View the most recent posts on the forum.

Author Topic: On the trail of the coyote......  (Read 6243 times)

Offline Harlan

• Administrator
  • Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
    • SoloTripping.com - The Solo Tripper's Online Community
On the trail of the coyote......
« on: February 08, 2009, 11:35:19 pm »
It's been too long since i've strapped my snowshoes on and headed out for the day, so today i finally convinced my girlfriend that winter travel is okay and decided to head north from town and hit the trail for a few hours.  I've been interested in bagging a coyote or fox and using it for an Anorak i have yet to make so the plan was to find an ideal area and use a call to hopefully lure on in. 

We headed back to an area last visted in late December and found nobody's been there since....pefect!  Not so perfect once we hit the trail though.  Damn there's a lot of snow.  Knee deep with snowshoes!  It was tough slogging but we didn't have to go far.  After a relatively short 1 km hike we tucked into the bush and headed for a bluff overlooking a large valley that had recently been logged.  Once there i setup to try for a wiley coyote.

This was my first time using a predator call for coyote / fox and although i have no clue what i'm doing i gave it my best shot.....called till i was blue in the face, but nothing.  Could be me, or it could be they're hanging around the treeline, wary of coming into the open?

Trying to call a coyote in:

So after a wee bit of time of unsucssful calling i gave it a rest and began packing down the area and prepping a camp.  I'll be coming back to the area for an overnight trip later this month so i scouted the area and began the task of cutting and hauling lots of wood.  This spot is great with lots of elevated blowdown and dead standing spruce to keep me nice and warm. 

Looking out towards the valley from the bluff:

We managed a decent supply then made a fire and relaxed for a bit overlooking the valley.  It's great when you get to see the reaction of someone that's out for their first time.  I believe i've fully converted her to a "believer" and will now have a companion for future winter trips.  It's also amazing to see a sceptic of wool clothing fall into line and admit it is truly the best option going for playing in the cold and snow. 

Soaking it all in.  Does it get any better?

We never did see a coyote although we did see coyote tracks on the way in.  Still it felt great to finally get back out and feel the weight of the sled on me again. 

Heading back....nothing like a packed trail to lead you home!

Phew!  That was a good hike.  Did i mention the trip back is all uphill!

When i got back to town i spoke with a local trapper who is somewhat sceptic of calling in coyotes.  He figures with the large wolf population in the area, coyotes would be wary of coming out from the treeline to investigate the call.  I hadn't ever thought of  that but it makes pretty good sense.  All the successful calling i've seen or read about is in areas with no Wolves and the coyotes are the top predator.....oh well, it just adds to the experience.

Offline Haggis

• Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
Re: On the trail of the coyote......
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2009, 11:44:08 am »
Succeeding immediately at any enterprise isn't the whole of it; there is the character to be formed in the clinging to the game until it is won, and there ever be the memory of the hands dealt. Most years I snare up a few coyotes along my snowshoe line, this year, and perhaps due to the wanting of two or three for ruffs, I've caught not a coyote, and I've seen very little in the way of sign. Red foxes on the other hand have been very generous in the offering up of their pelts to my stretcher boards. I've a week or two yet before I take up my snares, perhaps there is yet a chance for coyote?
“It is tedious to live; it is tedious to die; it is tedious to c**p in deep snow”
Old Norwegian Observation

Offline memaquay

• Supporter
  • Hauling Sled
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2009, 10:01:15 am »
Hey Harlan, what gun were you using?  That wolf stalked my dog again this weekend, I got a good look at him, very large.  I've been taking my .22, but I'm looking for something packing a little more punch.  My old Lee Enfield .303 is over kill....I was looking at something like a .223, but none of the cheap ones come with open sites, just scope mounts......so anyway, what were you planning on using?

Offline Harlan

• Administrator
  • Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2009, 06:17:44 pm »
Rob i was using a .22 as well.  It's an old Cooey, open sights.  I chose that over my 30/30 Model 94 Winchester for the same reason...thought it would be overkill.  now i'm thinking the same as you and looking for a cheap .223 but haven't come across one yet. 

I researched Coyote hunting online and found that most hunters are using bipods with .22 or .17 and setting up for a long shot with a scope.  I'm not about to drop $$$ on a dedicated rifle and scope for this so it's a toss up between the cooey and the winchester.  I'm going out again next weekend to hopefully call in a coyote and will take my 30/30 along this time.

Is it that the Enfield has too much punch or that it weighs a ton?   :o.  I have one of those as well and it's a pig to carry. 

