View the most recent posts on the forum.

Author Topic: Winnipeg Area 2015 Group Trip  (Read 14970 times)

Offline acurrier

• Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
Winnipeg Area 2015 Group Trip
« on: November 06, 2014, 09:45:56 pm »
Hello Folks,

By some freak chance I managed to get almost two weeks off at the start of January. I am waiting to hear back from a friend before setting dates, but I figured I would let people know that I am planning on taking a 3 day trip during the first two weeks of January. I will update the original post once I've figured out the dates, hopefully in the next week or so.

In the meantime, for anyone interested in attending, I am open to suggestions on where to go this year.

Hopefully we can get a big group together this year!

EDIT: It looks like we will be tentatively aiming for January 2-4
« Last Edit: November 30, 2014, 11:32:34 pm by acurrier »

Offline GearFreak

• Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
    • Alpha Whisky Adventures
Re: Winnipeg Area 2015 Group Trip
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2014, 11:51:48 pm »
Great idea, but I am out between the holidays already.  May not be able to make those dates work.

I'd like to get out and meet the other locals someday.
"Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not."

Dr. Seuss - "The Lorax"

Offline Bothwell Voyageur

• Vendor - Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
    • CanoePaddler
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2014, 06:14:20 pm »
yes, always interested!

I think we are planning on heading to Riding Mtn between Christmas and New Year unless the lakes freeze early again.

I could be persuaded to head up north if there was a way of car pooling, otherwise I would suggest we look at heading across Brereton Lake to Mud Turtle and War Eagle. The parking is good as well as not being too far from Winnipeg.

I would love to do a linear trip this winter if I can find a suitable route.

BV
www.canoepaddler.net for custom made gear and fireboxes

Offline acurrier

• Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2014, 06:25:46 pm »
Both are good options. I enjoyed Riding Mountain last year, and of course the Whiteshell is always gorgeous. A 'traveling trip' could work, although I would have to check with the boss and see if I could do more than three days to really make the trip worth it...not sure how long she wants to be home alone with our gremlin.

Offline Grizzly Adam

• Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2014, 12:16:17 pm »
call it im in lol work owes me some much needed de compression time any where is good

Offline acurrier

• Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2014, 11:35:22 pm »
Dates added, looks like we'll be aiming for Jan 2-4. Do we want to do the Whiteshell again this year? Last year BV and I went to Riding Mountain, which was nice, but we weren't able to get onto a lake or cut firewood...seems a little less regulated in the Whiteshell.

Offline Grizzly Adam

• Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2014, 02:25:03 pm »
I may need to hitch a lift for this trip as my wife has a winter camp with the scouts from her section that weekend and my work truck needs some tlc but ill keep you all posted cheers Rolly

• Vendor - Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
    • CanoePaddler
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2014, 07:26:01 pm »
Happy to go wherever suits. I have been meaning to contact GearFreak to see where he is headed between Christmas and New Year, hoping we can tag along.

We went into Whirlpool Lake a week ago. It was a nice site with the added benefit of a large group cooking hut with two big woodstoves.

I also spoke to the folk at the park and we would likely be able to get into Lake Audy as an option. I agree that it is more regulated but it really is a beautiful area.

Not sure yet whether the missus is coming along. If not I can probably give you a ride to wherever we end up.

BV

Offline acurrier

• Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2014, 07:57:01 pm »
If worse comes to worse I can pick you up Grizz...if there is someone closer that would be preferable, but we'll figure something out.

Offline arcticmag

• Supporter
  • Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2014, 08:39:19 pm »
If you're considering Riding Mtn I would suggest Bead Lakes chain of lakes. Easy access with parking on #10 highway and a snowshoe trail in. There's no problem with cutting dead wood for firewood. Just can't use live spruce branches for flooring.

Daryl
Make friends with the wolf, but keep your axe ready.

Offline Grizzly Adam

• Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2014, 09:24:26 am »
found the problem with my truck broken swaybar end link will be fixing today i hope fingers crossed lol, Ill talk to Jon and see if he's interested should be a good trip where ever we end up lol.

Offline Grizzly Adam

• Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2014, 09:36:30 am »
Yaaa trucks fixed 2 ours of grease monkey immitations and a few cusses later lol. won't know if Jon is coming till the weekend I asked Ricky but he may opt out being so close to new years day might have a hangover lol . for a hard core army guy he can be such a suck lol.

Offline acurrier

• Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2014, 11:16:53 pm »
Glad to hear the truck is fixed. I wouldn't mind going back to Riding Mountains, but aren't the Bead Lakes the ones right close to the highway? I don't want to be listening to trucks from my tent.

• Vendor - Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
    • CanoePaddler
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2014, 01:36:13 pm »
No trucks on #10!

Let's wait and see what the next few days of weather brings. We'll find somewhere great whatever happens.

BV

Offline arcticmag

• Supporter
  • Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2014, 07:40:14 pm »
Bead Lakes are 1300 metres from the highway as the crow flies. I've never heard traffic when I've been there. We sometimes go south from 4th Bead Lake following the creek out. Lots of standing dead wood in the swampy area there.
Make friends with the wolf, but keep your axe ready.