View the most recent posts on the forum.

Author Topic: Walking across Georgian Bay?  (Read 3803 times)

Offline Hutchy

• Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
Walking across Georgian Bay?
« on: December 04, 2014, 02:06:25 pm »
Anyone walk across any of the great lakes?

With the harder winters, and the Bay freezing over last year, if it gets a lot of ice on it I think it would be cool to walk across and see what Tobermory looks like in winter. The Bruce is a crazy rugged place, so in winter it might be all the more beautiful. It is 55 miles to Lions head from my place, and on my sailboat this summer it took about 9 hours to get there at 5 knots. I would have to camp on the ice, because 55 miles is a long way for one day, and anchor the snowtrekker well. Also, I will need a gas stove for dinner since there are not many trees out there.

I think it would be a cool trip. Anyone done anything like that before?

Hutch
Used to be the man made the gear, now it seems the gear makes the man...

Offline GearFreak

• Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
    • Alpha Whisky Adventures
Re: Walking across Georgian Bay?
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2014, 04:19:50 pm »
Don't know about that area for winter, but I sure would love to visit Tobermory someday. It's on my list.

"Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not."

Dr. Seuss - "The Lorax"

Offline ravinerat

• Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2014, 04:32:35 pm »
Going to take colder winters for that to happen. Last year Georgian  Bay froze but not thick enough. Two snowmobilers tried to leave Tobermory but went through no too far out. Last year we travelled out to the ice caves on Georgian Bay for the first time in many years.
On a second note I camped with a guy who skied across James Bay solo. It was a fascinating story.

RR
Time waits for no one!

Offline into the wind

• Supporter
  • Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2014, 08:01:56 pm »
Here's a link that may be of interest.

http://www.c5photo.com/assets/Sauna.pdf

Offline Hutchy

• Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2014, 11:08:48 pm »
I am hoping it freezes well this year. I know of local guys here who in years past have snowmobiled to Tobermory from Pointe au Baril. Used to be a pretty common thing actually. Last year guys were going from Midland to Killarney by sled into march.

The problem with snowmobiling across is that I would want to keep my speed over 60 mph so I had some safety, but then I also would want to check the ice, which requires stopping, which is a no-no on unsafe ice with a sled. Kind of a catch 22. Stop and check, (or break down) and run the risk of going through, or keep speed under you and run the risk of getting into real trouble if the ice got really thin. That combined with the risk of being really far out makes me wonder. My father does run a hovercraft factory. Maybe a scouting trip would be in order before, to check conditions...hmm...

But when walking I would wager it would be safer, because you could monitor it as you go. Just thought it would be an interesting walk. If I find some time in Feb, and conditions are right I kind of think I wanna try it. I would think a week would be needed.

day 1. Walk to the Limestone islands, camp there. 12 miles

day 2. Walk halfway, camp, no heat. 28 miles

day 3. Walk to lions head. Camp, trees available. 28 miles

day 4. Walk to Tobermory, camp on Cove Island. 16-18 miles

day 5. walk to lions head, camp there.  16-18 miles

day 6. Back halfway, cold camp.    28 miles

day 7. to Limestones, or Mccoys if possible 30 miles

day 8. home by lunch time. 12 miles

160 miles, +/-

Doable, but no cell reception after about five miles out. And the nice thing is, that half the trip could be done if I simply convince someone to pick me up in Tobermory. Should someone drop me off, and the ice not be thick enough, they have to drive all the way back to Tobermory and pick me up...If I leave from home and go across, I can always just come back.

Am I missing anything?

Offline ravinerat

• Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2014, 07:01:50 am »
That is a long walk. Very doable with good ice. Not much different than when we head into the back lakes in early season with new ice. Check as you go and each member has a throw bag and ice picks. General consensus at what thickness you turn back. Hope to go from Snug a Harbour to Franklin Island this season.

RR
Time waits for no one!

Offline Hutchy

• Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2014, 07:50:45 am »
I did pointe au baril to parry sound last winter.

Seriously, let me know when you are going, and I can come from my place and meet you and hang out for a bit. Franklin is not far from my place.

when were you thinking of going RR?

Offline ravinerat

• Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2014, 05:49:24 pm »
I don't have any plans yet but maybe you could let me know when the bays start freezing up. I figure they will start to freeze by eary Jan. always room for one more.

RR
Time waits for no one!

Offline Hutchy

• Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2014, 09:16:21 pm »
Well, I am working the boat show from jan 5 to 18, then in Cambodia till mid feb, so my winter is gonna be all messed up. We pulled our last boats on tuesday, but it will take a while to get good.

Mid feb you are assured really good conditions. We have to see what happens . You ever know.

Offline acurrier

• Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2014, 09:58:36 pm »
I'd suggest bringing a PLB or sat phone with you for the trip...my big concern would be whether you can consistently make those 28k days on foot. That is basically a marathon a day for over a week, pulling a sled in sub zero conditions in who knows what kind of weather. In short, sounds like a lot of fun.

Make sure you have a safety net in place, and make sure you take photos.

Offline ravinerat

• Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2014, 11:48:58 pm »
I'll give you some advance notice when we decide to go.

RR
Time waits for no one!