I visited a local trapper last week that had to dispatch a lynx that was caught in his trap.  He took care of it with a .223 and i saw just what they can do....that's a hefty round.

First things first though.  I need to learn to shoot straight and figure out how to call one in. 

Harlan
« Last Edit: February 17, 2009, 06:19:24 pm by Harlan »

Offline memaquay

• Supporter
  • Hauling Sled
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2009, 06:28:31 pm »
This one seems to be the cheapest for a .223, but no open sites, just scope mounts...
http://www.savagearms.com/st_200long.htm
Cartridges seem to be around 22 bucks for 50, which is quite reasonable too.  If you find anything, let me know.

Offline Rob

• Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2009, 07:47:43 pm »
Are bipods legal? I recall something from for HEP or Firearm Safety about using a stand being illegal.
Colder is better

Offline theDuck

• Hauling Sled
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2009, 09:46:37 pm »
Bipods are perfectly legal. They are sold in most gun shops.

Offline Haggis

• Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2009, 03:18:23 pm »
Off the subject a wee bit, but on the subject of coyotes, a female finally hit one of the few snares I've set along my snowshoe paths. She was quite dead when I arrived and "stiff as a yard gate". Now to take a sled with me come the morrow, as carrying her 35 pound carcase a mile and half to the cottage, in my hands, one hand at a time, is more than I'd care to attempt. As we speak she is hanging well off the ground and away from other coyotes; unfortunately I gave no thoughts to the local wolf population until I was nigh again home.

Her pelt, all going well, will be added to my ever growning number of red fox pelts and the lot of them sent off to be properly dressed; sometime in March, and then later the coyote will become a ruff for my yet to be sewn anorak.

My season for catching furs is nigh up for the year; I usually pull my canine snares February 28th, the day after my birthday, but this year the bairns and Herself have some sort of ceilidh in the works for the 27th, and on the 28th my blues band has a gig.
“It is tedious to live; it is tedious to die; it is tedious to c**p in deep snow”

Offline jaunty

• Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2009, 03:38:58 pm »

My season for catching furs is nigh up for the year; I usually pull my canine snares February 28th, the day after my birthday, but this year the bairns and Herself have some sort of ceilidh in the works for the 27th, and on the 28th my blues band has a gig.

You're a man of many parts, Haggis. 

Offline Haggis

• Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2009, 04:37:41 pm »
One does attempt to have as many "irons in the fire" as life and time will permit.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2009, 09:02:39 am by Haggis »

Offline Pathfinder

• Hauling Sled
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2009, 03:49:23 pm »
Hey Harlan,

Great TR bro!

Coyote hunting is not as easy as it seems.  Stay low and have a good backdrop like a large tree or boulder.  Keep in mind they can spot any shinny object like a wedding band, if you're not wearing gloves, or a shiny button.  When you first call they pinpoint you exactly where you are so be very still.

.223 is a "perfect" round for coyotes.  Or even a .22 mag will do the trick nicely.  In fact you can get used .22 mags with iron sights for under 150$ if you look around. 

Thanks again Harlan, and good luck on your next coyote outing!

Cheers
Shawn

Offline cousin Pete

• Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2009, 09:26:50 pm »
Hello Harlan:  That is a sharp looking wool shirt/jacket that you are wearing.  Any luck with bagging a coyote yet?  In Toronto there have been coyotes reported in near residential areas.  When jogging along the beach in Hamilton, I think that I saw one on two occassions recently.  it was definitey not a dog that I saw and it was not a wolf or a fox.  They are a nice looking animal.  The  fur will make a nice ruff. 

Good luck dude,
Peter Myyry
"Tradition means giving votes to the most obscure of all classes, our ancestors. It is the democracy of the dead. Tradition refuses to submit to that arrogant oligarchy who merely happen to be walking around." - G.K. Chesterton, Orthodoxy, 1908

Offline Harlan

• Administrator
  • Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2009, 10:36:09 pm »
Sadly, There will be no Coyote for me until the season opens up again.  It wasn't for a lack of trying, but them suckers are pretty elusive when you're actually trying to get them. 

Oh well, once the season opens again i'll be back at it.

Harlan

Offline memaquay

• Supporter
  • Hauling Sled
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2009, 09:59:56 am »
Wolf season's open till the 31st.  Got my tag on Monday....take your dog out with you, you'll see one.

Offline FlatbowMB

• Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2009, 10:02:27 am »
....take your dog out with you, you'll see one.

:D :D :D  apparently poodles make for some of the best bait...