View the most recent posts on the forum.

Author Topic: Making a Baker/Campfire/Mason tent.  (Read 6585 times)

Offline Rob

• Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
Making a Baker/Campfire/Mason tent.
« on: February 02, 2009, 06:03:35 pm »
So I found the local TimBr Mart has canvas drop clothes for $42. 12x15 feet :o

Judging by the plans in the Conover's book this will be enough to make one tent.

The only other thing I need to begin is the nylon strapping and the brass grommets.

Like the Anorak I built, I am going to keep the plans simple and the tent will be functional but not fancy.

Between this is and the Anorak I will have more than saved the $160 I paid for the sewing machine.

Colder is better

Offline Oldand Fat

• Supporter
  • Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
Re: Making a Baker/Campfire/Mason tent.
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2009, 06:24:32 pm »
Rob:
 As the only luck I have had with Brass Grommets is bad :-[ I use the method show in Cookes Custom Sewing. It is working great and was a lot easier to make then putting in the grommets.
Check this: http://www.cookecustomsewing.com/tundratarpinformation.htm
I'm sure you know there is webbing and there is other stuff.
See here; http://www.questoutfitters.com/narrow%20roll%20goods-cart.htm#WEBBING-%20NYLON
Stay safe
OAF
“ We have this one life to appreciate the grand design of the universe and for that, I am extremely grateful.” Stephen Hawking. 1942 - 2018

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.
Mark Twain

Offline Rob

• Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2009, 07:55:04 pm »
I was thinking of using the lamp wick I bought to make loops to tie off the corners
Colder is better

Offline Oldand Fat

• Supporter
  • Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2009, 08:10:56 pm »
I think your first idea of nylon would be better. Lampwick is thicker,  holds water, likely not as strong. It will not pack as flat as nylon. The webbing is X and very easy to thread a rope in. If Cookes don't still have a picture on their site I'll photograph one of the ones I copied from Cooke and post it to you. 
Stay safe
OAF
“ We have this one life to appreciate the grand design of the universe and for that, I am extremely grateful.” Stephen Hawking. 1942 - 2018

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.
Mark Twain

Offline Rick

• Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2009, 07:43:09 am »
Pay attention to the reinforcing patch he uses with the grommets. Try a patch made from 1 1/2" or 2" nylon or polypropylene with a burned hole just big enough for the stem of the grommet.
Use a good quality upholstery thread for all sewing. Make sure it contains no cotton.
If it would be any help I can get poly webbing down south here at Lens Mills and mail it to you. It usually runs about $1 / m or less. I can get the grommets for about $2 or $3 for a package of 10 or 15. Let me know what you need and I'll price it out and we can go from there. The postage may be the deal breaker here, being that you live on the edge of nowhere.  ;D
Lampwick will not work, as has been noted.

Offline White Wolf

• Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2009, 09:25:38 am »
Rob

At this rate you ever get layed off you can become a seamstress !!!!!! :D  :D

I picked up the same size drop cloth at the local Home Hardware and it was the same price. Also grabbed two smaller ones for the ends of the tent that I am going to build.

Nylon webbing is the best for tie off loops. Canadian Tire has it in the rope section and the price is fairly cheap. Other option would be to use left over strips of the drop cloth (doubled over and sewen). But as mentioned they too may hold water for a long time then the webbing.

On a side note why did you choose to go with the Baker tent style?

Jeff
Kenora Ontario

Offline Haggis

• Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2009, 10:20:59 am »
I too have an interest in Bakers tents for fall and winter use; spring and fall, during the dreaded season of the flying and crawling blood suckers, not so much.

Here is a bit more on such tents.

http://www.cdamuzzleloaders.org/baker_tent.htm
“It is tedious to live; it is tedious to die; it is tedious to c**p in deep snow”
Old Norwegian Observation

Offline woodstove

• Warming Up
    • View Profile
sourse of fasteners
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2009, 10:19:00 am »
Hello all.
I look at the handbags and gym bags at garage sales, Good Will, and Sally Anne's. Many good fasteners,nylon straps and the like. I've gotten some very nice fasteners, leather, and straps for pocket change and sometimes for free.

Recycling and reusing old items is a very traditional practice with nothing of use going to waste and fits the practices of many members of this forum and those that went before us.

By just making or modifying just one tent,you open yourself to an addiction. Be warned!!

my 2 cents

Woodstove
« Last Edit: October 18, 2009, 10:52:12 am by woodstove »
Time to brew up eh!

Offline lonegreeneagle

• Hauling Sled
  • Me at my personal BEST
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2009, 01:31:25 am »
Having made one myself, I was glad I over ordered 10oz. marine preshrunk for a sheep herders wagon I was restoreing! The green canvas for my sides was discounted overstock from a wholesaler. I used a cobler friends commercial machine for the thicker jointing areas. A hand awl works, SLOWLY! From an awning maker I bought black fire retardant "ICE HOUSE" fabric for my stove area in the front. I used velcro to hold the awning to the sides and bought a canvas roof jack for my stove pipe.
Email me for picturs and questions. Ours is 6 years old and does more winter camping than canoe season trips!http://picasaweb.google.com/lonegreeneagle/CAMPFIREStyleHomeMadeTentSystem

I love it old school!
« Last Edit: November 24, 2009, 03:45:36 pm by lonegreeneagle »
Avid outdoorsman? My son and I snowshoe and winter camp with a four season tent and no stove. When my daughter comes along we drag sleds holding the campfire style tent I made and my military style Yukon stove. We canoe and kayak long trips in the early spring till Thanksgiving. That's my son's and my last float of the canoe season as we celebrate his birthday.  My daughter more than my son loves climbing. My sore neck!
Along with the tent, I've made packs,paddles and the poor man's RV from an 18' boat trailer. It now carries our canoes, kayaks, mountain bikes, camping ger and the TeePee pole