View the most recent posts on the forum.

Author Topic: Wooden "multifiber" ski prep?  (Read 1518 times)

Offline exophysical

• Warming Up
    • View Profile
Wooden "multifiber" ski prep?
« on: November 11, 2014, 10:21:17 am »
  Our local dump has a "Take it or leave it" shed where items of use can be left for others to take. I found a pair of Karhu "sport" model skis in this shed and decided to take them but I have some questions on how to properly prep them. They appear to be a wooden ski, I can see the wood grain on the sides but on the ski "Multi fiber base" is written and there is a very thin layer of some reddish material on the bottom. Can anyone give me some advice on this?

Offline AunNordDuNord

• Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
Re: Wooden "multifiber" ski prep?
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2014, 12:54:30 pm »
Good find. The skies are wood core with synthetic base, but just to be sur, a picture would help... If they  are what I think, you just prep them like any other skis. So usually you do a "hot wax" or glide wax on the base, leaving  the center part, kick zone free of wax. Then you scrape it off, and on the kick zone, you apply grip wax, fro the condition of the day. This is really not in depth how to, but, you might already know how it all work, so I'll spare you of all the details...

Cheers

Offline exophysical

• Warming Up
    • View Profile
Re: Wooden "multifiber" ski prep?
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2014, 04:35:02 pm »
Good find. The skies are wood core with synthetic base, but just to be sur, a picture would help... If they  are what I think, you just prep them like any other skis. So usually you do a "hot wax" or glide wax on the base, leaving  the center part, kick zone free of wax. Then you scrape it off, and on the kick zone, you apply grip wax, fro the condition of the day. This is really not in depth how to, but, you might already know how it all work, so I'll spare you of all the details...

Cheers

Thanks, that's what I was wondering. Whether they needed to be sealed or not.