View the most recent posts on the forum.

Author Topic: Work clothes for trekking.  (Read 1604 times)

Offline exophysical

• Warming Up
    • View Profile
Work clothes for trekking.
« on: December 10, 2014, 09:45:50 pm »
 Having spent most of my life working in the oil and gas or lumber industry I've acquired a lifetime supply of coveralls. I order mine big so I can pack layers under them rather than get my coat dirty and using various layers I've worked in weather from 35 C to -35, for the most part in relative comfort. Last winter I started using coveralls for trekking and found them to work well. Below the waste I wear anywhere from 1-3 layers of poly, its important to get this right because making a change is a pain. On my torso I usually wear a couple layers of poly and/or wool and keep a great big sweater in my pack that I can wear overtop of the coveralls if I need to, unzipping the coveralls to my waste helps vent if I'm getting warm. This setup helps minimise the "cold belly" I often get when my undershirt comes untucked from pants while trekking. So if your like me and you have a whole shed full of coveralls they make a great outer layer for snowshoeing or skiing

Online Bothwell Voyageur

• Vendor - Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
    • CanoePaddler
Re: Work clothes for trekking.
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2014, 03:14:01 pm »
What do you do when you need to poop?
I've found this a major problem with one piece layers etc. There are some "hilarious" tails of climbers at high altitude dropping there one piece down suits to poop, then zipping back up only to discover that in their haste not to freeze they accidentally dropped their load into the suit instead of the snow...

BV
www.canoepaddler.net for custom made gear and fireboxes

Offline chimpac

• Hauling Sled
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2014, 05:12:09 pm »
Yes it is a problem when it is so cold that the time limit for no covering is short.
 You do not see Eskimos wearing a one piece outer garment.
I have seen one piece suits with a back trap door.

Offline exophysical

• Warming Up
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2014, 08:32:11 pm »
What do you do when you need to poop?
I've found this a major problem with one piece layers etc. There are some "hilarious" tails of climbers at high altitude dropping there one piece down suits to poop, then zipping back up only to discover that in their haste not to freeze they accidentally dropped their load into the suit instead of the snow...

BV

Like I said, I've spent a good portion of my life wearing coveralls, usually nowhere near any "facilities". I've seen some funny things happen and heard of even funnier things happening, but I've got a pretty good system in place. ;D