View the most recent posts on the forum.

Author Topic: Enough Snow Already!!!  (Read 6949 times)

Offline HOOP

• Administrator
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
Enough Snow Already!!!
« on: February 21, 2014, 05:45:09 pm »
I never thought I would say this, but we have "too much" snow!  We do not need anymore this winter, please and thank you.  We just got slammed with a foot of snow overnight, and more on the way.  We already had about a good 3 feet (1 meter) on the ground already.  And its  blowing making huge drifts.  I have had to shovel 2-3 foot drifts out of my driveway and walk several times this winter, and am running out of places to put all the snow. Took me several hours to shovel out today.  My driveway is a drift magnet.  I have not been out on the lakes lately, and I am dreading new overflows of slush hazards.  Man, what a winter so far in northwestern Ontario!  Old time winter.....maybe the ice age is coming after all, like "they" were saying in the '70's?....  Ha, I wish!  :)
My Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/Wintertrekker

"I firmly believe that far from hurting the planet, the growing knowledge of Bushcraft is helping our natural world. When we employ bushcraft skills, it may seem as though we are consuming natural resources.  But of course, the more we learn about the trees, the plants, the animals around us, the more we respect them. The more we respect them, the more we cherish them, the more we nurture and take care of them. That is the underlying principle of Bushcraft.

Offline awbrown: N. Illinois, USA

• Supporter
  • Hauling Sled
    • View Profile
Re: Enough Snow Already!!!
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2014, 06:39:29 pm »
Yep, it's been an interesting winter down here in the colonies also. Either snow or cold in the middle and eastern part of the country, or dry and hot in the west. We've had a harder winter here in northern Illinois then they've had in Anchorage.

Now, yesterday we had rain, thunderstorms and tornadoes. Fourteen tornadoes in five states yesterday. What's next. Back into the polar vortex next week.
I love winter......I don't look fat in wool!

Offline theDuck

• Hauling Sled
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2014, 09:15:41 pm »
Send your unwanted snow further south Hoop. I'm not minding this at all. Lake Huron is mostly frozen over which means we get some blue skies instead of purpetual gloom like other winters.

Offline ravinerat

• Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2014, 09:16:18 pm »
Don't worry. After my trip next week I will stop doing the daily snow dance. I have run out of places to throw my snow. I have moved my snow banks back several times. I do love the the harsh winter. From -24c last weekend to +4c the next weekend.

RR
Time waits for no one!

Offline customknife

• Stoking the Woodstove
  • Warm and dry
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2014, 09:40:49 pm »
Even in Chicago we're in the top five snow years on record and we'll likely be in the top three or four before it is over.  Just returned from the Michigan UP where they just set a record for consecutive days below freezing at 75 days and they have mountains of snow.  Had to wear my snow shoes around camp for the first three days before the snow finally firmed up enough to walk on with my muks.  Based on the post holes I made when I slipped out of my snow shoes there must have been three feet of snow on the ground.  I was there five days and we easily picked up a foot of snow over that period with temps ranging from 26F to below zero F.  It took some effort to dig out my tent and pull all the ice off of it and I had it in my living room for a couple days before it finally dried out.  It has been a great winter.

Online memaquay

• Supporter
  • Hauling Sled
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2014, 09:44:12 pm »
I'm with ya Hoop!  I'm three hours northeast of Hoop, and we just had a huge dump today!  My igloo is almost buried!  Tomorrow, despite all the fun things I want to do, I have to take a snow rake and rake the five feet of snow off my roof.  The old log cabin is looking kind of weary carrying that load!

Offline brianw

• Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2014, 10:20:52 pm »
I would have never expected to hear the phrase, NO MORE SNOW, on a winter camping forum. ;) 

For many areas, mine included (Oshawa, Ontario), this is the first proper winter we've had in 15 years or so.  So I don't mind it in the least. 

