View the most recent posts on the forum.

Author Topic: Garmont Excursions?  (Read 1672 times)

Offline exophysical

• Warming Up
    • View Profile
Garmont Excursions?
« on: March 09, 2014, 01:52:46 pm »
Hello, I've been doing some skiing on the military surplus Karhus and I've decided that I'm going to need some boots with more support for next year. I'm just using some Snowfield type x country boots right now but next year I'm planning to tackle some more challenging hills, I'm thinking of getting some Garmont Excursions and using them when skiing steeper terrain. I'm curious if anyone has these boots and how they like them, obviously they will be more downhill oriented than the boots I'm currently using, but will they work for covering ground in rolling terrain or should I be looking for a leather boot?

Offline Kaifus

• Supporter
  • Hauling Sled
    • View Profile
Re: Garmont Excursions?
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2014, 10:58:03 pm »
Unless your going down mountains they look uncomfortable to me.  I have leather 3-pin Crispy Mountain boots and I don't even bother taking any other winter boots with me on my trips. I have down booties that I wear around camp and to bed and the Crispy's the rest of the time and they are comfortable for a variety of things.

Offline Moondog55

• Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
Re: Garmont Excursions?
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2014, 11:25:45 pm »
Depends on how wide your feet are, the Garmonts [ Now Scott] have one of the wider lasts in the business.
If the fit is good they are at the beginners end of that market and quite good for touring but not quite stiff enough for really steep hills and /or wider skis.
These boots are much warmer than the leather boot depending on how much you want to spend on the custom fit liners
I ski in Scarpa T2 and T-1 the Excursion are far to fat and wide for my feet