View the most recent posts on the forum.

Author Topic: Zippo's...  (Read 3721 times)

Offline AunNordDuNord

• Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
Zippo's...
« on: February 12, 2015, 01:01:24 am »
I like my Zippo a lot, but I don'T like the fact that it seems to be dry every time I need it. Usually after a few days, like 2, in the bush, it is dry... So I tried a trick I read some where, I don't know i it is here or else where but I filled up the lighter with fuel, cut a piece about 1 3/4" long of MTB inner tube, slide it on the lighter, and left it alone for a few days using it now and again when needed, and after 4 days, it is still lighting and going strong. So look like the trick works!! To use it I just roll the intrude down and flick the lid open!! Bonus, it is not as cold for the finger in use, and not as slippery when wet!!

Cheers

Offline HOOP

• Administrator
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
Re: Zippo's...
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2015, 07:54:25 am »
I like my Zippo a lot, but I don'T like the fact that it seems to be dry every time I need it. Usually after a few days, like 2, in the bush, it is dry... So I tried a trick I read some where, I don't know i it is here or else where but I filled up the lighter with fuel, cut a piece about 1 3/4" long of MTB inner tube, slide it on the lighter, and left it alone for a few days using it now and again when needed, and after 4 days, it is still lighting and going strong. So look like the trick works!! To use it I just roll the intrude down and flick the lid open!! Bonus, it is not as cold for the finger in use, and not as slippery when wet!!
Cheers

I tried that several times with experiments in summer, and in my basement with the lighter just sitting on a table.  I find the fuel still evaporates.  In the summer, and inside the house, there is ambient heat to cause fuel evaporation.  With the lighter in my pocket, there is added body heat to evaporate the fuel, and I find with a pocket carry, the fuel is gone in 1 or 2 days, even with the inner tube cover.  I long ago gave up on Zippo lighters as completely unreliable for extended trips in the bush in summer. 

I have not tried it in winter.  However I always want at least two lighters on me at all times, so if body heat is going to evaporate the fuel, I will have no confidence in it.   It would be interesting to carry a zippo on the outside of a day pack (continuous cold) for several days with the inner tube cover, and see if it still lights.  I wonder what rolling back the inner tube cover at -30C would be like? 

I carry butane lighters on me on my second layer which is against my base layer, so its always warm enough to light.  I sleep on my back or side, and so can keep a butane lighter in my chest pocket of my fleece top, so I have a lighter that works for the morning fire light up. 

In my wool trousers pocket, I always have a ferro rod attached to a belt loop with a lanyard, and I always have a tinder kit on me when travelling, and my waxed jute tinder tube, so I always have a guaranteed fire ignition "lighter" that I can hold in full flame for well over a minute or two, and do not have to rely on a lighter.

I have always wondered why Zippo does not make a model with an O-ring seal to prevent fuel evaporation?  The wick literally wicks away the fuel continually to evaporate out through the non-air tight lid.  Its a shame, since I think the Zippo's wind proof design is still one of the best out there, and you can hold a lit Zippo to tinder or kindling and not have to hold down a gas button, or get your fingers anywhere close to the flame. 

I bought up a few of the famous IMCO Super Triplex lighters before they went out of business.   :(   These also do not have an O-ring, but I found with their tubular shape I was able to find a plastic tube to keep them in, sealed with tape, as an emergency wind proof lighter that I can work with frozen hands, unlike a Zippo which requires finger dexterity to work the spring loaded wheel.  The IMCO can be lit with a downward swat of the hand (lever action, not a wheel), so I think the IMCO is a superior winter trekking lighter....if you can keep it sealed and never use it until you need it.   
  :-\
My Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/Wintertrekker

"I firmly believe that far from hurting the planet, the growing knowledge of Bushcraft is helping our natural world. When we employ bushcraft skills, it may seem as though we are consuming natural resources.  But of course, the more we learn about the trees, the plants, the animals around us, the more we respect them. The more we respect them, the more we cherish them, the more we nurture and take care of them. That is the underlying principle of Bushcraft.

Offline ravinerat

• Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2015, 08:02:06 am »
I too gave up on a zippo. I carry a small butane torch. It is the size of a lighter but it is a torch for soldering. This will light anything.

Hey Hoop does the jute twine dry out?ni can't get mine to light this year.

RR
Time waits for no one!

Offline southcove

• Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2015, 09:44:53 am »
I still carry a Zippo with sentimental ties.  But you are right of course, it quickly dries out, the fluid is insanely expensive and should the lighter get moisture on the flint, not much happens afterwards...    Funny how I have a 30 year old + Zippo and have gone through 4-5 of the more expensive survival stormproof units.

