View the most recent posts on the forum.

Author Topic: Time To Get Away  (Read 3852 times)

Offline pake

• Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
Time To Get Away
« on: February 10, 2009, 12:20:22 AM »
As seems to be the case in many areas recently, we in western Minnesota have hit a spate of warm (for the season) weather. We awoke this morning to rain, and it has made the snow packed roads a dangerously icy version of vehicle Slip and Slide.

Ordinarily I might not care too much except that I have spent the last two weekends laying a float some five miles into an typically untraveled area of the Park in preparation for a solo trip this weekend. This past Saturday and Sunday were particularly grueling as I punched through the last two miles over some heavily wooded glacial moraine and found a suitable site on a small lake where I have determined to spend the last open weekend fishing for Northern (Pike) and Walleye (Pickerel). The lake I have chosen is miles from the nearest plowed road or groomed snowmobile trail.

My wife, the beautiful and talented M has asked repeatedly, "why?"

"I need to." was the only reply that made sense to me, although I could see that the explanation was lost on her.

I know that without telling me she has called each of our adult sons and asked whether they would be interested in taking a trip with pake. Their desire to go notwithstanding, none were able. M would never admit it, or tell me that she called them, but she worries about me being out there alone.

Anyway, the rain of the last few days has knocked the starch out of the snow pack.  :( I am confident that the snow that is forecast to be coming will help things out after a bit, but for now keeping dry on the trail and in the camp will be tough. That won't stop me from going. It'll just be a different trip. I'll have to adjust a few things.......my clothing, my footwear, my choice of fire wood.

My whiskey won't change.... ;)

And I'll still be out where my heart is. Might even catch a fish or two.

Life Is Good!  ;D

pake

Offline Haggis

• Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
Re: Time To Get Away
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2009, 08:16:57 AM »
,,,I'll still be out where my heart is.

Herself and the bairns ever tell me that I am never more at ease with myself, and the world as a whole, than when miles "back of beyond".

Good luck, and take care out there.
“It is tedious to live; it is tedious to die; it is tedious to c**p in deep snow”
Old Norwegian Observation

Offline Miz Moosie

• Supporter
  • Warming Up
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2009, 11:07:11 AM »
pake:  Have a good one!  The weekend forecast looks to provide some colder weather.  Hopefully enough to turn wet water into hard water.  If not, there is always the whiskey  ;D
2008 Winter Rendezvous "Golden Spatula Award" Winner (Winning recipe:  filet mignon with wine, shallots, garlic and dijon mustard served over orzo with butterd brussel sprouts and Black Currant Mead)

Offline pake

• Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2009, 02:22:07 PM »
Haggis and Miz Moosie,

Thanks, I'll have a good time. You know that. But I've got to say, it looks dreary right now. As of noon today, the several feet of snow which we had on the ground are completely water logged, having also received nearly 3/4 inch of rain since Sunday night. Not much snow remains on any of the lakes. What is there will probably be gone before the next cold snap comes through on Friday. Then the surface of the lakes will re freeze and going will be fast across them, but it will be with cleats not snowshoes. In the woods it's another story. There is still plenty of snow although it is waterlogged. Bushwacking through the low country would be hellish. Traversing the wooded high ground may be the preferred method. That will take longer than flat travel of course, but there may not be any choice.

When we find out......then we'll know.  8)

pake

Offline Haggis

• Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2009, 03:23:35 PM »
Bushwacking through the low country would be hellish.

I was out today and it took 2 hours to cover the distance I've been walking in one. Never mind my attempt to go slow and not work up a lather, I was plenty so when I arrived back at the cottage. Wouldn't have missed it for anything, well,,,,maybe whisky.
“It is tedious to live; it is tedious to die; it is tedious to c**p in deep snow”
Old Norwegian Observation

Offline HOOP

• Administrator
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2009, 08:45:36 PM »
Pake:

Fish always bite better in the rain!

Looking forward to a photo TR!
« Last Edit: February 10, 2009, 08:47:13 PM by HOOP »
My Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/Wintertrekker

"I firmly believe that far from hurting the planet, the growing knowledge of Bushcraft is helping our natural world. When we employ bushcraft skills, it may seem as though we are consuming natural resources.  But of course, the more we learn about the trees, the plants, the animals around us, the more we respect them. The more we respect them, the more we cherish them, the more we nurture and take care of them. That is the underlying principle of Bushcraft.

Offline Rob

• Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2009, 09:29:03 PM »

Fish always bite better in the rain!

That's an old dad's tale and has no basis for truth. But it is a story I tell my kids today to stop them from whining when it begins to rain. ;D
Colder is better