View the most recent posts on the forum.

Author Topic: What do you guys use for gear while trecking?  (Read 2341 times)

Offline exophysical

• Warming Up
    • View Profile
What do you guys use for gear while trecking?
« on: February 14, 2014, 11:06:38 am »
 When you guys are back country fishing what do you use for gear? Do you pack in rods and reels/ tip ups, or do you go with some kind of a handline? I like hand lines because they are more compact but they suck when trying to give line to big fish and I hate having tangled line all over the place when I pull up a fish. So what do you guys use? I recently stumbled across this video, it seems like this guy has handline fishing down to a science and has figured out to beat the frustrations I typically encounter.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TFfILfNo1OM

Offline ravinerat

• Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
Re: What do you guys use for gear while trecking?
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2014, 12:26:40 pm »
Are you talking winter or summer? Don't think I could hand line a Tarpon like that.  In Ontario while Ice Fishing we are allow a max of two lines. Some lakes only one line. I like a rod and a reel. usually set a tip up out and jig close by. I jug with a tip up sometimes but not too often. I used to only use tip up for lake trout and white fish but love playing a fish on a rod. For pan fish I use a ultra light set up.

RR
Time waits for no one!

Offline exophysical

• Warming Up
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2014, 12:46:42 pm »
I was talking about winter, what you use is pretty much what I regularly use for ice fishing. When I'm hiking in though I will quite often just take a crude jigging stick or a couple spools of line, they pack up more easily and I know I wont accidently break them in transit. I think I might try and find one of those yo-yo things and give it a shot though.

Offline Hutchy

• Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2014, 04:31:34 pm »
Two spools of line, a tiny jig case with the essentials, frozen minnows or perch bellies, a small roll of electrical tape and some tin foil for tip ups. I was raised handlining pike.  A good plan is to use the line specifically for ice fishing that is dark blue. Makes handlining less cluttered than clear line. Also, fight a fish with the wind at your back. That way the line gets blown away from you, often into a nice big loop, instead of all over you and becoming a tangled mess. A tangled line can cost you a fish if it is large.

If a fish runs, let the line slip through your fingers, but dip your hand into the water. No risk of a friction burn, and you can direct the line away from the sharp edges of the hole better.

My two cents

Hutch
Used to be the man made the gear, now it seems the gear makes the man...

Offline ravinerat

• Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2014, 07:43:54 am »
We are heading off into the back lakes this weekend fishing and camping. I'll Take a small ice fishing rod and reel. I'll also throw in a jigging stick/tip up as a back up. Here on Simcoe we regularly fish over 90 fow. That's a lot of hand bombing. I like the fight is a decent fish on light tackle. This weekend we will be fishing less than 20 fow so a hand line is great. A small rod doesn't take much room in a case and I usually take a handful of jigs and some small spoons. Won't be dragging in the power auger to get through the 24" of ice. It's hand auger this weekend.

RR
Time waits for no one!