View the most recent posts on the forum.

Author Topic: Fitting Leather Ski Boots  (Read 4837 times)

Offline jooleyen

• Warming Up
    • View Profile
Fitting Leather Ski Boots
« on: February 12, 2015, 12:43:41 pm »
I am assuming that burly leather xc boots should not fit like plastic alpine skiing boots. This is all I seem to be able to find info on regarding ski boot fitting.
I have finally gotten myself a pair of high quality ski boots to go with some nordic backcountry skis, but I am not sure which size to pick. I usually wear a size 9 in shoes and prefer a snug fit for athletic activities, so I got a size 9.5 and 10 (US) in my ski boots knowing that I would want room for extra socks. These boots are the Alico Mod Double telemark boots (http://www.sierratradingpost.com/alico-telemark-ski-boots-mod-double-3-pin-for-men~p~72194/).

When wearing my preferred sock system, the 9.5 is pretty snug and I don't think I would want to put on another sock because it would be pretty difficult to wiggle my toes. The heel lift is really minimal. I don't expect zero heel lift since these boots are extremely stiff right now.
With the size 10, my toes have more wiggle room, but so does my entire foot. The heel lift is more noticeable even if I wear thicker socks.

So I am not sure which size to choose. How do you like your boots to fit? Will the leather stretch meaning a snug(ger) size 9.5 would end up fitting looser once the boots are broken in? Or do I need a size 10 to fit more socks in for more warmth, but will end up with less control while skiing?

Offline AunNordDuNord

• Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
Re: Fitting Leather Ski Boots
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2015, 02:53:57 pm »
Jooleyen, I have the exact same boot minus the strap. I wear a size 13 us and that is what I have, I wear a decent sock, mid heavy. The boot is made to be snug, it is a fairly narrow fit to the one boot. If you plan on using the boot to ski, and not to be standing for long periods of time, I think I would rather have a boot that fit more snug than not, since wile you ski, yo want good control of the ski, and that can only be achieved with a boot that is a snug fit. A loose boot, will promote blisters, and a poor controls of your ski on more technical terrain!

Hope this help, that said, that is just my opinion.
Cheers

Offline jooleyen

• Warming Up
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2015, 02:58:29 pm »
Thanks for the reply man. That definitely helps me decide to go with the smaller 9.5. Aside from the fit, how have they been for you? Held up well? Did you have to sand the bill down on yours? Mine is like 3mm too thick so I think I am going to take a belt sander to the bottom side until it fits in the voile bindings.

Offline AunNordDuNord

• Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2015, 03:41:04 pm »
I didn't have any problem with mine.... That said I think they were a factory second, since there is one sole that is a bit offset from the boot... But I had them for 18 years. I use them maybe 6 to 8 times a year...

As fr sanding the bill, be sure you have the right 3 pin binding, some of the light duty one are shallower than others, so you need a real Tele binding.

Cheers

Offline jooleyen

• Warming Up
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2015, 04:02:30 pm »
Wow 18 years. I hope I can say that about my boots in the future. I have a feeling these are 2nds because I have read a few complaints about the thick bills. I have the voile 3 pin cable hd binding, and that is about as burly as they come I think. Onto the sander.

Offline AunNordDuNord

• Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2015, 04:58:10 pm »
Ho yea, good binding for sure.  Good luck.
Cheers

Offline HOOP

• Administrator
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2015, 07:39:24 pm »
Looks like a great boot!  Has me thinking I want a pair now.

RE blisters.  I have had full leather Vibram sole 75mm BC boots like this before, and in order to fit the sock system I wanted, I sized a half size up.  This resulted in some heel slip, which was not a control issue because I trudge ski on the flats anyways.  But it did cause major heel blister problems until I found a magic fix that totally solved the blister problem.

The fix was wearing two pairs of very thin and slippery polypropylene socks, one against my skin, and the second over top.  This results in the outer PP sock sliding over the inner PP sock, thus eliminating any friction against the skin.  Being a half size up, I could fit a medium and heavy wool sock over those thin liner socks.   

