View the most recent posts on the forum.

Author Topic: My new Atuk Tents Kanguk  (Read 42305 times)

Offline wintair

• Supporter
  • Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
My new Atuk Tents Kanguk
« on: May 19, 2014, 04:02:46 PM »
EDIT:  Atuk is now offering 7 oz very  high quality canvas at no extra cost. Not sure which model is right for you? I recommend the Alaskan Gen2 in 7 oz canvas (http://atuktents.com/en_alaskan.php)

After the Bearpaw Wilderness Designs fiasco, I decided to contact Guy Hebert at Atuk Tents (http://atuktents.com/en_index.php). Guy is a down-to-earth person and very knowledgeable. In short, I'm the proud owner of a Kanguk 9'x9', nylon short wall. Guy personnally uses that tent when he's mushing.

His web site doesn't make justice to his talent, he's aware that it needs updating (too busy) and will be updating it shortly. I never could find detailed information on the Kanguk, so I'll post some pictures (will add  more later).

First off, the Kanguk 9x9 and 12x12 are available with either the nylon short wall, top canvas or full canvas. The outside colour of the nylon is green and the inside is white. The Kanguk 12x12 short wall is 30" high, so the wall and sod cloth are two pieces (due to the width of the fabric roll), the 9x9 wall is 18" high, so the short wall and sod cloth is one piece .

The Kanguk footprint is not square, it's a pentagone. I'm going to create a SketchUp image with the dimensions and post it. The stove jack standard location is above the door, Guy says that it's the best location but he will sew it anywhere a client wants it. According to Guy, after ordering a Kanguk, the delay for shipping is a maximum of 3 weeks.

The weight of my Kanguk 9x9 is 12.28 lbs.

Here are the pics, more later:

Dry bag for the tent:

Tent rolled up (very easy to fold and roll up), the pole is not included:

Tent material, Canvas, Nylon (green outside, white inside)

Stove jack above the door:

wintair
« Last Edit: November 30, 2017, 02:25:16 PM by wintair »
If God had meant birds to fly, He would've given them engines.

Offline into the wind

• Supporter
  • Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
Re: My new Atuk Tents Kanguk
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2014, 07:17:23 PM »
Looking forward to seeing more.

Offline AunNordDuNord

• Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2014, 07:33:51 PM »
I want to see more to!! Since last tent I saw( I have two friends that use to have tents from Atuk) were pretty rough looking, but I'm sure after all these years, he made some improvement!!

Anyway, looking forward to seeing more pictures!!

Cheers

Offline michel

• Warming Up
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2014, 07:40:35 PM »

i got one for 4 years now.  9x9 is good for 2 person .It is strongly built and shed the snow very well.

Offline wintair

• Supporter
  • Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2014, 07:59:31 PM »
After posting the first pics, I had a closer look. I'm impressed with the quality, can't wait to pitch it outside. More pics coming.

Took some measurements, the sides are 66" (pentagon, so 5 sides), the short wall is 18" high. From those dimensions I built a model in SketchUp and measured the dimension from side to side. It might vary a little, I'll check the actual measurement when pitching it. The peak is at 90" (7.5 ft). Very comfortable for 2 persons.

I had a long talk with Guy, he's got tons of experience, I would have spent the entire day talking with him.

Here are the SketchUp images:

wintair
« Last Edit: October 19, 2017, 10:46:26 AM by wintair »

Offline wintair

• Supporter
  • Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2014, 04:47:38 PM »
I did the first pitch. The quality of construction is excellent, very well made. I found it a tad tight for 2 people though. If you want a lot of space, the 12x12 would be a better choice.

I want a bit more space so after talking with Guy, he's going to exchange the Kanguk for the Alaskan model (http://atuktents.com/en_alaskan.php). It's going to have the 18"  wall (instead of 24"), this way, the wall and sod cloth  will be in one piece. This will reduce the height from 7.5 ft to 7 ft , the floor is square (10'x10') on the Alaskan and it costs a bit more.

