View the most recent posts on the forum.

Author Topic: Northwestern Ontario Rain � UGH! But A Silver Lining?  (Read 2196 times)

Offline HOOP

• Administrator
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
Northwestern Ontario Rain � UGH! But A Silver Lining?
« on: February 09, 2009, 07:47:37 pm »
Oh the weather is bad!  Bad bad bad!  About as bad as it can get.  Rain and highs up to +7C.  I sure hope no poor souls are out winter trekking right now.  Rain is the absolute worst, except for maybe falling through the ice in deep cold temps.    It is soggy, miserable, and you can�t dry out if you get wet.  Everything touched gets wet, and the firewood gets wet.  The canvas tents can leak without a fly, and any spark holes in your nylon shelters leak.  Its miserable.

The babiche on your traditional snowshoes had better be spar varnished to the max, because this weather will turn them to mush if they are unprotected.    Prior to this meltdown, it was still traditional snowshoe conditions � deep and fluffy, with slush on the lakes requiring max flotation.  Speaking of slush, here�s the silver lining��

Like folks are mentioning in other threads today, there is a positive outcome soon to come IF we get cold temps again:   the lake snow will completely change, losing some of its airy insulative qualities, and the slush will freeze into the ice.   If the lake snow crusts over hard when we get the freeze up again, it can be the best of all traveling conditions.   Or if the snow is still deep on the lakes, you will punch through the crust on every step and it will be slow going.  However with the snow converting to more granular structure, it should make the sleds slide much easier.

I was out a week ago hot tenting on a lake and its was still partially slushy, although improved from January, although I did break through in a deep slush hole once.   But this meltdown and rain snow conversion should fix most of the remaining problems.

Now, if I could only get some time off work for some serious trekking��. :(
« Last Edit: January 04, 2012, 09:29:06 pm by HOOP »
My Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/Wintertrekker

"I firmly believe that far from hurting the planet, the growing knowledge of Bushcraft is helping our natural world. When we employ bushcraft skills, it may seem as though we are consuming natural resources.  But of course, the more we learn about the trees, the plants, the animals around us, the more we respect them. The more we respect them, the more we cherish them, the more we nurture and take care of them. That is the underlying principle of Bushcraft.

Offline Mike

• Hauling Sled
    • View Profile
Re: Northwestern Ontario Rain – UGH! But A Silver Lining?
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2009, 10:31:00 pm »
UGGGG. Its the same here in Wisconsin. I just hope it gets a bit colder up north for the winter camping rendezvous. If not I may bring my swimming suit.
Mike