Zippo does sell this interesting little unit that I have never seen in any supply store yet.  Its not a lighter but fire starter kit.

http://www.rei.com/product/838508/zippo-emergency-fire-starter-kit/?cm_mmc=cse_PLA-_-pla-_-8385080001&mr:trackingCode=D38A055B-CC8F-E111-8DC4-001B21631C34&mr:referralID=NA&mr:device=c&mr:adType=plaonline&mr:ad=53280440200&mr:keyword=&mr:match=&mr:filter=117704923720&msid=xMEURGY7_dc|pcrid|53280440200|#tab-description

Offline AunNordDuNord

• Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2015, 11:26:18 am »
I don'T rely only on one lighter either, like I don't rely on one paddle in the summer.... That said, I don't bring 25 different thing to light a fire. I have a lighter, some strike anywhere matches( I know you will say that they are not like they use to be...) and that, for years have worked perfectly well. I also cary a Light My fire ferro rod, but never been really lucky with that stuff.

As for the zippo, it wasn't only sitting outside in the cold, it was on me or in the house(heated house). So now it is more like e5 days, and it is still light thing and going strong. And I swear before that it wouldn't last 3 days...

Anyway, I thought it would be interesting to share...

Cheers

Offline Teepee

• Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2015, 11:46:36 am »
Another Imco Fan here. I stocked up when they went out of business.

I can often get a whole week of solid use from an Imco Streamline before needing a top up. I'm a smoker too.  It hangs round my neck at all times in a leather push in case. The leather slows down the evaporation even more.

My Triplex isn't as good for holding onto it's fuel-that's about 4 days but the flame is much better in strong winds.

I usually have a little pill capsule full of fluid on the lighter lanyard too-it's a reliable 2 week system with spare flints and a wired spare wick stored in the wadding. A little waterproof trench lighter with rubber bands wound round does the 'Fall through the ice emergency fire' thing.   

Pete. :)

Offline Hutchy

• Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2015, 05:56:55 pm »
I too found that a zippo loses its fluid. Now I bring three bic lighters, and a firesteel and cotton balls. Never had a problem with bics in the cold, because i keep one in a pocket. Even when cold, a minute under your armpit warms them up 

I you have three bics malfunction in one trip, you are just an unlucky SOB.

Used to be the man made the gear, now it seems the gear makes the man...

Offline HOOP

• Administrator
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2015, 07:09:56 pm »
Hey Hoop does the jute twine dry out? I can't get mine to light this year.
RR

Hi RR, No thread hijack intended, but I will try and answer this question here while we have it    :)

My waxed jute rig has always been fine without any decline it its ignition capability.  The wax I am using is "ParoWax" that I get at Canadian Tire or the grocery store, e.g.  http://reviews.canadiantire.ca/9045/0422510P/no-wax-for-canning-reviews/reviews.htm

I don't think it can "dry out"?   I am not aware of any water in it, nor volatiles.  It is listed as being OK to use for home canning, so there should not be any volatiles that can leak out into food in sealed canning jars.   I am guessing maybe you are not fraying it sufficiently?  It needs to be very finely fuzzed to take a spark.  Try fuzzing it so that it looks almost like felt.  This will expose more jute fibers free of the wax.  The wax is probably an inhibitor to ignition.  I think the wax serves mainly as extra fuel, and for waterproofing.  I have tried waxed cotton rope, but its far inferior to the jute, so I am pretty sure ignition has to do with the jute itself.

OK, now back to lighters...... :)
My Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/Wintertrekker

"I firmly believe that far from hurting the planet, the growing knowledge of Bushcraft is helping our natural world. When we employ bushcraft skills, it may seem as though we are consuming natural resources.  But of course, the more we learn about the trees, the plants, the animals around us, the more we respect them. The more we respect them, the more we cherish them, the more we nurture and take care of them. That is the underlying principle of Bushcraft.

Offline southcove

• Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2015, 02:39:32 pm »
Having mentioned 'lighters and needed lighter fluid' to my trip companion (on again, off again due to weather) this weekend, he mentioned US Wal Mart pricing on a Zippo matte finish windproof lighter.  $9.97   Wonder if that low price is a reflection on the decline in smokers and the ubiquitious disposable?

As interesting, was that he told me the packaging had no verbiage to indicate that it wasn't ready to use, or what would be needed to make it useful...oversight?!