View the most recent posts on the forum.

Author Topic: Thoughs on Arctic Oven tents  (Read 6845 times)

Offline Hutchy

• Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
Thoughs on Arctic Oven tents
« on: November 18, 2014, 07:14:13 am »
Aside from being pricey and brutally heavy, anyone like or hate them and why?

Hutch
Used to be the man made the gear, now it seems the gear makes the man...

Offline ravinerat

• Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
Re: Thoughs on Arctic Oven tents
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2014, 08:37:37 am »
I had been following a snowmobile trek across Alsaka from south to north. They used 5 Arctic Ovens. And raved about them. The pictures sure looked comfy and they had no issues with the Ovens. When I asked if they would go with this tent again they said absolutely.

RR
Time waits for no one!

Offline Hutchy

• Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2014, 09:31:14 am »
Yea, I figure they would be nice. Any double wall would be. But I cant justify the weight. I know supposedly you can use a smaller stove, but the problem with that is that a smaller stove probably doesnt hold a burn as long.

A four man tent is 56 pounds.

Holy wow

Offline GearFreak

• Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
    • Alpha Whisky Adventures
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2014, 10:16:32 am »
I did look at them as well as wall tents and a couple from Cabelas before I bought the snowtrekker.  All were in the same price range and in the end I felt the snowtrekker had more versatility.

"Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not."

Dr. Seuss - "The Lorax"

Offline Hutchy

• Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2014, 11:19:08 am »
Versatility is a good thing. I could see long term living with no travel would favor the AO. They are a synthetic fabric arent they?

I am thinking of sewing up a 4 ounce inner liner for my snowtrekker. I just am not sure how to maintain, say, a 2 inch double wall and attach it taughtly to the inside of the tent.

Offline ravinerat

• Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2014, 12:05:20 pm »
http://expeditionportal.com/personal-locator-beacons-and-satellite-messengers/

This is the link to their site of the trip. He'll answer all your questions about the AO. We had lots of great conversations.

RR
Time waits for no one!

Offline ravinerat

• Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2014, 12:07:21 pm »
I don't know why that link pasted in as it was from days ago. The web site is called The Grand Adventure.

RR
Time waits for no one!

Offline chimpac

• Hauling Sled
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2014, 01:05:58 pm »
Yea, I figure they would be nice. Any double wall would be. But I cant justify the weight. I know supposedly you can use a smaller stove, but the problem with that is that a smaller stove probably doesnt hold a burn as long.

A four man tent is 56 pounds.

Holy wow

http://www.wintertrekking.com/community/index.php?topic=1923.msg16168

Here is a four man shelter and it does not weigh any where near 56 lbs. It can be pitched as fast as you can drive 4 stakes, put 4 poles in place and a chimney in the center. As long as the corner pegs hold no wind is going to take it away.

Offline ravinerat

• Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2014, 03:41:56 pm »
chimpac, with the stove mounted on the pole does the heat get down to ground level or from the stove up?

RR
Time waits for no one!

Offline chimpac

• Hauling Sled
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2014, 04:21:55 pm »
Any stove, any campfire emits radiant heat like the sun. The radiation is greatest from the hottest parts of the stove.
So in order to get maximum radiant heat from a stove it has to be shining like a sun on you. Each surface of a stove radiates in the direction that surface is facing.
The surfaces of a stove that are facing toward the ground or straight up is lost radiant heat. There is little radiant heat getting to a body in the tent if a stove is laying low and horizontal in a corner of the tent. This is why a stove sitting up off the ground and vertical delivers more radiation sideways instead of a horizontal stove that radiates mostly up and down.
I was just this morning trying to use reflectors to direct radiant heat from the top and bottom of a little vertical stove I was cooking my breakfast on.
Radiant heat is the most important type of heat when there is no insulation to keep heated air warm. This is why big warehouses are often heated with hot pipes with reflectors near the ceiling that shine down to the occupants on the floor.

If your boots were below the stove shown in my pictures they would get hot from radiation not heated air which makes its way fast to the cold skin of the tent roof.
There is a puddle of water under the stove in one of the pictures. That ice was not melted by heated air. The air at the ice would be the coldest air in the tent
« Last Edit: November 19, 2014, 09:28:16 am by chimpac »

Offline rbinhood

• Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2014, 08:44:16 pm »
I in no way want to criticize Chimpac or the genius of his designs, but I would like to clarify that heat is transferred four ways, only one of which is radiation. There is also conduction--touch a hot stove with your hand and you will understand conduction. Also convection, where air moving over a hot surface carries heat away from it---think of a forced air furnace in your home. Finally, there is evaporation. Spray water on a hot sidewalk in the summer and as the water evaporates, it will cool the sidewalk, drawing heat energy from it to cause the liquid water to turn to vapor.

In a tent, radiation, convection, and conduction all work together. As Chimpac says, radiation plays a huge role, but so does convection as cool air is continually moving over the stove and carrying away heat to warm cool areas of the tent. Convection is also what is slowed by a baffle in your stove, preventing superheated air from roaring up the chimney into the cold outside air, where it does the occupants of the tent no good. Conduction is what heats your pot when you put it on top of the hot stove. In a tent, evaporation plays very little in the total picture.

Heat transfer is a complicated subject. Different stoves have their place in different applications. An airtight box stove or cylinder stove can do an all night burn, allowing you to emerge from a warm bag in the morning into a tolerably warm tent.
"Our life is frittered away by detail... simplify, simplify."
Henry David  Thoreau

Offline AunNordDuNord

• Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2014, 08:49:44 pm »
I use to have one for a few years, it was the 10x10 extreme, so just around 9x9 inside. For two people it is a great tent, it is the warmest tent I ever slept in, it is super easy to set up and crazy stable/strong in hight wind condition, we had ours in 60km/h wind gusting at over 75km/h and no problems. We never experienced frost inside the tent, even by really cold weather after the stove died it was always bone dry inside.

The tent is heavy, but for a double walled tent with a floor, it ain't so bad, the worst is the bulkiness of it. We got rid of it a year after our daughter was born, we did a few trips, but with a baby, it is really not a practical tent. the stove is in the middle side to side, and two third back from the door, so there is not much left for floor space after you leave a bit of space on all sides of the stove for safety. But all in all a great tent and now that they make it with a vestibule, it makes it a bit heavier, but much better space wise so you don't have to use precious floor space for gear, it can all be in the vestibule.

But the Snow trekker is a way better choice for us now!!

Offline AunNordDuNord

• Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2014, 08:54:03 pm »
I still think that the best design for a tent would be 8 sides, 24 inches wall 8 or 9 feet high 10 to 12 feet a cross. made out of the same canvas Snowtrekker uses, or even better, Vantile. One day I will make my own... Or have it made.

Offline rbinhood

• Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2014, 09:14:45 pm »
Look at the Conover's pyramid tent design in A Snowwalker's Companion. Six sides, not eight, but otherwise very close to what you have described. Also very similar to the old Arctic tents used by the U.S. Military, except there the problem was they made them so damn heavy.
"Our life is frittered away by detail... simplify, simplify."
Henry David  Thoreau

Offline AunNordDuNord

• Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2014, 09:28:46 pm »
rbinhood, I have the book, and I've look at it over and over again... Really close to what I think would be the best tent design, but no body makes them... Also this tent from Tent Smith, but that don't make it any more and loo like they can't get proper fabric  anymore either...http://tentsmiths.com/egyptian-cotton-tents/egyptian-cotton-top-tent.html