View the most recent posts on the forum.

Author Topic: narrow double-cambered off-trail xcountry ski  (Read 1314 times)

Offline lilcliffy

• Coming in From the Cold
    • View Profile
narrow double-cambered off-trail xcountry ski
« on: January 24, 2015, 02:34:37 pm »
For my newest addition to my "quiver"  I am looking for a traditional, narrow, double-cambered xcountry ski (waxable).  The use is speed/glide-orientated, off-trail xcountry skiing, on gentle terrain- on dense and/or hard snow (I  have wider skis for soft powder).

I keep getting drawn to the Madshus Glittertind (68mm shovel), Fischer E99 (66mm shovel), and perhaps the Rossi BC68 (68mm shovel).

However- I keep reminding myself- that for the intended use- I don't need the flotation of the above skis.

So- I also considering the Madshus Voss (60mm shovel), Fischer E89 (59mm shovel), and the Rossi BC59 (59mm shovel).

Anyone have any advice, thoughts or comments?

Offline Goski

• Coming in From the Cold
    • View Profile
Re: narrow double-cambered off-trail xcountry ski
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2015, 08:12:31 pm »
Hi Lilcliffy,
Of the three narrower skis that you mentioned I tried Madshus Voss.  It was a while ago (11 years?) so i can't give you very technical or exhaustive review, but I remember liking them very much.
I used them a litlle in track, but more on packed backcountry trail and on fresh snow.  It was in the Rockies in 2nd half of February and the snow was well settled.  I remember being pleasantly surprised by floatation for this width and still pretty good tracking and kick and glide - definitely a cross country feel.   These were rented ski and I ended buying wider ski for better bush and hill performance.  For your intended use this is a ski I can recommend.  Mind you I never tried Fisher or Rossi.