View the most recent posts on the forum.

Author Topic: Which Ti stove?  (Read 32082 times)

Offline AunNordDuNord

• Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
Re: Which Ti stove?
« Reply #30 on: December 31, 2014, 12:49:13 am »
It is all good, I guess. But in these days and age, with the access to the communication that we have, it is easy enough to grab the phone, write an email, to tell you clients that the product will be ready later than expected, It is super easy and takes no more than 5 minutes... We are not in the age of letters, and telegrams...lol

Offline buddhabelly

• Supporter
  • Hauling Sled
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 31, 2014, 08:57:58 am »
It's a matter of course that the people we buy our gear from are by necessity small businesses. That doesn't mean they get a free pass re:lack of communication and shipping delays. All it takes is a call or email and that's it, we're good. Keeping quiet doesn't engender any good will imo.

IF the manufacturer has taken on too large a workload then that's on him and he has to make good on delivery schedules. I honestly don't want to hear that they're too busy because they took on too many orders, they should only take work as it can be produced. I mean look at Empire Wool and Canvas, they tell you upfront when things are done and no more product is being made and they won't accept back orders. ymmv

Offline Hutchy

• Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 31, 2014, 10:50:40 am »
 ok lets face it. I am trying to be nice so I won't piss him off so I can at least get the damn stove..

Used to be the man made the gear, now it seems the gear makes the man...

Offline buddhabelly

• Supporter
  • Hauling Sled
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 31, 2014, 07:06:19 pm »
so we should hope for a looooong winter so you can get some use out of the stove when you get it ;)

Offline Hutchy

• Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 01, 2015, 12:50:54 am »
Ha ha. Oh, I didn't tell you guys? I totally intended on using it next year, not this year. How silly of you all to assume I wanted to use it this year!

;D

Offline into the wind

• Supporter
  • Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 01, 2015, 04:17:08 pm »
I don't think the fact the business is small is any excuse to not deliver your product on time. I am guessing Hutchy already paid for it, so the business owner has had the benefit of using Hutchy's money since the stove was ordered.

Very few small businesses that don't honor their commitments will ever grow into a successful large business.

I doubt that Don has any desire to become a large business. And in fact it may be that he is a successful small business that's gotten him behind in getting his orders out. I've bought a couple stoves from him and was lucky as I bought stoves he had in stock at the time. I hope he gets Hutchy his stove soon. I hate to see a basically good guy who makes a great product get thrashed on line. It's part of our computer age I know, but I don't like everything about it. I sure understand the feeling though.

Offline awdriven

• Coming in From the Cold
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 02, 2015, 12:05:21 am »
Hey guys - First time posting. I've found this forum a really useful source of information. I also ordered a UL2 stove from Don - back in September. He let me know at the time that it could be two months or more until the stove was ready to ship. I gave him payment information but he doesn't charge you until the stove ships.

I think these are basically being built in batches, so Hutchy and I will probably get our stoves around the same time. I wish the turnaround could be faster, but have resigned myself to wait and expect to get the high quality product Four Dog has built its reputation on.

I'll post when my stove ships and hope you'll do the same, Hutchy.

Offline rbinhood

• Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 02, 2015, 08:44:39 am »
I characterize "bashing" as someone getting unfairly or wrongfully raked over the coals. When a member here reports that he ordered a product from a vendor that has not been delivered on time, that is objective information that others can use when deciding whether or not to purchase from that vendor. Nobody has suggested that anything said here was untrue. Nobody commenting is hiding behind their computer. They are relating similar experiences when dealing with this vendor.
"Our life is frittered away by detail... simplify, simplify."
Henry David  Thoreau

Offline HOOP

• Administrator
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #38 on: January 02, 2015, 12:26:28 pm »
Hi folks,

I locked this thread, because I think all sides and opinions have been thoroughly expressed.  Hutch said the vendor was called on Dec 30 (between Christmas and New Years, and he was there and answered), and the update was received.  So I think the parties involved are in contact and working on it.