The pics:

Door fully open, for comparaison purposes, the toboggan is a 10 footer:

Door half way closed,  can also be left attached at the bottom corner and it's still very easy to get in with the zipper undone (the pitch could be better):

Inside peak, I used a makeshift pole:

Nylon wall, inside. It's white, but looks lite gray with the bright light shining through:

wintair

« Last Edit: November 30, 2017, 02:13:29 PM by wintair »

Offline AunNordDuNord

• Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2014, 08:10:03 PM »
Thank you for taking the time to set it up, it look great indeed!!
Cheers

Offline rbinhood

• Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2014, 11:10:41 PM »
Looks like a very nice tent. Has figured out a way to still get lightweight, despite 10 oz. canvas, by using nylon walls.
"Our life is frittered away by detail... simplify, simplify."
Henry David  Thoreau

Offline ravinerat

• Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2014, 08:58:22 PM »
Looks great. Did you get a stove too?

RR
Time waits for no one!

Offline wintair

• Supporter
  • Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2014, 07:38:47 AM »
Looks great. Did you get a stove too?

I got one from Kni-Co a couple of months ago. Shipping to Canada can be costly, so I had it delivered to the border. It worked out well.

Not easy to find the right stuff in Canada, the stove is from Oregon, the pipe elbow from California, part of the stove pipe from Utah, accessories from Florida...

wintair

Offline wintair

• Supporter
  • Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2014, 10:19:34 PM »
To give a better idea of the dimensions of the Kanguk 9'x9', I added a sleeping pad to the SketchUp model. My sleeping pads are 26" x 76", those are the dimensions I used. Using a different shape of sleeping pad, two of them could fit I guess. I don't have the exact dimensions of the Kanguk 12' x 12' to work out a  model, but from the pics I've seem, it's much more spacious.

As previously mentioned, Guy at Atuk is making me a modified Alaskan. The vertical wall is going to be 18" nylon instead of 24" (sod cloth and wall in one piece). I'm posting the SketchUp model of the modified Alaskan that I sent to Guy for the stove jack location. For fun, I included the pile of firewood and the famous milk crate. This is the config I'm planning to use, the door is on the left wall.

When I get the finished product, I'll post actual pics of the tent.

Kanguk 9'x9' with 26" x 76" sleeping pad

Kanguk 9'x9' with 20" x 72" sleeping pads (Therm-A-Rest NeoAir XLite regular)

Alaskan pyramid 10' x 10'

Just dreaming...

wintair
« Last Edit: November 05, 2017, 09:43:54 PM by wintair »

Offline southcove

• Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2014, 01:10:30 PM »
I am following this with interest...been looking at more than a few non-traditional vendors.  I like your SketchUp models as well, beats graph paper for sure! 

We would be doing the opposite, bringing it in from Quebec to CT, USA... wondering what if any extra customs and import fees there would be?

Let us see your pics and first impressions when you get the tent. 

Offline wintair

• Supporter
  • Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2014, 05:42:14 PM »
We would be doing the opposite, bringing it in from Quebec to CT, USA... wondering what if any extra customs and import fees there would be?

There is no duty (free trade agreement) on goods manufactured in Canada. UPS charges atrocious brokerage fees and all kinds of other fees on shipments  from the US to Canada , it might be the same thing the other way around. Fedex is as bad. The best way is to ship by mail. If it hasn't changed, USPS charges minimal brokerage fees ($10 I think), taxes apply according to your state.

You also get a 12% break on the CAN $, I wish I had the same advantage.

As soon as I get the tent, I'm going to post more pics.

wintair

Offline southcove

• Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2014, 11:29:11 AM »

Thanks, that is good info for me to know and consider. 

With two kids headed to college I am finding all my purchase decisions to be important ones...no room for foul ups or do overs or the good stuff I really crave...!

Offline hotelfive

• Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2014, 11:29:46 AM »
I would agree..ALWAYS ship via USPS if you are ordering from the US to Canada.  I've been whacked with huge brokerage fees from both UPS and FedEx in the past.