So whatever you choose, keep this double PP inner sock system in mind, in case you encounter a heel blister problem.  These type of boots can be quite stiff in the break in period, but I found the two pairs of PP socks eliminated any problems, and the bonus was they wick moisture away too.

My Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/Wintertrekker

"I firmly believe that far from hurting the planet, the growing knowledge of Bushcraft is helping our natural world. When we employ bushcraft skills, it may seem as though we are consuming natural resources.  But of course, the more we learn about the trees, the plants, the animals around us, the more we respect them. The more we respect them, the more we cherish them, the more we nurture and take care of them. That is the underlying principle of Bushcraft.

Offline jooleyen

• Warming Up
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2015, 07:51:51 pm »
Nice. Good tip Hoop. I sanded the bill down on the 9.5s and after trying them on the skis, realized that I could actually get away with a size 9. Totally different fit when actually using them on skis. I also realized how much of a chore it is going to be to break them in. I'm only like 145lbs and can hardly flex these things. But man I think they will be nice when softened a bit.

Would putting in a VBL between the polypro socks still keep the blisters away you think? I am planning to use or at least experiment with a VBL for all non-hot tenting adventures.

Offline AunNordDuNord

• Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2015, 08:56:21 pm »
VBL could work, but be careful that your feet don't get really wet, cause then you'll have worst problems... What I did in my cold camping days, is I would shove the liners in my sleeping bag at night and in the morning they would be dry!

One other thing to help with stiff boots, is to have the hill plate a bit higher than your toes, maybe 3/8" that makes a huge difference on the skiing and on the life of the boots, less stress on the bill.
Cheers

Offline jooleyen

• Warming Up
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2015, 09:04:40 pm »
People say that the feet sweat less in the humid environment because they are already moist and the body knows to stop sweating, so I would hope that would prevent really wet feet. I don't know though, I haven't used VBLs on a full day trip.

Do you have a link to such a heel plate? I can't find anything.

Offline AunNordDuNord

• Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2015, 09:41:49 pm »
I had use in the past a wooden shim that I would put in between the actual hill plate and the ski, you might need a bit longer screws.
I never done it on the skis I use right now, but I want to do it before the spring tripping....
Cheers

Offline Moondog55

• Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2015, 11:07:47 pm »
Plastic wedge under the heel under the footbed should make them fit a little better
nice boot Very nice boot

Offline jooleyen

• Warming Up
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2015, 01:38:32 pm »
Hoop, what about nylon socks? I couldn't find polypro at my local store so I got two nylon socks, but the rubbing was even worse. They are pretty slippery socks. I am seriously considering selling my 9.5s and buying a size 9. I just don't like the amount of wiggle room and heel life I have in these boots when going up hills and such. Wish I would've taken AunNord's advice on the snug fit - but they didn't have size 9 at the time I bought them.

Offline HOOP

• Administrator
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2015, 01:47:15 pm »
Hoop, what about nylon socks? I couldn't find polypro at my local store so I got two nylon socks, but the rubbing was even worse. They are pretty slippery socks. I am seriously considering selling my 9.5s and buying a size 9. I just don't like the amount of wiggle room and heel life I have in these boots when going up hills and such. Wish I would've taken AunNord's advice on the snug fit - but they didn't have size 9 at the time I bought them.

Hi Jooleyan,
I tried everything, but the only fix was the two thin, shiny and slippery polypro socks as I described above.  This is them, the Wigwam Gobi Liner socks.  Get about a dozen pair!  I get mine at MEC:
http://www.mec.ca/product/4002-218/wigwam-gobi-liner-socks-unisex/?f=10+50089+50443

If I recall, I also found these at Marks Work Wearhouse. 

My Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/Wintertrekker

"I firmly believe that far from hurting the planet, the growing knowledge of Bushcraft is helping our natural world. When we employ bushcraft skills, it may seem as though we are consuming natural resources.  But of course, the more we learn about the trees, the plants, the animals around us, the more we respect them. The more we respect them, the more we cherish them, the more we nurture and take care of them. That is the underlying principle of Bushcraft.

Offline jooleyen

• Warming Up
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2015, 03:26:20 pm »
Alright, I'll give them a shot. Thanks.