View the most recent posts on the forum.

Author Topic: Muskrat metalworks v fourdog  (Read 7047 times)

Offline Hutchy

• Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
Muskrat metalworks v fourdog
« on: April 09, 2014, 12:38:44 pm »
Just comparing the titanium ul2 from four dog and the full size from muskrat.

The listed weight for the ul2 is 14 lbs, and the listed weight for the full size is 12..

The titanium ul is an inch longer... , but two pounds heavier. The fourdog is pipe and everything, but even if the pipe and side shelf weighed five pounds on the muskrat, it is only three pounds heavier.

And like 600 bucks more for the fourdog to save three pounds? Am I missing something?

Hutch
Used to be the man made the gear, now it seems the gear makes the man...

Offline into the wind

• Supporter
  • Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
Re: Muskrat metalworks v fourdog
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2014, 06:16:06 pm »
I really like the looks of the muskrat stoves, but don't have one. I do have a 4 dog ti stove. One thing about ti is that it lasts a long time. Of course most people on this site don't go out that often, so a well cared for steel stove should last a long time. I got my ti stove when Don first started making them for about 1/3 the cost they are now. The price of metals really shot up. Both stoves are very well made as is the kni-co. Of course the really cool thing about ti stoves is fireing them up and watching the colors come out. Got to be worth at least 600.00 isn't it? < insert grin here.

Offline brianw

• Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2014, 06:57:27 pm »
One thing to consider on the muskrat metal works stove, is that the 12 pounds is for the stove body alone.  I looked up the weight of 22 gauge galvanized steel and it is 1.4 pounds per square foot.  So I am thinking the total package weight with shelf and stove pipe is a few pounds more than what is listed.

I have a Four Dog Ultralight IDX model with baffle and side shelf and I think it weighs just a hair under 10 pounds for the stove body, shelf and stove pipe.  It is a fantastic stove and works extremely well.  It sure was spendy when I got it, but I expect it to last a life time.

Cheers

Brian

Offline Hutchy

• Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2014, 09:12:30 pm »
I figured that the stove pipe and side shelf for the muskrat stove must weigh at least 5 pounds. That means that the muskrat metalworks one, is about 3 pounds heavier. I assume the corresponding size kni co will be about the same as well.

I mean, just wasnt the weight savings I had been expecting when I got right down and compared the numbers. I wonder what thickness of titanium he uses. Anyone know?
Used to be the man made the gear, now it seems the gear makes the man...

Offline brianw

• Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2014, 10:40:26 am »
I figured that the stove pipe and side shelf for the muskrat stove must weigh at least 5 pounds. That means that the muskrat metalworks one, is about 3 pounds heavier. I assume the corresponding size kni co will be about the same as well.

I mean, just wasnt the weight savings I had been expecting when I got right down and compared the numbers. I wonder what thickness of titanium he uses. Anyone know?

According to the Four Dog Stove website, the Titanium stoves are 26 gauge.   

For comparison sake, here is the stoves that snowtrekker offers.  They are made by kni-co, so you can get an idea of what the final weight of a stove may come in at. 

http://snowtrekkertents.com/portablewoodstoves.html

Cheers

Brian

Offline rbinhood

• Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2014, 10:51:33 pm »
Anyone know what happened to Muskrat Metalworks Website? I see they are on Facebook, but the link to their website doesn't work.
"Our life is frittered away by detail... simplify, simplify."
Henry David  Thoreau

Offline Snowbound

• Coming in From the Cold
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2014, 09:57:01 am »
I heard he is taking some time off to do R&D (and R&R) this summer.  He should be back up and running with new designs and an updated website by fall.