View the most recent posts on the forum.

Author Topic: Welcome to WinterTrekking.com  (Read 18331 times)

Offline Hephaestus

• Coming in From the Cold
    • View Profile
Re: Welcome to WinterTrekking.com
« Reply #30 on: March 31, 2013, 10:22:14 AM »
I couldn't find an introduction thread anywhere.
I bought a 5 man arctic tent off "theDuck" on Friday with intentions of getting out to do some winter camping next year with the gf.
I've spent the last 8-9 years as a welder and I'm from Barrie, Ontario.

Cheers!

Offline Jeff

• Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 31, 2013, 11:21:10 AM »
Hi and welcome...

Dreaming of next winter...you are in the same boat as the rest of us  :)

Jeff

Offline HOOP

• Administrator
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #32 on: April 02, 2013, 09:38:50 PM »
Welcome Hephaestus!
My Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/Wintertrekker

"I firmly believe that far from hurting the planet, the growing knowledge of Bushcraft is helping our natural world. When we employ bushcraft skills, it may seem as though we are consuming natural resources.  But of course, the more we learn about the trees, the plants, the animals around us, the more we respect them. The more we respect them, the more we cherish them, the more we nurture and take care of them. That is the underlying principle of Bushcraft.

Offline Dick Waskey

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 19, 2013, 04:08:35 PM »
Hello!

My name is Dick Waskey and I live in Scandia Minnesota.  I have been winter camping in some type of form for 45 years.  That was really weird to write because I had never thought about how long it’s been…. I have slept in tents ice fishing out on Milacs lake, slept with out shelter deer hunting in the big woods and on the shores of Lake Superior.  Made dozens of quinzees and snow shoed or skied into the Boundary Waters Canoe Area many times.  Often my trips are with kids and a few times I’ve been alone.  I have taught a few winter camping classes and have taught  a Scout merit in winter camping a few times.   I still fell like I’m learning about winter camping and hope to keep getting better and better. 

If I could tell you anything unique about my way of camping it would be that I rarely if ever buy gear made for winter camping.  I either use home made things, second hand items or re-use gear I already own.  I do not look very stylish in the woods…My scouts and I have also built  some of the largest quinzees you will ever find and that is a fun way to introduce kids to sleeping out in the winter.    Speaking of being stylish… I recently joined a group “Frontier camping fellowship” and we camp in pre-civil war style.   I now have to have an “Outfit” and will be putting together something that resembles a “Coureur des Bois” (Free Trapper).  Mostly wool and deerskin…w/pyramid tents…not sure if I have to use blankets and skins???

I am looking forward to joining with each of you and sharing and learning new things.  I have yet to do the “Warm Tent” deal.  It just has never seemed to be worth the extra effort.  Now that I am on the cusp of turning 60… maybe I’ll think about it.  I’ll have to get a couple young bucks to come along and haul in the stove and big tent…

Regards,

Two Beads

AKA- “Sputzi”
Mn Lost Boy
AKA "Two Beads", AKA "Sputze"

Having peeked momentarily into paradise below zero, their mundane lives could never again be quite the same.   -Rutstrum

Offline bopdude

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 24, 2017, 05:52:42 AM »
Hi and thanks for having me, found this place too late I think, I have read a bit of the forum, only scratched it, I'm from the North East of the United Kingdom, starting to get into cold camping, we were in Sweden January 2017 with temps from -8 to -23 C, hot tenting is the dream but still short of a proper set up, anyway, look forward to the chats :)

Offline Bothwell Voyageur

• Vendor - Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
    • CanoePaddler
« Reply #35 on: November 24, 2017, 10:21:02 AM »
Hi and thanks for having me, found this place too late I think, I have read a bit of the forum, only scratched it, I'm from the North East of the United Kingdom, starting to get into cold camping, we were in Sweden January 2017 with temps from -8 to -23 C, hot tenting is the dream but still short of a proper set up, anyway, look forward to the chats :)

Welcome to the site. I'm formerly from the UK but now live in Canada. We never made it to Sweden in winter though did spend one Christmas in Norway.
www.canoepaddler.net for custom made gear and fireboxes

Offline bopdude

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 24, 2017, 12:51:11 PM »

Welcome to the site. I'm formerly from the UK but now live in Canada. We never made it to Sweden in winter though did spend one Christmas in Norway.

Thanks for the welcome, Canada would have been the dream but a bit long in the tooth now me thinks ? I can dream lol

Offline Jeff

• Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 28, 2017, 10:32:07 AM »

Thanks for the welcome, Canada would have been the dream but a bit long in the tooth now me thinks ? I can dream lol

Hi...and welcome...

You might be surprised... Canada can be very alluring...you just might find yourself here one day..

Take care

Jeff

Offline Yeoman

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 05, 2018, 02:29:54 PM »
Hi all,
I'm not sure if introductions are done on this forum or not but thought I'd better be safe than sorry.
I've been winter camping on and off for over thirty years but have decided to try to be a bit more sophisticated about it these days and so thought I'd become active here. I've lurked every now and then for the past few years when I needed to know something specific.
Anyway, I look forward to doing some serious learning and hope people like answering questions (I promise to use the search function before I ask though).
Many thanks,
Yeo
Learning: a continuation of the failure process