View the most recent posts on the forum.

Author Topic: Which Ti stove?  (Read 29251 times)

Offline Hutchy

• Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
Which Ti stove?
« on: October 29, 2014, 09:21:05 pm »
Looking at getting a Fourdog Ti for an 8x10 snowtrekker.

What size would those with experience get? The Ul-1, or the Ul-2

The 1 is 10x10x18,

the 2 is 11x11x23.

Both will be baffled.

What say you?

Hutch
Used to be the man made the gear, now it seems the gear makes the man...

Offline Bioguide

• Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
Re: Which Ti stove?
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2014, 10:21:03 pm »
I have an 8 x 12 Snowtrekker (older model) Crew and the Fourdog ULTRA LIGHT-I (DX) and have found it more than adequate. I've had no issues with it and I'm one that keeps a fire going all night.

Cheers, Bioguide

Offline AunNordDuNord

• Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2014, 01:29:28 am »
I would go with the bigger one, I wish I could go with the bigger one ::)
Especially if you are looking for a longer burn time, and the longer fire box means less wood to cut...

Offline Hutchy

• Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2014, 07:42:31 am »
Darn you guys! why couldn't you both have said the same thing!!?

;D

AunNord, I agree, I just am wondering if the extra four pounds, and like, two hundred fifty bucks is worth it. It may prove to be.

Bioguide,

Not to question your "hardcoreness", which is never in question, but what nighttime temps are you experiencing? Seems as though with a tent that large a bigger stove would be better for the reasons stated below..

I know it is a box with a pipe, and should be a simple decision, but I am very weight conscious, and want to glean as much info as I can from everyone before I potentially spend more on a stove than I did on my first vehicle. I would love to get the smaller one, but dont want to regret having the large.

Hutch
« Last Edit: October 30, 2014, 07:50:16 am by Hutchy »

Offline Bioguide

• Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2014, 08:30:40 am »
Good question Hutch. I just looked up the average low temperatures for the Adirondack region for Dec - Feb. The average lows are 5 to 10 degrees F (-15 to -12 C). I've been out with my set up and have recorded -10 F (-23 C) and felt comfortable with my stove which is an older model and doesn't have a baffle.

Cheers, Bioguide
« Last Edit: October 30, 2014, 09:22:40 am by Bioguide: New York State, USA Adirondack Park »

Offline brianw

• Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2014, 09:43:02 am »
Just to add another data point.

I have the Four Dog Titanium Ultra light I-DX with the baffle (10x10x18) and I use it in my canvas wedge tent which is 11.5'x9'x7' (LxWxH) and it does a fine job at keeping the tent plenty warm.  I regularly see low temperatures in the -20C to -30C range.  Mind you, I don't run the stove overnight and I also don't run my stove full out either.  I have a stove pipe thermometer that indicates and ideal temperature range to keep it running at so I don't create any creosote in my stove pipe and not so hot that I am burning more fuel than necessary.  My sleep system is rated to -40, so I've never been cold while sleeping. 

Also consider how much floor space the stove is going to occupy in your tent.  The extra 5 inches of depth may not see like much, but it does make a difference when you consider clearances to the tent body.  Also for reference, see what size stove that Snowtrekker recommends for that size tent and get the closest size stove in the Four Dog Titanium line.

Cheers

Brian

Offline Hutchy

• Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2014, 07:42:15 pm »
Looks like it is down to a coin flip at this stage. I like the price, and weight of the small one, and like the potential longer burns, and larger capacity of the larger one. I wonder how much longer burn I will get out of the larger one...

I hate making decisions like this! Someone call Don and order one for me!!!

Offline Hutchy

• Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2014, 07:44:00 pm »
I do burn all night. So for that reason I am looking at the bigger one, but might eventually want the smaller one for my fauxtrekker tent, and the weight because I am solo more often than not....

ahhhh!!

I wonder if he would make an in between one?

Offline AunNordDuNord

• Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2014, 12:56:22 am »
You send him the money and I,ll place the order... I will then send you pictures the stove in my tent this winter... Hows that??

Funny things aside, What is the temperature that you are most likely to live in wile on trips? up here, in march let say, it goes at night from -5c to -35c...
And in December all the way down to -55c... The reason I have a wall tent now... 8)

Offline Hutchy

• Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2014, 12:18:40 pm »
well, we will never hit minus 50 anything, but minus 38 was my coldest night so far. I was in another full wall 8x10, with a stove 12x12x24. I was very warm. I am leaning towards having more horsepower and may get  the large, if only for getting an extra 1/2 hour of burn time

Offline brianw

• Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2014, 10:29:50 am »

I wonder if he would make an in between one?

The smaller stove is 10"x10"x18"  and the larger one is 11"x11"x22", there isn't really much room for an in between size.

There is also the problem of getting a stove that is too big for your shelter and making it too hot inside your tent.

Let us know which one you decide on.

Cheers

Brian
« Last Edit: November 01, 2014, 10:51:42 pm by brianw »

Offline Bothwell Voyageur

• Vendor - Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
    • CanoePaddler
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2014, 01:26:32 pm »
One thing to consider is how much room the stove takes on your toboggan. I have a 24' stove and whilst it's nice to have the extra heat sometimes it does make for less room for my food box at the back of the toboggan.

This would be less of an issue if I were sharing gear but often I am tripping solo so have to find room for everything on just the one toboggan.

BV
www.canoepaddler.net for custom made gear and fireboxes

Offline Hutchy

• Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2014, 07:13:49 pm »
ok. Screw it. I am going with the big one.

Thanks guys!

Hutch

Offline AunNordDuNord

• Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2014, 08:28:23 pm »
I think it is a smart move, I like the option of more wood, more heat, mind you whereI live it is rarely to hot in the tent...
Keep us posted on how it work for you!!

Cheers

Offline rbinhood

• Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2014, 09:58:03 pm »
I bought the large one with the baffle and never looked back. If I am solo, I just burn less wood. If I want an all night burn, I just damper it down. But, having the larger stove gives me the option of being able to heat a larger tent, or a smaller tent at lower outside temperatures. I love the stove. It is truly a work of art. I think you made a good choice.
"Our life is frittered away by detail... simplify, simplify."
Henry David  Thoreau