View the most recent posts on the forum.

Author Topic: First-ever real Forest Skis on eBay! 230cm!  (Read 3323 times)

Offline JeffOYB

• Coming in From the Cold
    • View Profile
First-ever real Forest Skis on eBay! 230cm!
« on: November 18, 2014, 10:58:09 am »
http://www.ebay.com/itm/JARVINEN-LAPPONIA-XC-skis-230-cm-/371115388521?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5668336e69

...I bought the 240's they had.

Gotta give em a try.

Have never seen these skis for sale in the USA.

Of course overseas they go up to 280cm but these should work for an honest test.

Do they glide in deep snow? We'll find out!

Offline oldsoldier

• View Profile
Re: First-ever real Forest Skis on eBay! 230cm!
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2014, 01:54:06 pm »
If only I skied! These are 20 minutes from me!

Offline Moondog55

• Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2014, 09:24:53 pm »
Thanx for the link
I now know what you are all talking about
I've skied on similar in the past. In the Karhu version, they aren't for steep hills and fast turns but a decent CC ski
Are also well know also as Finnish Army skis due to the ability to easily follow a track behind a tow vehicle

Offline SupGen

• Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2014, 08:06:07 pm »
If only I skied! These are 20 minutes from me!

OldSoldier; click on this and you can be skiing for a lot less than you think! http://store.colemans.com/cart/us-gi-cross-countrydownhill-skis-p-2119.html These are real nice xc skis, especially for the price.

Offline JeffOYB

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2014, 12:37:53 pm »
I'm very curious to see how they work!

They are totally different from a military ski. They are much longer. They are very light and have soft tapering tips. They aren't all that wide.

Yes, they would only be for open terrain and no tight turns. Maybe skiing on a snowy river would be nice.

I wonder if the binding should mount in a different location due to softness of tip.

I had a pr of 210's in this model and NNN-1 bindings on them that I tried using with NNN-2 boots and the hingeing wasn't nice and free. I just didn't like them. Now I'm "going big or going home." Of course, the 280's would be REALLY going for it.

What in the world is up with this kind of ski anyway? Do they really glide and float? Usually only a huge snowshoe will truly float in deep snow and no ski so far actually glides much. So we'll see.

I've read they're designed for SPRING skiing so maybe it's not ordinary deep snow but some kind of weight displacement trick they do on old rotten deep snow?

Offline JeffOYB

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2014, 12:40:19 pm »
(If one wants a long wide touring ski and cost is what has kept one away from doing skiing, then thrift shops have them for $5. The $20 mil-ski plus shipping might not be the best bargain. But we know that price isn't everything, eh? But, anyway, that's a whole different topic thread.)

Offline scott1702

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2014, 08:10:56 pm »
Good to see you bought them!  I picked up some of the beautiful vintage Kazamas for myself.  They had so many pairs of great skis in perfect mint condition, it was unbelievable.

Offline JeffOYB

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2015, 09:59:03 pm »
I got 4 pairs for the price of 3! He threw in an extra pair! ...Some of his listings mentioned this so I asked.

I got some supercool funky ZeroCelsius type skis that I'd heard about but never seen: At 32F in fresh snow -- or in fresh humid snow around that zone -- which is common in lower MI -- it's really hard to wax and nowax isn't so hot either. Clumping, clumping! He had some 'hairies' for sale. They had a weird grip section that you can repeatedly sand with either fine or coarse sandpaper depending on the snow. It'll be fun to check em out. I hear some really like them for a wide range.

I've also been enjoying using Start Grip Tape the past few years. If you don't hit roots that stuff stays on for weeks. Works from 0-30F like a charm. As good as wax!

Offline jooleyen

• Warming Up
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2015, 01:45:05 pm »
So Jeff, I am interested in these. How did they work?