View the most recent posts on the forum.

Author Topic: What kind of ski am I looking for?  (Read 8505 times)

Offline exophysical

• Warming Up
    • View Profile
Re: What kind of ski am I looking for?
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2014, 02:13:30 am »
 I picked up some touring boots and I'll make a trip to the city to get the rest of the essentials when the skis show up. My long term plan is to ski them the rest of this winter and see where my tastes take me. Depending on how much steep terrain I actually get into I will either add some stiffer boots in the future and just swap the boots according to where I'm skiing, or get a more touring type set of skis if I decide the telemark thing is a pipe dream. Either way I'm feeling pretty good about the purchase, thanks for the input everyone.

Offline SupGen

• Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2014, 09:30:36 pm »
  Well, I just got my Karhu surplus skis and they are definitely worth the money. With my tape they measure out at 85-70-80, they're a little softer than my E-99s but way stiffer than my old Karhu XCD Supremes; I'd say camber and a half. Hey Hoop, you should take a look at these, I think they might be your old Orions in wolf's clothing! Oh yeah, did the Orions have a groove in the base? These do not. All in all, I can't wait to give these a try.

Oh yeah, I forgot one very important thing; they have a sticker on the side that says "Made in Canada"!
« Last Edit: February 20, 2014, 09:50:00 pm by SupGen »

Offline HOOP

• Administrator
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2014, 08:15:00 am »
  Well, I just got my Karhu surplus skis and they are definitely worth the money. With my tape they measure out at 85-70-80, they're a little softer than my E-99s but way stiffer than my old Karhu XCD Supremes; I'd say camber and a half. Hey Hoop, you should take a look at these, I think they might be your old Orions in wolf's clothing! Oh yeah, did the Orions have a groove in the base? These do not. All in all, I can't wait to give these a try.

Oh yeah, I forgot one very important thing; they have a sticker on the side that says "Made in Canada"!

Hi SupGen,  Sounds like you scored a great deal!  That profile is exactly what my Orion's have printed on the top sheet.   Mine are also softer than the E99's, but are stiffer than a floppy recent pure telemark or AT ski, and Karhu always marketed them as a camber and a half, which I would agree with.  Are your skis waxable or do they have the Omnitrack fish scale waxless base?  Mine have the latter with no groove in the scales.  They have 2 shallow grooves fore and aft of the scales, and the grooves taper out to nothing for the tip and tail, occupying about half of the non scaled base. 

Karhu's used to be made in the factory near Montreal.  Like many ski makers, Karhu packed up and went to China, and we know what happened soon after.    Glad to hear you got the authentic Canadian-made product! 
My Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/Wintertrekker

"I firmly believe that far from hurting the planet, the growing knowledge of Bushcraft is helping our natural world. When we employ bushcraft skills, it may seem as though we are consuming natural resources.  But of course, the more we learn about the trees, the plants, the animals around us, the more we respect them. The more we respect them, the more we cherish them, the more we nurture and take care of them. That is the underlying principle of Bushcraft.

Offline exophysical

• Warming Up
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2014, 09:58:49 am »

Thanks for the update, cant wait until mine get here. I was under the impression these were waxable skis, would that be correct?

Offline SupGen

• Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2014, 05:43:13 pm »
  Yeah, these are waxable; no fishscales and no groove, either. They do look like fun, though.

Offline exophysical

• Warming Up
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2014, 03:13:39 am »
This might be a dumb question but what is the significance of "no groove"?

Online Moondog55

• Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 22, 2014, 04:18:12 pm »
These days nothing much, but on steep runs it allows pressurised air to escape so the ski is on contact with the snow, if the ski looses contact and floats on a cushion of air you can't turn

Online Bothwell Voyageur

• Vendor - Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
    • CanoePaddler
« Reply #22 on: February 22, 2014, 05:36:40 pm »
Air?

I struggled to Google a definitive answer but thought it was to do with water? The friction of the ski melts the snow which allows the ski to slide.

(this is one of the reasons toboggans don't slide in really cold weather- the snow doesn't melt so friction is high)

If the water film builds up too much you start to get drag so you need to have some way for the water to get out.

I guess you could always add a groove with a small router plane?
www.canoepaddler.net for custom made gear and fireboxes