment, and unnecessary gadgets; it goes into the matter of thoughts and objectives as well. When in the wilds, we must not carry our problems with us or the joy is lost.
-Sigurd Olson

www.wintercampingsymposium.com
Proudly wearing Empire Wool and Canvas

Offline into the wind

• Supporter
  • Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
Re: Snowbank
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2014, 12:26:33 PM »
Beyond Snowbank I've heard lots of slush. I have friends who are mushers and they are very frustrated with conditions this year. Heard there is a dogsled trail to Basswood. Not sure where exactly. Tough year so far.

Offline snowdog

• Coming in From the Cold
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2014, 02:09:21 PM »
Moose Lake, Newfound route is very questionable.  Yesterday, Friday, I did see a dog truck (musher) at the Moose Lake landing.  That has been a rare sight this winter.  The trail has been very tough as we get snow and wind and it disappears.  Slush, too, has been and still is widespread and deep.  I am hoping that more dog sledders will start using the route so I can!  The in-town rumor is that no one will get to Knife Lake this winter.  I hope that is wrong.  I have heard there is a fellow using dogs to go out to Thomas via Snowbank and Disappointment but has had quite a struggle trying to keep a trail.  If you don't have a good packed trail...good luck! 

Offline Snowbound

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2014, 11:57:34 AM »
Just got back from the trip with lone lake and others.  No Slush anywhere!  But the snow is deep on the lakes and deeper on the portages.  There are packed dogsled trails on the usual routes.

Offline snowdog

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2014, 04:47:40 PM »
Hey, Snowbound, where did you go?  Ima? Thomas?  Did you do any fishing and if you did, how was it? 

Offline Snowbound

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2014, 10:00:25 AM »
Snowbank-Ensign-Newfound-Moose.  We did not fish.