View the most recent posts on the forum.

Author Topic: Welcome to WinterTrekking.com  (Read 18965 times)

Offline cousin Pete

• Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
Re: Welcome to WinterCampingForums.com
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2009, 09:12:15 pm »
Hello Harlan:  The website is amazing.   I have fairly decent camping skills and knowledge for three season camping.  However, this site has really opened my eyes to winter camping.  Prior to reading this site would have thought that a cotton anorak would have been useless(ie.  Cotton kills in the winter).  I realize now that it is the best thing for the outer layer.  I had never heard of anybody wearing wool pants in the winter.  Now I have ordered some.  Also, I had thought that gore-tex was the best outer layer in the winter.  Prior to last year I had only done some easy snow shoeing.  The gore-tex seemed okay in those conditions when you are not working up a sweat.  Last year though, I was soaked after doing some intense cross-country skiing.  At the time I did not attribute this to the gore-tex.  I thought that my layering system was messed up.  Now I will never be wearing gore-tex in the winter unless it is raining.  It is great to have a forum to ask questions to experienced winter campers who have a passion for the winter tripping.

Keep up the good work dude,
John's cousin Pete
"Tradition means giving votes to the most obscure of all classes, our ancestors. It is the democracy of the dead. Tradition refuses to submit to that arrogant oligarchy who merely happen to be walking around." - G.K. Chesterton, Orthodoxy, 1908

Offline alanw

• Coming in From the Cold
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2009, 02:31:40 pm »
I finally registered after hearing about the site from TomD via Jack via Rick or some such thing.  Great site.

Alan

Offline Tomd

• Hauling Sled
    • View Profile
    • Law Office of Thomas L. Difloure
« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2009, 05:33:29 pm »
Hi Alan,Good to see you here. Rick and the other good folks here have been giving me quite an education. :)

Offline FlatbowMB

• Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2009, 11:28:56 am »
I had just discovered this site about 10 days ago and find it extremely fascinating.  Can't help but check on it a few times a day.

Offline Dukeswharf

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2009, 12:06:34 pm »
Greetings,

I discovered this site based on a post made by Tomd over at trailspace.com. I have found it to be a fantastic pool of information, especially in relation to the varying materials worn like wool and cotton.

So much so, in fact, that I will be wearing mainly wool (base/mid) and cotton (outer shell) layers for my expedition to the South Pole. Down gear will be brought along (jacket/salopettes), but only in a backup capacity.

Many thanks
Andrew

Offline Tomd

• Hauling Sled
    • View Profile
    • Law Office of Thomas L. Difloure
« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2009, 06:54:20 pm »
Hi Andrew, I know you have a bunch of other posts here already.  Be sure to let us know when that new face mask of yours shows up.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2009, 07:01:31 pm by Tomd »

Offline theDuck

• Hauling Sled
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 04, 2009, 05:31:58 pm »
Found this place via canadiangunnutz. I've been spending my time reading before joining. I've learned a pile. I've never spent overnight in the bush in the winter. Just spent my days in the bush 'hunting' or more accurately, taking a gun for a walk. I'm off for a winter survival course this next week where I'll definitely be in the bush over a few nights.
 I am amazed and relieved at the sane approach people here take to being out in the winter. There is a lot of common sense and a lack of heroics. I commend you all. I won't have much to contribute but will definitely be lurking and learning. I thank you for this site and those who contribute.

Offline Ted

• Supporter
  • Hauling Sled
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 04, 2009, 06:38:26 pm »
Hi theDuck and welcome aboard.
Your comment I'm off for a winter survival course this next week where I'll definitely be in the bush over a few nights. has me interested.
Is something home-made, private or with the military?

You'll have to give us a little feedback any good info/ideas you picked up.

I'm always enjoyed taking well-run/well thought out survival courses.

cheers Ted
http://www.parkerclan.ca
To the Silent Places

Offline theDuck

• Hauling Sled
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 04, 2009, 06:46:12 pm »
It is with Survival Canada. Most of the class I understand is RCMP Aviation types  with a few of us extras tossed in. I'll report back when done

Offline michel

• Warming Up
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 13, 2009, 04:41:40 pm »
Thank you very much for your advice on back country ski. I did buy fisher E99 205cm no wax with salomon x adventure 5 boots.I went to winnipeg but they have noting in stock so I did order of the internet.I base my choice from your advice and it turn out awesome I just love the ski & boots.thanks from Michel.

Offline Trailpatrol

• Stoking the Woodstove
  • Retired Park Ranger/Wilderness Medical Instructor
    • View Profile
    • Backcountry Trail Patrol
« Reply #25 on: March 11, 2009, 09:25:02 am »
Out of curiosity, how many posts does it take to stop being a "Newbie"? What are the other membership catagories? How do you get to be an "Oldbie"? ???
"My country isn't a country, it is winter" - Gilles Vigneault

Offline Oldand Fat

• Supporter
  • Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 11, 2009, 09:55:17 am »
Out of curiosity, how many posts does it take to stop being a "Newbie"? What are the other membership catagories? How do you get to be an "Oldbie"? ???

I think I became a Jr.Member on my 50th post. I know I may grow old but I'm never growing up, so Jr is about right. :P

"The Man' will likely inform us of the correct answer.
Stay safe
OAF

Health Canada:WARNING
Petting bears may result in Death and/or Dismemberment.
Respect is required when dealing with a bear.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2009, 01:07:30 pm by Oldand Fat »
“ We have this one life to appreciate the grand design of the universe and for that, I am extremely grateful.” Stephen Hawking. 1942 - 2018

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.
Mark Twain

Offline jake

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 07, 2009, 10:50:30 pm »
Hello to you Harlan and HOOP.
Congrads on the site. HOpe to spend   more time on the site in the coming months.  :o
Woolman

Offline steven

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 10, 2009, 02:16:49 am »
hi harlon.this site is really amazing & interesting for sharing our experience about winter camping..this site is good for campers who have always curious for the winter tripping.  :)

Offline wildernesstony12

• Hauling Sled
    • View Profile
Re: Welcome to WinterTrekking.com
« Reply #29 on: January 18, 2013, 03:47:10 pm »
i have done solo cold camping a lot but this site should be a lot of info. i am from usa mass. very little snow but still a bit cold so it is still nice sitting buy the fire and looking at the stars have a brew and than get in a nice warm bag ( sleeping bag ) makes you want to get up and just go. WHAAAAAAHOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ;)