View the most recent posts on the forum.

Author Topic: Mica Base Skis  (Read 1561 times)

Offline jerryswiss

• Stoking the Woodstove
  • If it's not cold, you're not having fun!
    • View Profile
Mica Base Skis
« on: January 25, 2015, 11:17:45 pm »

Skilom skis, made in Norway. Pinso nylon three pin bindings, don't know where made. I bought this set up in 1980. Mica base skis were some what popular back then. They have a lot of grip, good for climbing. Most people considered them slow. I used to put glider wax on most of the base except right under the binding.

I do not think I ever pulled a sled with these skis. I think I will try that next time I go out. I bet it works well. The bindings are great. When I first bought these skis the salesman talked me into these bindings. I thought they would break. They never have. I have broke a lot of metal bindings with wire bales, but these nylon bindings have held up great.

Does anyone else have any experience with these type skis or bindings?
« Last Edit: January 25, 2015, 11:27:13 pm by jerryswiss »
The driest snow is high desert snow.

Offline jerryswiss

• Stoking the Woodstove
  • If it's not cold, you're not having fun!
    • View Profile
Re: Mica Base Skis
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2015, 08:14:16 am »
Seems like at one time there was a lotion type liquid you could coat the bases with to prevent snow from sticking.
The driest snow is high desert snow.

Offline NordicNorm

• Coming in From the Cold
    • View Profile
Re: Mica Base Skis
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2015, 11:30:30 am »
Never used that particular binding, but have also had excellent results with the Voile flat bar bail type (never actually broke the wire bail, but have lost a few in some deep snow high velocity crashes - along with a fair number of pole baskets)  ;D. IIRC epoke mica bases were very good for near freezing transitional conditions, esp combined with some maxglide.