View the most recent posts on the forum.

Author Topic: Waxless ski storage  (Read 3667 times)

Offline ravinerat

• Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
Waxless ski storage
« on: March 09, 2014, 08:30:43 am »
I got my back Counrty Skis out last night. I'm going to head off into the bush for the day. So when I have stored them in the past I coat the entire bottom with wax including the Fish scales. Last night I spent considerable time scraping off the old wax on the fish scales. Is there another way to store the skis? Mainly concerned about the fish scale section.

RR
Time waits for no one!

Offline michel

• Warming Up
    • View Profile
Re: Waxless ski storage
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2014, 08:11:16 pm »
you can use ski wax remover or if you do not have try some w40.make sure to not put any on gliding section.

Offline Kaifus

• Supporter
  • Hauling Sled
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2014, 10:52:52 pm »
Paint thinner works good as a wax remover. I'm not sure why you would be waxing the entire bottom for storage. I've never done that and don't think I've heard of it suggested for storing skis.

Offline Moondog55

• Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2014, 11:27:45 pm »
Stops the plastic drying out, I usually tho just PJ the steel edges and wipe the excess over the base
PJ is easy to wipe off with almost any solvent

Offline ravinerat

• Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2014, 08:14:34 am »
you should wax the base to seal it for storage so they don't dry out. It has just been a lot of work each season to scrape off the wax on the fish scales. Half the time I only use the skis once or twice. I did get some wax remover but it didn't seem to work real well. Between scraping and the remover it seemed to come off. I'll look into the other products today.

Thanks RR
Time waits for no one!

Offline gmcinty

• Coming in From the Cold
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2014, 12:59:16 pm »
There is no need to put a summer coat of wax on the fish scales. If you are using solvants to clean the wax off you're probably doing more harm than good.

Also the whole idea of leaving storage wax on your glide zones is based on a sintered base. Skis with extruded bases don't really need wax at all. A sintered base is porous and the wax soaks into the pores; an extruded one is not and waxing/scraping doesn't really do anything. You can tell which kind of base you have by looking at it to look for a porous structure. A magnifying glass helps. Note that some extruded bases still have a pattern ground into them so they may look somewhat like a sintered base. Higher-end skis should have sintered bases. Lower-end ones have extruded bases. 

Offline ravinerat

• Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2014, 04:04:56 pm »
Thanks for all the info. I am learning more all the time. My bases are not  sintered. That would be the base you use the wire (soft) brush on correct? I did use some wax remover and wiped it off with soap and water right away. I pretty much got all the wax off the fish scale section by picking/scraping it off. Had a good ski yesterday but boy my balance is off big time. The dog sure liked me laying on the snow. I did buy a product today by Swix. Nordic easy glide for wax less skis. It comes as a dabber. I really need some new skis as these are pretty old now but have some good miles on them. Thanks for all the help everyone.

RR
Time waits for no one!

Offline Moondog55

• Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2014, 11:03:12 pm »
And some CC skis have a mixture. the pattern is a separate plastic dropped into the ski and the front and rear sections are sintered and porous, it is simply easier for me to PJ the whole ski but a petroleum solvent should not harm either type of base, I wouldn't use MEK or similar tho. It is very important to protect the edges from rusting, if the steel edges get too rusty the ski can separate
Edges need to be filed too, they need to be sharp to bite if you encounter hard snow or ice