View the most recent posts on the forum.

Author Topic: Thermometer Score!  (Read 4359 times)

Offline GearFreak

• Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
    • Alpha Whisky Adventures
Thermometer Score!
« on: August 24, 2015, 10:08:12 PM »
When I went along with the 2015 Winter Camping group trip back in January I saw Undersky had a thermometer that could record indoor and outdoor temps.  It was small and light and had a wired connector.  I found one at Sprawl-Mart for less than $10 CDN.

Will have to test this puppy out before then.
"Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not."

Dr. Seuss - "The Lorax"

Offline southcove

• Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
Re: Thermometer Score!
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2015, 09:39:56 AM »
Now you will have to spend another $8-10 to get lithium batteries to withstand the cold temps! 

I get a kick out of my high priced remote sensing one (also about $10 at Wal-Mart) and will even take the occasional pic or three to pass on to wife and kids just to prove out the temps I talk about...

Right now the remote is telling me it's 93 in the back of my shop!  Wonder if the minimum function holds a memory of winter temps...! 

Offline brianw

• Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2015, 11:09:01 AM »
I have a very similar unit that I got at Home Depot in Canada for about $5.00, if memory serves me.

The outdoor probe has a temperature rating of -50F on mine.  What are the limits on your unit?   As for batteries, I just use the standard alkaline AAA batteries and I toss it in the bottom of my sleeping bag.  Since I use a hammock, I just run the outdoor probe wire along my hammock suspension and to the outside of my canvas wedge hot tent. 

I also only use my thermometer for overnight use.  More to just get an idea of the overnight low and the temperature in the morning when I wake up before I start a fire in the wood stove. 

Cheers

Brian

Offline southcove

• Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2015, 12:58:40 PM »
Mine are AA in the remote sender (cordless, said range is out to 150') and AAA in the display unit.   I would/have just brought in the remote wireless unit back to the tent just so as not to forget it and leave it behind (soon to be miles and miles beyond the 150' range!).

Mine said to -40F which is plenty for me!   And yes, I would just bring the remote sender or the batteries in overnight below Zero...though I typically have Lithium batteries with me, they are for my custom flashlights and not AA size or capacity. 

Offline GearFreak

• Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2015, 06:16:44 PM »
The instructions show -10C on the monitor and -20C on the probe.  :-[ :-[

and it only takes one wee little Lr1130 battery.

This may be a bust! but for the $ we will see if it freezes its battery off!
"Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not."

Dr. Seuss - "The Lorax"

Offline hotelfive

• Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2015, 12:37:19 PM »
I've often considered buying one of these as I'm always interested in the "overnight lows" (makes for better bragging rights ;) but I'm always worried about the batteries dying.  I ended up getting a cheapo freezer thermometer (no batteries) and it works like a charm.

Offline Jawax

• Supporter
  • Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2015, 10:08:19 AM »
I also have taken along an indoor-outdoor min max type thermometer on winter trips.  One thing to check is not just the min temp it can record on the outdoor portion, but also on the inside.  I found mine had a maximum low temp for the indoor part of 0°c / 32°f.  For a couple days I thought the stove was really keeping the tent warmer than it was at night. 

wooley

« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2015, 05:28:19 PM »
This is my go-to Min/Max....Min on Left... I use it in my concrete inspection work.

MIKE

Offline GearFreak

• Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2015, 11:15:46 PM »
Neat Wooley.  I should go raid our Lab and see if they have an extra one!.  Most testing tools have no use for my extra curricular pursuits. Who needs to test slump or see how much air is in your snow!  :o

Dr. Seuss - "The Lorax"

Offline hotelfive

• Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2018, 02:39:23 PM »
I use a freezer thermometer for the sole reason it doesn't use batteries.  I've always been interested in these digital ones though that capture high and low temps etc.  I think Lee Valley or places like that sell non battery operated thermometers that capture the low temps as well but they are kind of pricey if my memory serves me...

On a side note, I can't believe I just revived a thread from 2015 :)

Offline GearFreak

• Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2018, 06:28:14 PM »
Revived - because its an awesome thread!!!

Update - The thing eats batteries - but works.  Better at the three season temps than deep cold.

Dr. Seuss - "The Lorax"

Offline AunNordDuNord

• Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2018, 06:31:55 PM »

::)

Update - The thing eats batteries - but works.  Better at the three season temps than deep cold.

Offline GearFreak

• Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2018, 07:53:06 PM »

::)

my emojis won't insert anymore!!!  Need to send hoop more $$

Dr. Seuss - "The Lorax"