View the most recent posts on the forum.

Author Topic: German Army Surplus Wool Pants Question  (Read 3741 times)

Offline alanw

• Coming in From the Cold
    • View Profile
German Army Surplus Wool Pants Question
« on: February 13, 2009, 10:30:40 am »
Yesterday my pair of German Army surplus wool pants arrived.  I've wanted a pair for a long time and finally got around to ordering a pair and the pants live up to the hype.  Inside each cargo pocket are a pair of long straps made of light fabric.  Anybody happen to know what these are originally meant to be used for?  There are also all sorts of bottons in the waist band which seem a mystery, not necessarily meant for braces as far as I can tell.

Offline pake

• Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
Re: German Army Surplus Wool Pants Question
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2009, 11:18:44 am »
alanw,

Hi,

I have a pair of those pants too. They are great. But they don't fit me anymore. Must be something wrong with the material.  :D  They are a heavy duty pair of pants, that's for sure, windproof and everything.

Mine had the straps in the pockets too, but I removed them. Remember who they were made for. Soldiers frequently carried lots of stuff, and some of it was heavy; ammo clips and so forth. You could use the straps like the side cinch straps on a backpack, to keep 'the load' from being too loose against your body. There were also slits through the material so that you could thread the straps to the outside and tie them around your legs if you needed to.

The many buttons around the waist band on the inside allowed one size of pants to fit many different waist sizes. You probably also have a fabric tape with a button hole sticking out of a sleeve there somewhere. If you pull the tape and cinch it up to one of the several buttons near it, you can reduce the waist size considerably. There are probably two such waist straps sewn into the hem of the 'belt tunnel'.

pake

Offline yukon

• Coming in From the Cold
    • View Profile
Re: German Army Surplus Wool Pants Question
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2009, 11:31:10 am »
Great pants. I had a pair.

My understanding was that the straps in the cargo pockets were designed to make to easy to do a tourniquet in the field, in the event that the soldier had a serious leg wound, or to assist with immobilizing the limb in the event of a break.

The second explanation makes a little more sense. However I cannot present  either explanation as fact.