Although, I an with Ravinerat,  We went from a pretty cold weekend last weekned, to +5C and lots of rain today.  The long range forecast shows the temps dropping back to the negative double digits.

As for HOOP.  I guess it is time to find alternate routes into your back country areas that have a minimum of lake travel.  No slush to deal with.  Just deep snow.  That is what many in the central area of Ontario (Algonquin Park and area) have had to do.  For many winters ice travel was a very hit and miss proposition, so many just planned routes that avoided lake travel. 

Cheers

Brian

Offline GearFreak

• Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
    • Alpha Whisky Adventures
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2014, 11:40:09 pm »
Same in Winnipeg, Drifts in back yard are 6feet, and the front an easy 12 by the street.   Its deep, I live in a flood plain but they say its all good so far.

As long as it melts and the ice is off for May 4th and I can fish.   
"Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not."

Dr. Seuss - "The Lorax"

Offline Haggis

• Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2014, 07:01:35 am »
Aye, snowed out for the year, and snowed in for the week-end. Daughter #4 came to visit yesterday and had to snowshoe in to our cottage. She said some of the drifts were chest high to her. I've not been out to the road as of yet, but I do suppose, if I can find any place to put it, I'll need plow the snow out of the way before Monday; Herself still teaches. The beauty of being retired is, I don't mind being snowed in, the down side is, everyone else wants to come visit, without needing to snowshoe in.
“It is tedious to live; it is tedious to die; it is tedious to c**p in deep snow”
Old Norwegian Observation

Offline sleddawg

• Supporter
  • Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
    • Rhum Line Marine
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2014, 11:09:24 am »

Also the most snow I've seen in many years, an epic winter.  One great benefit in Southern Ont. farm country is the fields have a good cover of snow which has all but eliminated the usual wind errosion and water tables will have a chance to recover.  There was talk that this could be the new norm but that will remain to be seen.

I've been out twice so far and have a couple more trips to do, work and whatshername notwithstanding.

Cheers,
Ken
I, haul the sled so therefore I am "the" dawg.....

Offline MizMoosie

• Supporter
  • Warming Up
    • View Profile
    • Winter Rendezvous 2012
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2014, 12:05:54 pm »
Does it look something like this?

Or this? (My walk from garage to house)

This is as close as my vehicles will get to the garage till maybe May???

Winner of the 2009 "Golden Spatula" cooking award at the Winter Camping symposium.  Winning recipe:  Filet Mignon in a wine, garlic & mustard sauce, served over orzo and accompanied by caramelized broccoli and washed down with Black Currant Mead.

Offline Mangrove

• Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2014, 12:11:41 pm »
Meanwhile in Finland.
Warmest February for 24 years in some parts
Data from the Finnish Meteorological Institute shows that temperatures at the beginning of the month were up to 8 degrees warmer than average in the north and parts of the centre of the country.

Offline Mike B.

• Warming Up
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2014, 12:57:42 pm »
I was thinking about getting a set of bear paw snowshoes next season, then we get another 10" of snow!  No need to wait now, I just called in the order.  I would like to blame Hoop.  I think that he suggested that person might need up to five different styles of snowshoe.  Only two more to go.

Mike
"You can pay me when you see me again Josie Wales"

Offline Mike

• Hauling Sled
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2014, 11:10:46 am »
GEEEEEEEEZ, now I have heard everything. Hoops complaining about too much snow. I guess now hell is going to freeze over. I will remember this Hoops the next time you complain about too little snow:-)
Mike

Offline awbrown: N. Illinois, USA

• Supporter
  • Hauling Sled
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2014, 03:29:52 pm »
GEEEEEEEEZ, now I have heard everything. Hoops complaining about too much snow. I guess now hell is going to freeze over. I will remember this Hoops the next time you complain about too little snow:-)

Moderation in everything my son, moderation in everything. Anyone in Ontario or Minnesota want to start a pool on when ice out will occur?
I love winter......I don't look fat in wool!