View the most recent posts on the forum.

Author Topic: Which Ti stove?  (Read 30709 times)

Offline memaquay

• Supporter
  • Hauling Sled
    • View Profile
Re: Which Ti stove?
« Reply #90 on: March 21, 2015, 07:20:52 pm »
Ya, what Brian said....

Offline Hutchy

• Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: March 21, 2015, 08:57:54 pm »
Lol. Hold yer horses now.

Only issue is that I cant remember how to get on my Picassa page. Uploading to this forum is always a challenge because the last time I used picassa was about four years ago.

I will say that it is projected to be twenty below tonight, and i am going to be staying in the tent.

I burned the stove twice now, and wow. Waaaaay better than what I was using. It is about minus 5 here now, and that stove just pumps the heat into the tent. I purposely kept the heat down, and the vent was close to closed and the heat just poured from it on very little wood. I guess that is the great heat transfer properties of the ti.

I couldnt imagine getting it roaring, and being in the tent as well at outside temps like this.

Because I had it so low, and it pushed the heat out, I am thinking that I should be able to almost close the vent after it is going, and have a looong burn. Also, I have not even come close to filling the stove yet with wood. Very happy so far.

Will report back in the morning. I feel like a kid haha
Used to be the man made the gear, now it seems the gear makes the man...

Offline Hutchy

• Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: March 22, 2015, 09:13:11 am »
Well, it dropped to -16 last night.

I had a fire going at about 6pm, didnt fill the stove all the way. I went in for dinner at 7, turned the stove down and left.

I cut some maple off of my property with the new saw. Took about ten mins. I also brought out three pieces of cordwood from my house, just in case.

Got back at 930, with sleeping bag, fully expecting to have to make a fire. Well, there was more than enough coals left from the 6pm partial load of wood. Three mins later, the tent was uncomfortably warm, and I turned it down and fell asleep in the new Wiggys bag. (ridiculously warm)

I woke at 1:45 to answer natures call. The stove still had a massive bed of coals, and I probably could have shut it down further (almost a fully closed vent) I filled the stove, and went back to sleep. The air temp in the tent was above freezing all night.

I woke again at 5:37, and same deal as before. A massive load of coals, and a few pieces of wood still had their shape, but were glowing furiously.

I knew it was only a couple hours till I had to get up, so I put two pieces on, and left the vent open just a bit further.

In two hours, with the vent open further this time, it was down to coals. I put on three 1" sticks, opened the vent, and again, in minutes the tent was toasty warm..

I figure that in terms of decent heat output, with dry maple, I got 4 hours between fills, and with decent dry wood (mine had a few random damp punky spots) I should be able to get 5 hours easily, maybe more with a low heat output. Because Ti has an excellent ability to transfer heat, it seems any heat it makes is transferred directly to the tent, and most times of night there was a glowy spot or two on the top of the stove, which makes me think I could have reduced the draft even more.

I think that even with pine, or spruce, with a lower BTU per volume, I could get 4 hours between fills if I can assure that the wood is dry.

I have to say that as promised, with almost any amount of wood in the stove, with the vent open anywhere near half or higher, a red glow spot shows up very fast in the middle of the stove, and looks perfect for two pots.

I could not imagine filling the stove and opening the vent for any longer than a minute. It would completely cook you out of an 8x10.

I was perfectly comfortable, and wore nothing at all on my head.  I never did the bag up tight, and often had it unzipped.

Works exactly as I expected, as did the wiggys bag. I was way to warm in that bag. I feel that there are no temperatures in ontario that that combination of stove, tent, bag, and pads would not be perfectly adequate.

Hutch

Offline rbinhood

• Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: March 22, 2015, 12:08:30 pm »
Your burn time is consistent with my experience, as is your heat output.
"Our life is frittered away by detail... simplify, simplify."
Henry David  Thoreau

Offline southcove

• Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: March 22, 2015, 12:29:16 pm »
I would be very much interested (anecdotally or scientifically) to whether other users have found the Ti stove(s) superior to the sheet metal stoves for burn times, and output...

Offline awdriven

• Coming in From the Cold
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: March 22, 2015, 12:58:07 pm »
Here's a couple very quick snaps - Nothing too interesting because I haven't set it up in my tent yet. I want to set up the full length of flue pipe and see if I need to get together some kind of heat shield.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/tgts3nxyd3jsj2v/AACriujRelVGvlrkZ8RJXzJ0a?dl=0

Offline memaquay

• Supporter
  • Hauling Sled
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: March 22, 2015, 05:46:24 pm »
Hard to believe grown-ups could get so excited about a chunk of precious metal!  Thanks for posting the pics.  Are there any other stove makers out there working with titanium?

Offline Hutchy

• Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: March 22, 2015, 07:43:47 pm »
Seek outside, kifaru, and titanium goat and I think Hill People Gear all make collapsible ones, either box style , or the cylinder stoves, and Brian at Muskrat metalworks made a few, despite a lack of advertising. I dont think his are officially on the market yet. Fourdog is the only company I know who makes a good, tough, dependable, ti Stove that is somewhat airtight.

From what I have heard the other ones leak enough air as to be really unusable for burning during the night. 

Offline Bioguide

• Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: March 22, 2015, 07:58:34 pm »
SFourdog is the only company I know who makes a good, tough, dependable, ti Stove that is somewhat airtight.
From what I have heard the other ones leak enough air as to be really unusable for burning during the night.

Hey Hutch, nice to hear you have your stove.

If you haven't already thought of it you can easly add a stove gasket around the FourDog stove opening. I took a piece of stove gasket and snaked a heavy gauge wire up through the middle of the gasket and then bent it around the lip of the door opening. It's held on with pressure from the wire. It was a nice improvement in the stoves air tightness.

Offline HOOP

• Administrator
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #99 on: March 22, 2015, 08:23:50 pm »
Congrats lads at finally receiving your stoves!  Whuuhoo!  That was some backorder!   ;) 

For burn time experiments, mods to gaskets, etc., maybe think about starting some new threads?   ;)
My Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/Wintertrekker

"I firmly believe that far from hurting the planet, the growing knowledge of Bushcraft is helping our natural world. When we employ bushcraft skills, it may seem as though we are consuming natural resources.  But of course, the more we learn about the trees, the plants, the animals around us, the more we respect them. The more we respect them, the more we cherish them, the more we nurture and take care of them. That is the underlying principle of Bushcraft.

Offline Hutchy

• Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: March 22, 2015, 08:52:37 pm »
I had already thought of the fire gasket! As per hoops request, maybe I will start another thread on it