View the most recent posts on the forum.

Author Topic: Looking for a new\used stove for our tent\home  (Read 10156 times)

Offline kie

• Vendor - Supporter
  • Coming in From the Cold
    • View Profile
    • www.lureofthenorth.com
Looking for a new\used stove for our tent\home
« on: November 28, 2014, 06:32:35 pm »
Hey there everyone,

It's Kielyn from Lure of the North.

Dave and I are currently looking for a tight seal stove with a nice cooking surface to replace our current stove in our home. We want the Five Dog ideally but he doesn't have any available right now.

Does anyone have one or something similar they would like to sell?

Thanks for your time,

-kie
There isn't a place I'd rather be.

Offline rbinhood

• Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for a new\used stove for our tent\home
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2014, 09:27:19 pm »
I talked to this guy earlier this week.  https://wausau.craigslist.org/spo/4767649566.html

He will take $200.00 for the stove. Even if it costs you $200.00 more to ship it, you still have it for a good price. Stainless, so it will not rust, and airtight. He had it in an ice shack and said it produced too much heat. He is located in Marshfield, WI, some distance from you, so getting it there might be problem. He said he thinks it weighs 130-150 lbs.
"Our life is frittered away by detail... simplify, simplify."
Henry David  Thoreau

Offline Harlan

• Administrator
  • Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
    • SoloTripping.com - The Solo Tripper's Online Community
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2014, 09:42:39 am »
Kie, would you be interested in a proper wood stove or are you just looking for a smaller unit?

Offline Hutchy

• Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2014, 05:39:14 pm »
Kie,

Can I ask what the issue is with the one you have?
Used to be the man made the gear, now it seems the gear makes the man...

Offline buddhabelly

• Supporter
  • Hauling Sled
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2014, 07:44:35 pm »
Also curious why you'd prefer a Five Dog for heating a home. I would go with a heavier, efficient stove myself but don't know your circumstances.

Offline Hutchy

• Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2014, 09:09:53 pm »
First off guys, they live in a tent. That should answer a question or two...
Used to be the man made the gear, now it seems the gear makes the man...

Offline Soledad

• Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2014, 10:50:31 pm »
Brian Maruska had a big stove at the Symposium, and I am not sure if he sold it or not.  Might want to look up Muskrat Metal works on facebook and see if he still has it or if it would would for you.  He may even build you a custom stove.  He has been sending many stoves up north.
-Matt

Offline AunNordDuNord

• Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2014, 11:15:06 pm »
Up here a few people live in tents or Yurts, and all the one I know have same stove used in houses, if you are not moving that tent around, buy the stove that will give you the longest burn. I have a Blazeking King in our house( we use only wood as our heating source) and our house is not much better than a wall tent.... So far, Blazeking is the best stove on the market for that purpose.

Offline buddhabelly

• Supporter
  • Hauling Sled
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2014, 11:23:29 pm »
Had no idea they live in a tent and that info would have been useful. Also, I believe the Conovers had a traditional wood stove in their canvas home, pretty sure a photo was in their Snow Walker book.

If they live in a sizeable permanent tent, I'd still use a modern stove in it for burn time and heat retention.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2014, 07:25:53 am by buddhabelly »

Offline chimpac

• Hauling Sled
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2014, 11:38:46 pm »
If was going to live in a tent like shelter all winter it would be made with sheets of rigid insulation that maybe would not cost to much more. The saving in cost of wood and labor would go to more than pay for the extra cost of the insulation sheets. I would have the roof no higher than needed for a person to stand up in part of the living space.

I want to edit in another option for living all year in a tent. That would be an insulated square tarp with the chimney in the center. There would be a problem of letting in some light.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2014, 09:16:56 am by chimpac »

Offline DMarrone

• Vendor - Supporter
  • Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
    • Lure of the North
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2014, 09:22:19 am »
Thanks for all the responses - sorry about the slow reply as we've been on the road.
We're in a wall tent that is 14' x 16' with 5' sidewalls and 8' peak. 

We're currently using a "2-hole camp stove" from Great West Metal:
http://www.greatwestmetal.ca/products/sheet-iron-camp-stoves

Its a great stove during the day, and a nice cooker with the removable top sections, but at night it takes on a whole new, malevolent character.  It leaks far too  much, and even with a pipe damper it burns through all of our wood and wakes us up sweating and swearing after a couple of hours. At night we put weights on the top plates to slow the leaks there, and I could probably look at fire cloth for the door, but ultimately I think it would be an uphill battle with this stove as it is very light construction. 

So we're looking for something a little more airtight.  We haven't ruled out a conventional stove designed for homes, but I'm not yet convinced they're a better choice.  They might have better combustion efficiency, but I think the un-insulated stoves have better heat-transfer efficiency, so the amount of wood required might be similar in either case.  And most of the stoves I've looked at designed for homes don't have the nice cooking surface that a stove like the 5-dog has... thus the preference towards a simpler trail stove. 

We do have another wall tent (smaller @ 10' x 14') that we made ourselves in Sudbury.  It currently has a 5-dog in it, and we are able to get an all-night burn with it using birch or similar.  (Currently trying to resist the urge to rob the stove from that tent as we still use it from time to time).

Thanks for the good suggestions thus far, I think we will contact Brian Maruska and take a look at the stainless one on Craigslist as well.   
Lure of the North
http://lureofthenorth.com

Offline chimpac

• Hauling Sled
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2014, 09:49:01 am »
Up here a few people live in tents or Yurts, and all the one I know have same stove used in houses, if you are not moving that tent around, buy the stove that will give you the longest burn. I have a Blazeking King in our house( we use only wood as our heating source) and our house is not much better than a wall tent.... So far, Blazeking is the best stove on the market for that purpose.
If your Blazeking chimney entered the bottom of a barrel on top of the stove, letting the smoke out under the inside top the barrel then out the bottom of the barrel to the outside you would have a rocket stove. This would capture a lot of heat and give you a much cooler chimney.

Offline rbinhood

• Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2014, 01:04:00 pm »
Dave:

What a beautiful tent set-up you have in the picture. You are fortunate to have a wife who is willing to live in such accommodations, as mine would surely never consider living in a tent to be an appropriate abode.
"Our life is frittered away by detail... simplify, simplify."
Henry David  Thoreau

Offline awbrown: N. Illinois, USA

• Supporter
  • Hauling Sled
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2014, 01:14:04 pm »
Dave:

What a beautiful tent set-up you have in the picture. You are fortunate to have a wife who is willing to live in such accommodations, as mine would surely never consider living in a tent to be an appropriate abode.

I'm sure that Dave realizes what a gem he has in Kie.

My wife's idea of living in a tent is to have a sun umbrella on the back porch. But she lets me go off on my little adventure's with no whining (actually I believe she is relieved to get me out from under her feet).
I love winter......I don't look fat in wool!

Offline AunNordDuNord

• Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2014, 01:37:20 pm »
This would be my choice if I was in your moccasins(shoes)... http://jotul.com/ca/products/stoves/jotul-f-118-cb-black-bear
These stove a one of the best stove on the market today, they are small but efficient. You can cook on... you can cook on any stove really...

An other choice would be this... http://www.vermontironstove.com

But if you have a bit o time and I know your guys are quite handy, I would built a "rocket stove" I think it would be cheep, efficient and made to cook on!!

Cheers