View the most recent posts on the forum.

Author Topic: Help needed with stove to pipe connection  (Read 4114 times)

Offline Hutchy

• Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
Help needed with stove to pipe connection
« on: March 17, 2014, 08:47:23 pm »
Hey guys. I am slowly building this ti stove (ti box stove build thead) Dimnsions ar 11x11x 18 inches ade out of 0.012 titanium.

I am using a roll up stove pipe out of 0.005 ti, and was wondering how to make the turn from the hole in the top of the stove to the pipe. Logic would say that the easiest would be to make it go straight up out of the top of the stove. I cannot do this because I have designed the stove jack in the tent to have it go on an angle. WOul dbe a major proble to redesign the tent. Not impossible, just a real pain. I also want the pipe out there a bit to avoid sparks just dropping down in calm conditions. Not 45 degrees, maybe like sixty to seventy.

I am putting a baffle in the stove, So I cant just stick the pipe through a hole in the top of the stove, and angle it a bit. I don't think I can cut an angle on the pipe to allow it to clear the baffle either.

The plan was to make a damper out of steel wire and a round piece of titanium, and cut two slots in the end of the pipe that goes in the stove so that the pipe is held from dropping into the stove by the wire of the damper.

Any ideas on how to make the turn? I cant weld anything either, too thin, and I am trying to keep the roll up pipe overlap small as well so I can have as large a diameter pipe as possible.

Any ideas?

Hutch
Used to be the man made the gear, now it seems the gear makes the man...

Offline HOOP

• Administrator
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
Re: Help needed with stove to pipe connection
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2014, 09:12:10 pm »
Hi Hutchy,

I cannot quite envision what you mean, but maybe I can.  At this past falls Winter Camping Symposium, I saw a brilliant home made stove design with a baffle and a top back side rectangular fitting that transitioned to a round pipe joint, for typical angle pipe exit like what you want.  I don't recall if I got a photo of it, but the fitting looks something like this angle boot duct work pipe:

http://www.homedepot.ca/wcsstore/HomeDepotCanada/images/catalog/17074.0AB341004HD_3.jpg

This exited the stove at the back, so the entire stove top surface was use-able for pots and pans.  it was brilliant! 
My Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/Wintertrekker

"I firmly believe that far from hurting the planet, the growing knowledge of Bushcraft is helping our natural world. When we employ bushcraft skills, it may seem as though we are consuming natural resources.  But of course, the more we learn about the trees, the plants, the animals around us, the more we respect them. The more we respect them, the more we cherish them, the more we nurture and take care of them. That is the underlying principle of Bushcraft.

Offline Hutchy

• Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2014, 09:21:58 pm »
hmm...I wish I could take a picture, but I am afraid all you would see is a box and a straight pipe. I am trying to conceptualize it before doing any cutting. I just need to make a straight pipe come out of the top of a stove at an angle without any fancy multi-directional elbow thingy...

Your idea to have to have it come out of the back is something to think about...I didn't think of that. It is exactly what I need some outside the, ahem, titanium box thinking...

Hutch

Offline Hutchy

• Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2014, 09:30:08 pm »
Now that I think about it,  can you buy a 4 inch diameter, 30 degree metal elbow?

My pipe will be three and a half inches diameter. I could simply reduce the elbow somehow a half inch where it meets the pipe and use it as a keeper for the stove end of the pipe...and put the damper in the elbow. It would not be titanium, and would be heavier, but only an ounce or two..

May have solved my own problem here...

Hutch

Offline HOOP

• Administrator
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2014, 09:35:36 pm »
Maybe give Brian Maruska a call at Muskrat Metal Works.  Brian makes his own elbow fittings.  (Brian can make just about anything!)  Bet he could fix you up for what you need.    http://www.muskratmetalworks.com/
My Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/Wintertrekker

"I firmly believe that far from hurting the planet, the growing knowledge of Bushcraft is helping our natural world. When we employ bushcraft skills, it may seem as though we are consuming natural resources.  But of course, the more we learn about the trees, the plants, the animals around us, the more we respect them. The more we respect them, the more we cherish them, the more we nurture and take care of them. That is the underlying principle of Bushcraft.

Offline Hutchy

• Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2014, 10:03:27 pm »
good call. I will try him out. i couldnt bear to have something from home depot on my stove anyway... :P

Hutch

Offline Bothwell Voyageur

• Vendor - Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
    • CanoePaddler
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2014, 08:42:27 am »
What you need is someone who builds custom exhaust systems for racing bikes! They are very used to creating multi-tapered tubes that twist and turn to fit into tight spaces. I had a guy in the UK build me one that was so strangely shaped that we christened it ET!

I have the same issue with a Ti goat stove. The standard pipes only go straight as they are the roll up design. An elbow halfway up would be much better. Fourdog include an elbow with there stoves though they don't say if it is titanium too. It's to big diameter for the tigoat stove anyway.
www.canoepaddler.net for custom made gear and fireboxes

Offline Hutchy

• Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2014, 10:40:58 am »
Even a light stainless would work. There is a guy here in town who is quite an artist with stainless. Decent price too. Maybe I could whip something together out of some thin stainless I have and he could weld it. I have to think budget also. This stove is going to be pricey when done. I hope thee darn thing works!

Hutch

Offline Kaifus

• Supporter
  • Hauling Sled
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2014, 11:10:43 pm »
Hutchy I was thinking about your stove and I know your trying to build as light as possible so I was wondering if it would work to use the properties of the rolled stove pipe to expand out to seal a hole for the stove pipe in the top of the stove. If that makes sense. I don't know what would happen to the spring action of the stove pipe after it's hot but the hole in the stove would be an oval to match the cross-section of the pipe at say a 50 degree angle and your pipe would expand out to match that hole, then you'd have your damper rod so the pipe couldn't drop down into the stove, and you'd have the entire bottom edge of the pipe bent at ninety degrees and notched every centimeter so you could still roll it and so it would help seal the hole and so the pipe couldn't pull out of the stove. The damper rod would pull the bent tabs up tight against the stove top to seal better. It would be easy and simple but I'm hesitant that it would seal good enough.

Offline Hutchy

• Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2014, 08:39:39 am »
I like the idea Kaifus. What I am struggling with now is the stove pipe itsself. I  know from what I have seen that the pipe is supossed to use the memory of the pipe to hold itsself open against the keepers. Well, I have made the keepers out of thin cable, and the pipe does not push out as hard as i figured it would. It is not even close to perfectly round. tear drop shape I guess.

Where the pipe meets its self it seems there are gaps. The only way I could see the stove to pipe joint working would be to put a more rigid collar inside the roll up pipe where it enters the stove, to hold it tight to the stove. Getting complicated.

I am considering riveting the thin pipe into 17 inch sections, buying crimping pliers for duct work and saying screw the rollup thing. Just make my own pipe sections. It is sounding good to me actually. They can just go into the stove, and I can forget the pain in the ass rollup pipe design. That kind of defeats the purpose of the roll up pipe, but it will allow me to get a larger diameter pipe. I am not liking the fact that the pipe is not sealing nicely. I was hoping also with the roll up pipe to be able to store cooking stuff in the stove, and with sections, there would not be enough room.

Also, the stove pipe may not be rigid enough to work in sections.

I dunno, I will think of something.

Hutch