View the most recent posts on the forum.

Author Topic: Auger'd out – almost!  (Read 1913 times)

Offline HOOP

• Administrator
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
Auger'd out – almost!
« on: March 16, 2014, 05:42:36 PM »
[/URL]

I forgot to bring the auger extension on my March Break solo trip.  I almost regretted it!  I barely was able to cut through the ice.  This photo shows a standard Mora/Normark auger at max just as it cut through the bottom of the ice.

Only about half that is blue ice on the bottom.  The rest is white ice which is various layers of the slush sandwich.  Next time in March I will attach the extension before leaving home!

And yes there was fish involved.  Caught this nice little eater lake trout, and a couple others!

[/URL]

My Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/Wintertrekker

"I firmly believe that far from hurting the planet, the growing knowledge of Bushcraft is helping our natural world. When we employ bushcraft skills, it may seem as though we are consuming natural resources.  But of course, the more we learn about the trees, the plants, the animals around us, the more we respect them. The more we respect them, the more we cherish them, the more we nurture and take care of them. That is the underlying principle of Bushcraft.

Offline Bioguide

• Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
Re: Auger'd out – almost!
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2014, 05:52:03 PM »
That is a lot of ice Hoop.

Solo for a week...sweet. I'll be completing my first solo trip next year for sure as my son has gotten older and has discovered the girls.

Cheers, Bioguide

Offline Hutchy

• Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2014, 06:02:01 PM »
Nice fish Hoop! Not that I want it to, but will this winter ever end? March 13th I buried a power auger on georgain bay also trying to set a beaver house! Darn near four feet! I will wait for spring to set that one..haha

Hutch
Used to be the man made the gear, now it seems the gear makes the man...

Offline michel

• Warming Up
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2014, 07:25:14 PM »
I was just thinking about that today . I went fishing 2 weeks ago and was almost out .Got the same auger. If short a few inch I can use the axe, the lake I go is dry on top. It is a lake full of small trout so I only bring a 5 inches auger.