View the most recent posts on the forum.

Author Topic: Winnipeg Area 2015 Group Trip  (Read 14969 times)

Offline Grizzly Adam

• Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
Re: Winnipeg Area 2015 Group Trip
« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2014, 11:29:47 am »
where are we guys with a location? and are we going to have any snow we may need to go further north lol

Offline GearFreak

• Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
    • Alpha Whisky Adventures
« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2014, 03:18:55 pm »
Patience Griz - the snow shall come!

"Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not."

Dr. Seuss - "The Lorax"

Offline Bothwell Voyageur

• Vendor - Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
    • CanoePaddler
« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2014, 04:41:22 pm »
Nothing in the forecast for the next week, though it is getting colder.

5 deg in Riding Mtn!

Maybe I'll put some wheels on my toboggan!
www.canoepaddler.net for custom made gear and fireboxes

Offline Grizzly Adam

• Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 16, 2014, 09:14:19 am »
Took the dogs for a walk in mars on sunday there's 6-8 inches of snow in the bush made for a long walk without snowshoes lol , I wish you all a merry christmas if we don't chat sooner cheers Grizz

Offline acurrier

• Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 16, 2014, 11:08:23 am »
I don't like leaving things this long either, but I think we're going to have to wait and see what the weather conditions are in a week or two. Definitely either Whiteshell or Riding Mountain.

I've got to say I'm very disappointed with the amount of snow we've had so far this year. We would have to get some massive storms to even come close to the quantity we got last year.

Offline GearFreak

• Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 16, 2014, 11:57:07 am »
East is acceptable I hear,  I am waiting for another report to come in but eastern whiteshell has lots of ice with more snow than the valley.  Out Minaki way I hear is even better.
"Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not."

Dr. Seuss - "The Lorax"

• Vendor - Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
    • CanoePaddler
« Reply #21 on: December 16, 2014, 04:08:20 pm »
I hope there is more than we have here! Working north of Ste Anne today with contractors digging a big hole. We couldn't get many of them to quote as they were too worried about the weather- too much snow etc. but the guys who did are cruising along, no snow, not too much frost.

I heard reports that many of the lakes were in really poor condition after the weekend, lots of slush. Hopefully that will all re-freeze if we we don't get more snow too soon.

It doesn't take too many bare patches on a portage to make it a real downer unless you pack really lightly. Man handling a fully loaded toboggan over rocks is an easy way to get injured. Trail reports from folk who haven't traveled this way are often misleading but I would be interested to hear what you find out.

Routes that stay on the lakes and swamps may be the best bet. There are a couple of possible options that wouldn't involve too much travel time. Alternatively a drive in site in Riding Mtn would allow us to base camp and explore from there.

BV

Offline Grizzly Adam

• Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 17, 2014, 12:44:35 pm »
could the werner lake area or nopeiming be a option further north and east just a thought, riding mtn while nice still requires a permit that I dont have and not sure if it's worth it for one trip lol funds are very limited these days sucks. also white mouth river system by the discovery center down by the scout cabin is a nice area also if one wants a more relaxing drive in base camp area.

Offline GearFreak

• Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 17, 2014, 02:05:21 pm »
Hey Griz & Crew,

Davidson-Petch-Reynar would be solid lake travel, Petch to Reynar portage is a pretty steep hill if I remember but its short, but I guess you could slip along the road.  ;)

Do you go as far as Bain Lake? bit of rough portage but once in their is some nice lake chains.

Dr. Seuss - "The Lorax"

• Vendor - Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
    • CanoePaddler
« Reply #24 on: December 17, 2014, 02:24:54 pm »
Davidson would be good access Though the gravel road would certainly not have enough snow. The portage into Bain from Reynar was completely choked last time we were there but this year would be better, especially if we used the ones at the very far end of Reynar which are much easier. Unfortunately that's probably too much of a drive for ACURRIER- he'll be coming from up north. I had also thought about the Rabbit River up to Cole Lake which would be a very straightforward run.

We could head into Cabin Lake from White Lake. There is a stream/swamp joining the two, or if the ice is good on Betula try to get into Fisher Lake via the Whiteshell River. Never been there but the photos look nice!

Offline acurrier

• Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 17, 2014, 02:50:41 pm »
BV, how much further would that be than the western edge of the Whiteshell? It is a 3-4 hour drive for me already, so another 30 minutes or so wouldn't be the end of the world.

• Vendor - Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
    • CanoePaddler
« Reply #26 on: December 17, 2014, 06:19:16 pm »
According to Google Earth-

from Beausejour on Hwy 44 (which would probably be your best route, coming across on the 67 to Selkirk) Nopiming would be 1h 45mins, Brereton Lake would be 1h 16mins so your estimate of 30mins is right on the money. Perhaps others can comment on how accurate those times are. From where the road crosses the Bird River it is gravel and can vary widely in condition.

Offline GearFreak

• Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 23, 2014, 05:57:02 pm »
Ok, My trip is now delayed to end of January - poor conditions and that nasty thing called work for some.

I hear Riding Mountain has 8 to 10"

Send me the details or BV has my email and add me to the list.
I have the fixins for pineapple cake.... 8)

Dr. Seuss - "The Lorax"

Offline Grizzly Adam

• Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 24, 2014, 09:56:55 am »
CAKE did you say CAKE lol sweet welcome aboard bro. So far Rick and I are coming, if we go to Riding mtn will we need a pass and how much been like 10 years since last I purchaced one for federal park lol

• Vendor - Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
    • CanoePaddler
« Reply #29 on: December 24, 2014, 10:20:51 am »
still waiting for a status update from Nopiming!

We are headed to Riding Mtn on Boxing Day for a couple of nights. We have been told the road into Lake Audy is snow covered but driveable. We shall see! Hoping to get some shots of the Bison in winter.

If we get no more snow I think we should try one of the larger lakes in Nopiming, maybe Black Lake or Euclid Lake or I wonder what the ice would be like to head down Big Whiteshell into Little Whiteshell? I think the river is pretty slow flowing along that section.

Have a great Christmas- wish for snow!

BV