View the most recent posts on the forum.

Author Topic: Any advise for Dolly Sods, West Virginia?  (Read 2886 times)

Offline bark-eater

• Coming in From the Cold
    • View Profile
Any advise for Dolly Sods, West Virginia?
« on: September 04, 2014, 10:58:21 am »
I've relocated to the Eastern Shore of MD, and it looks like the Dolly Sods Wilderness in West  Virginia is my best bet  with in 5 or 6 hours drive, to get out in some real snow.  I'd appreciate any local knowledge that would help plan a long weekend solo  trip in early January, with no chance to scout before hand. I understand that  at least one of the ski mountains  have one way lift tickets  to the top  for back country access.  That would get me in with out dealing with sketchy road conditions and give me a real point of departure and return  for safety reasons.   I found this picture here:  http://silverspringwanderer.blogspot.com/2012/11/winter-in-dolly-sods.html  Looks good to me.  Thanks, Woody

« Last Edit: September 04, 2014, 02:03:42 pm by bark-eater »

Offline GearFreak

• Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
    • Alpha Whisky Adventures
Re: Any advise for Solly Dods, West Virginia?
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2014, 01:39:03 pm »
Not winter but you can get a feel for the terrain from this fellow on You tube.  But I thought it was Dolly Sods not Solly Dods.  I have been watching his videos recently. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ZOZNjFcGzU

I am sure you will get more local advice shortly.
"Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not."

Dr. Seuss - "The Lorax"

Offline bark-eater

• View Profile
Re: Any advise for Dolly Sods, West Virginia?
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2014, 02:05:30 pm »
Dyslexia (AKA  fascination with symmetry)  strikes again.....

Offline jhl99

• View Profile
Re: Any advise for Dolly Sods, West Virginia?
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2015, 08:02:43 pm »
No snow as of 1/3/2015, but this is your resource for checking conditions:

http://www.whitegrass.com/report.html 

The Dolly Sods is a wilderness area (USFS) bounded by a forest road, Timberline Ski Area (Apline), NF lands and private land?  The Sods sits up high, maybe 1000' above the floor of Canaan Valley (Sods elevation is about 4,000').   The Forest road is not plowed in winter and probably not recommended for vehicle access (I'm thinking the FR from Laneville).   There is another alpine resort (Canaan Valley SP).  In between, in a round about way is the White Grass Ski Touring Center.  White Grass has groomed XC trails and caters the backcountry/telemark skiing.  There is another FR that goes up to the Sods from near the entrance to White Grass, I believe there is parking lot on the National Wildlife Refuge property, not sure the parking lot is plowed.

Timberline is the best bet for lift serviced access to the Sods.  I haven been there in years, but the probably still offer a one ride lift ticket.  Might be tricky to load a full sled on the chair though. 

More accessible hiking trails are available on Canaan Mountain or from Canaan Valley State Park or Blackwater Falls State Park.