View the most recent posts on the forum.

Author Topic: No Slush!  (Read 1568 times)

Offline HOOP

• Administrator
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
No Slush!
« on: February 11, 2014, 06:44:39 am »
I just got back from a winter trek on a small/medium sized lake northwest of Atikokan, northwestern Ontario, (north of Quetico/Boundary Waters area).  There was no slush...anywhere!  Almost unheard of this time of year. The sled hauling and skiing was as good as it gets this time of year before the meltdown and re-freeze crust forms. 

The structure of ice and snow was the classic "slush sandwich".  Under the snow there is a 4 inch layer of white ice, which is frozen slush.  Below that is liquid water about 4 inches, and below that is blue ice about 1.5 to 2 feet depending where you are.  There was also spots with 2 feet of blue ice and no slush sandwich.

The going theory is that it has been so cold continuously since December, that the slush that was common has frozen on top and capped it.  The cap contains new overflow events when the blue ice cracks (the daily expansion and contraction cracks), and any upwelling flows under the cap and stays there.

Another reason why an old fashioned long and really cold winter is best!

My Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/Wintertrekker

"I firmly believe that far from hurting the planet, the growing knowledge of Bushcraft is helping our natural world. When we employ bushcraft skills, it may seem as though we are consuming natural resources.  But of course, the more we learn about the trees, the plants, the animals around us, the more we respect them. The more we respect them, the more we cherish them, the more we nurture and take care of them. That is the underlying principle of Bushcraft.

Offline ravinerat

• Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
Re: No Slush!
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2014, 07:46:51 am »
How is your snow depth on your lakes. Earlier in the season we had lots of slush on the lakes from the huge amount do snow pushing the ice down and the water coming up on the ice. We had a bit of a thaw and refreeze. We've gotten blasted with snow and the slush is only in specific areas. It has been consistently cold and our ice is 2' thick. The pressure cracks are starting to heave and finding safe locations to cross is getting tough. Most of the Great Lakes are almost frozen. The last time was 1996. Finally a true Canadian winter.

RR
Time waits for no one!

Offline memaquay

• Supporter
  • Hauling Sled
    • View Profile
Re: No Slush!
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2014, 08:13:17 am »
Lots of slush up this way, hit some last night while out on my daily snowshoe.  Was able to stay on top of it, but i had to move pretty fast.  Hopefully the trail will be frozen over tonight.  Snowmobilers are complaining a fair bit about the slush this year, and there have been some monumental episodes of snow machines getting stuck solid.