View the most recent posts on the forum.

Author Topic: What camera for filming?  (Read 2820 times)

Offline Hutchy

• Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
What camera for filming?
« on: September 20, 2015, 10:55:52 am »
You guys who make videos, what cameras do you use for filming? Also, what about battery life? Seems like a bit of an obstacle for long term trips.

Hutch

Used to be the man made the gear, now it seems the gear makes the man...

Offline Bioguide

• Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
Re: What camera for filming?
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2015, 11:40:23 am »
I use an earlier version of the Ricoh WG 5 (I think it takes great photos and HD video) it's waterproof thus it would be good for any under the ice shots one might experience.

http://www.amazon.com/Ricoh-WG-5-Reduction-Waterproof-Shockproof/dp/B00V9IR35C/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1442762991&sr=8-5&keywords=ricoh+wg-4

Battery life is an obstacle so buy extra ones. I have 6 for my camera and this year I'll be trying the Morphie Juice Pack to recharge them in the field: http://www.apple.com/uk/shop/product/HB417ZM/A/mophie-juice-pack-powerstation-pro

Offline Hutchy

• Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2015, 08:16:18 pm »
You find the video quality and sound decent?

Offline Bioguide

• Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2015, 08:40:09 pm »
You find the video quality and sound decent?

Here is a video you can judge both for yourself just make sure you select 1080p HD in the video viewer: https://youtu.be/IuFafE2Jmiw?list=PLmTvaHNPvlcbVrdXajcBoO_wj_EU1Bp6c

Offline southcove

• Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2015, 11:10:16 am »
Battery life is an obstacle so buy extra ones. I have 6 for my camera and this year I'll be trying the Morphie Juice Pack to recharge them in the field: http://www.apple.com/uk/shop/product/HB417ZM/A/mophie-juice-pack-powerstation-pro

I think there are a few more choices to consider for a battery pack.   A good pack will have internally 4 x 18560 lithium-ion batteries, giving up to 13,000+ mAh(which is 2x the stated capacity of the Mophie you linked to. 

There is also this http://www.renogy-store.com/E-GO-10000mAH-Portable-Battery-Charger-p/cmp-ego10000.htm which is 10,000 mAh and is on sale for under $30.  I have a few of their small solar panels and they are good quality. 

The downside to putting together your own system is picking the batteries (I have a great source who is also quite inexpensive) and the empty shell battery box..  Most battery boxes are also fairly cheap/flimsy compared to their more pricey cousins, so careful packing would be a consideration.

I use mine for running LED lights, MP3, powered mini-speakers charging batteries, any small USB device, etc.    Anyone can PM me for addtl info/links.

Offline GearFreak

• Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
    • Alpha Whisky Adventures
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2015, 10:32:58 pm »
Hi Hutchy here is what I have learned so far - so take it with the grain of salt.   ;D

I use three cameras not counting a small point and shoot camera (older Panasonic Lumix)

Sony HDR-PJ650
This is my best camera by far - great HD resolution, and super slow motion mode, and many features I am still learning.  It takes great still photo's and can record to internal or SD card. Battery life is good and I carry three batteries for the camera. It is a traditional camcorder platform.  It does have built in projector novelty feature but I bought it because it will take filters in front of the lens and had audio inputs.  Stabilization feature is amazing the lens actually floats on a gimbal type housing.  It will freeze and not work below -25 so it is a challenge to keep it warm.  Battery life drops fast at those temperatures so I use hand warmers in the pelican case to help it stay warm.  Can recharge from Cellular or USB power device (goal zero). USB cable is always attached.  For a weekend, it is not a problem with the three Lithium batteries I have to get all my shots.  32GB internal memory and I use 16GB SD cards.  Super sensitive 5.1 surround microphones but Sony has a proprietary hot shoe on top that makes adding external microphone difficult.  It has stereo audio in and out as well as HDMI In/out ports.  Some features I use are manual focus adjustment, manual white balance, and manual exposure settings.   

Sony HDR-AS15
This is Sony's Go Pro version. Steady shot technology and I just like the look of the Sony picture.  Watch you tube for comparisons.  This one is idiot proof.  Point and shoot but you have to guess what you see or watch on your smart phone as it will connect by wifi. Its kinda like Christmas when I get back to see what I actually recorded and if it is usable.  My percentage of usable footage is getting better but there is a learning curve especially with respect to capturing audio.  I have different housings but the skeleton case gives best audio.  The weather case with the holes for the microphone is just ok, and waterproof is useless for audio.  Dive housing will remove the curved distortion underwater.  This guy can ride in your pocket and stay warm against your skin, and does not seem to suffer as much in the cold.  I will often burn thru one battery and have two Lithium ones that I carry.  Takes Micro SD cards and use a 16GB one.  Has stereo audio input jack as well.

Sony DCR-HC21
Older technology, not HD but has a great night vision which turns it into a night vision camera for about 16 feet.  If I use an IR LED light I could extend the visible range.  Quality is noticeably lacking based on recent technology and I had some real troubles getting the video off the DV tapes - which solved with a cheap firewire card.  I have had this one for years, and have spare batteries for it as well.  Usually gets left at home as I can only make people wait for so long while setting up shots and going to three cameras would cause a mutiny!

Audio
I have an Azden wireless mic and shotgun mic setup as well - still perfecting the use of that but I did get Moose and Elk calls this past weekend with the shotgun!

Here is what I would look for to record your outings for posterity:
  • Traditional Camcorder that shoots in HD and extra memory cards and batteries.  Quiet zoom, quick focus, and auto features or scenes with manual overrides.  Microphone input and headphone out are nice extra features.  These can be had at reasonable prices around Christmas.  Using the fold out screen does decrease battery usage - but you do end up with more stable shots and can see what you are shooting.  Flip forward view is usually standard now.  If you are a skilled photographer then DSLR may be the route if you have the skill to play with the features - not my strong suit. 
  • Go Pro or similar action cam for when you may not want to risk damage to the main one.  Can get pricey with the accessories - look for a bundle.
  • One or two external batteries
  • SD Memory cards to suit (watch for deals on boxing day)
  • Waterproof case such as pelican, if canoeing in store. Padded carry case if backpacking and Ziploc and in pack if raining!  Hand warmers for cold temps.
  • tripod
  • microphone and cable.
  • Editing software is important to put forth your best side! I use Sony Vegas Movie Studio but windows movie maker is popular and usually free with windows.  Something may come with the camera too.

Sorry for the long winded response - hope it helps!
I do use Sony - but was Panasonic for years.  Just read the online reviews and watch the videos and go have fun!

For recharge I have a goal zero solar panel and all the items recharge by USB.  Keep the batteries warm and they stay happy!

"Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not."

Dr. Seuss - "The Lorax"

Offline Hutchy

• Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2015, 02:33:16 pm »
Wow, amazing replies. I will look at them carefully, at work now.