I know that we all order gear at the beginning of the winter season (I certainly do), so you can imagine the pile of orders coming in to the manufacturers at this time of year.  Combine that with family time during the Christmas-New Year's break, etc, and its a really busy time.   In talking with another Ti stove  manufacturer (not the one being discussed here), he mentioned to me that he simply cannot carry alot of inventory, because of the high cost of Ti, and bulk of the finished product.   Woodstoves are made of a fair amount of material and occupy space.  These small scale manufacturers cannot make a pile of Ti stoves ahead of time in the summer and stack them in a warehouse, especially when folks are asking for custom work.  We winter campers are not exactly a huge market!   :)   

So these Ti stove manufacturers are making the stoves based on orders coming in.  I know the particular vendor being discussed and I think he has had a reputation for many years as producing an excellent product, and being an innovator in the Ti stove industry.  I know also that occasionally he gets behind on orders.    In my particular line of work (not manufacturing), I know that delays often happen in development and delivery of products and services, because of chains of processes that have to occur and that are out of our direct control.  So it happens in all businesses. 

I know the feeling of anticipation of the winter season, and the huge decision to lay out the cash for a big gear purchase.  Once the button is pushed, the anticipation of delivery can be agonizing!   :)   Two months is a long time, especially when the season is upon us.
My Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/Wintertrekker

"I firmly believe that far from hurting the planet, the growing knowledge of Bushcraft is helping our natural world. When we employ bushcraft skills, it may seem as though we are consuming natural resources.  But of course, the more we learn about the trees, the plants, the animals around us, the more we respect them. The more we respect them, the more we cherish them, the more we nurture and take care of them. That is the underlying principle of Bushcraft.

Offline Hutchy

• Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 02, 2015, 09:33:31 pm »
Hey all. Just an update. At my request, Hoop has unlocked this thread. It is not to turn into a bash fest or it will be locked again. I simply want to make yall aware of a few of my dealings so far.

I have not received my stove yet. I am not going to say much other than if you are going to order a stove be prepared for a very long wait. You can read the previous posts in this thread. I finally talked to the owner again today, and it is almost finished...

Anyway, just wanted to give an update. I hope there is snow by the time I get it, since there wasnt when I ordered it..

Hutch

Offline Bioguide

• Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 02, 2015, 09:53:01 pm »
I am not going to say much other than if you are going to order a stove be prepared for a very long wait.

Hutch

Yes, a long wait. Actually, I called 2 weeks ago to order a Ti stove from Don for a new tent and Don wasn't taking any orders. I ended up buying a Snowtrekker large Kni-Co stove. Both stove and tent are in route and should arrive any day.

Offline AunNordDuNord

• Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 02, 2015, 10:15:12 pm »
For folks in Canada and the US to I guess with the canadian dollar value right now may as well buy canadian... Atuk tent have stove that actually look good, and a bunch of other stuff to, like big gauntlet mitts etc...

Offline Hutchy

• Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 02, 2015, 10:48:29 pm »
Yea, I will say that with the exchange rate as it is now, I paid waaaaay too much for this stove, but I like to adhere to the "buy once cry once" philosophy. i sure hope the stove is as good as everyone says it is!

I think if I could get one thing across through this whole ordeal, it would be that if I had known that it would take this long to get the stove, I still would have bought it. It just would have been nice to know ahead of time instead of wondering.

Here's to optimism! I am going to be out every weekend with the stove next year to make up for it! Maybe I will plan a month long trip to break it in?? Getting excited for next year already and this one hasnt ended yet haha.

Hutch

Offline buddhabelly

• Supporter
  • Hauling Sled
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 03, 2015, 09:05:29 am »
well the forecast is calling for a cold March and April so you might still be good ! It'd also be light enough to take on a spring canoe trip when the fishing season opens up ;)
« Last Edit: March 03, 2015, 02:02:17 pm by buddhabelly »

Offline Hutchy

• Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 03, 2015, 01:37:19 pm »
True say. I am sure I will use it before next year haha. Just something about twenty below to really test a stove haha