View the most recent posts on the forum.

Author Topic: Trip planning from NY to Canada: Winter 2014 - 2015  (Read 7746 times)

Offline Bioguide

• Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
Trip planning from NY to Canada: Winter 2014 - 2015
« on: April 07, 2014, 09:47:54 pm »
I am planning to complete a full 7 day camping trip next winter and on that trip I want to experience collecting and using standing dead wood for my fuel and sleeping on fresh cut spruce boughs and in order for that to happen I'm going to have to head north across the border. I'm about 5.5 hrs south of the Parc national du Mont-Tremblant and the La Mauricie National Park in Quebec. I searched the forums for both of these parks and it doesn't look like anyone has reported on winter camping in either park. If anyone has been winter camping in either would you be willing to share or suggest a camping area? I'm interested in base camping within a couple of kilometers of the car and hauling the sled to a spot, collecting spruce boughs, cutting my own standing dead wood, doing some cross country skiing/snowshoe day trips, and (depending on the cost of a fishing license) some ice fishing. I would greatly appreciate any suggestions for camping spots. I'd also be interested in any advice or information that you think I may need planning for such a trip (yes I have my passport already) i.e. park permission, fishing licence and contact information for such.

Oh, and maybe just maybe hear a wolf howl or at least see their tracks.

Cheers, Bioguide
« Last Edit: April 07, 2014, 10:11:03 pm by Bioguide: New York State, USA Adirondack Park »

Offline AunNordDuNord

• Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
Re: Trip planning from NY to Canada: Winter 2014 - 2015
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2014, 10:48:02 pm »
Being from Quebec originally, if I remember, you won't be allowed to cut trees(boughs) inside the park boundaries. But I might be wrong since I've left 17 years ago….

Why don't you just find some crown land, I think it would be easier/cheeper than going into parks. I'm sure some one can help you finding a good spot, that would have  all what you need.

How's your french? even if you speak it just a bit, it would help.

If you want, I could possibly put you in contact with some people. PM me if you'd like!
Cheers

Offline wintair

• Supporter
  • Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2014, 08:53:54 am »
For what you're planning to do, forget the parks. Here's a link that will give you an idea on regulations:
http://www.sepaq.com/pq/conserver/reglementation.dot?language_id=1

It leaves you with two choices, ZEC (Controlled Harvesting Zone) or public land (Crown land).

A ZEC is  a protected area administered by a non lucrative association. One has to register when accessing the territory and pay minimal fees. Camping (no trace) is allowed everywhere but it's better to call ahead of time for information. To give you an idea, here are a few links for a ZEC (there are 63 ZEC in Quebec) close to the area you mentioned (2 hour drive from Montreal). It's mainly in french, but it will give you an idea:
http://www.zeclavigne.com/english-info/
video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ohP9F2LaJX8

Fishing and hunting are the main activities in ZECs, but weirdos like us wanting to do winter camping are welcome. I'm going to call for infos and can report my findings if someone is interested.

Camping is of course allowed on public land, but the problem is to find a good spot "easily" accessible. Unfortunately, the maps depicting the boundaries (public vs private) are not accessible to a regular Jo in Quebec. There are some very good spots, but often the roads are not maintained in the winter. I'm actually working on finding some fairly accessible areas using pretty well the same requirements you described.
If God had meant birds to fly, He would've given them engines.

Offline Jeff

• Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2014, 09:50:16 am »
Indeed you will not be cutting trees in provincial parks...and crown (public) land seems to be a guarded secret here...

« Last Edit: April 08, 2014, 10:02:51 am by Jeff »

Offline ravinerat

• Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2014, 03:34:43 pm »
In Ontario we have the Crown Land Atlas on line. I wonder If Quebec has a similar resource?

RR
Time waits for no one!

Offline Bioguide

• Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2014, 05:25:14 pm »
Alright, this is good information to start with. Thank you.

I see the difference between park, crown, and ZEC lands and will do some further web searching/reading about them. I did come across this site: http://www.quebecgeographique.gouv.qc.ca/ and  http://carte.allonspecher.com/ which I'll explore further. If anyone else has any comments/ideas for a camping trip in this area please chime in.

Another option since a ZEC land track is about 2 hrs further north of Montreal, this puts my total drive time around 5.5 to 6 hrs, maybe I should just consider heading over to Ontario and do a trip in the Algonquin Provincial Park as it is about a 7 hr drive for me. Either way I'm looking at a two day drive before/after a 7 day camping trip. I bet those spruce boughs will make the trip worth it however.

Bioguide

Offline brianw

• Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2014, 05:40:13 pm »

Another option since a ZEC land track is about 2 hrs further north of Montreal, this puts my total drive time around 5.5 to 6 hrs, maybe I should just consider heading over to Ontario and do a trip in the Algonquin Provincial Park as it is about a 7 hr drive for me. Either way I'm looking at a two day drive before/after a 7 day camping trip. I bet those spruce boughs will make the trip worth it however.

Bioguide

Camping in Algonquin Park is great.  However they don't allow you to cut live vegetation for firewood.  So that means no spruce bough beds.  However the dead standing firewood is free for the taking.  Also in winter in Algonquin you can camp anywhwere as long as you are 100' from any trail, water source or summer camp site.

Cheers

Brian

Offline southcove

• Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2014, 02:55:56 pm »

This is a bit off subject/questions, but... have you looked into any of the hunting clubs in the ADK Park?   About ten years ago I went twice w a friend who had membership in the Blue Mtn Club (I think) and they had some sweet trails, camping spots and small ponds, and most wood was fair game.   And their parking lot gates are normally plowed out too.

In the park proper, have you traveled into Lake Lila /Little Tupper & Round Lakes, the SW end of Cranberry Lake, Low's Lake or the new Boreas Pond area?    We've done some neat cold camping (and kayak camping too) in most of those areas and are planning several return trips in the future. *

Twice in the last 3 years we've heard what was the (almost) unmistakable howl of a wolf which counterpointed coyote howls, barks, yips and singing...just didn't sound like the same creature to us at all.   Neat to think about it, maybe it's so? 

And then there are huge parts of ME and the Northern Kingdom I haven't yet gained access to or experience in...

*been thinking maybe we need a ultra low key ADK Rendezvous in 2015?

Offline Bioguide

• Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2014, 09:05:52 am »
Hello Southcove, an Adirondack Rendezvous would be interesting.

Thanks for the idea about hunting club land I hadn't thought about that and will keep this in mind, membership however would likely be required for its use. I've also been to Lake Lila /Little Tupper, Round Lake, and the SW end of Cranberry Lake as well. I have not however visited Low's Lake or the new Boreas Pond area. Maine would also have numerous potential areas for winter camping but would likely have similar restrictions as the Adirondacks for wood collection and use of boughs etc. What I would really like to experience is winter camping in the thick boreal forest, with plenty of standing dead wood for the taking, and collecting/using spruce boughs for floor.

Offline southcove

• Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2014, 09:24:18 am »

Understood what your primary goal was.  I was thinking of alternatives that would be readily possibles in the NE of the USA.   It would be neat to experience that true boreal fir forest, rather than what we have in any section of the northeast.    And not to have to hump in your own cut firewood or bio bricks.  Been there, do that!

Its Road Trip, then.

Given our lengthy drive time to ADK Park, even that extra 45 minutes each way (going to Cranberry Lake, Low's Lake, Saranac Lakes) from our normal haunts on a all too short weekend comes out of us somewhere... and never enough time either.   Some do, certainly, I don't.   And always keeping my eye out for  areas to give a whirl in the winter.   

Next up for me, Black Flies!