View the most recent posts on the forum.

Author Topic: January 30 - Feb 1 2009 - Kukagami Lake TR (sorry...no pics)  (Read 2643 times)

Offline Scott

• Hauling Sled
    • View Profile
January 30 - Feb 1 2009 - Kukagami Lake TR (sorry...no pics)
« on: February 11, 2009, 02:54:31 pm »
I wasn't going to post this TR, primarily because I don't have any pics; however, a few things happened and some lessons were learned that everyone can probably relate to.  Kukagami Lake has become a convenient option for me, it's just under an hour from my house in Sudbury and offers a reasonable wilderness experience - it's a perfect weekend escape. 

I went with a buddy this time and we packed up early afternoon Friday and were on schedule to hit the lake at 2:30 or so.  This would give us two to three hours to walk up to the north end of the lake - we knew we'd get there late to pitch camp but we didn't care that much, we both know the drill and have headlamps.  The plan was to basecamp all weekend in the hot tent and head into Donald Lake on Saturday to fish for lakers.

So....we get going and stop 10 minutes outside of Sudbury at a small LCBO.  We come out of the store, and walk to the back of my buddy's truck - it's a GMC Canyon with a full tonneau cover, all the gear is under that in the box....but we notice the box door is open!  Apparently in our haste leaving my house, he thought I closed the back and I thought he had closed it, honest mistake.  After checking all the gear we realize that a primary piece of gear is the only thing missing - my ice chisel.  :o   We immediatly backtracked to my house, no sign of the chisel at all.  We retraced the route three times and no luck.  Someone either picked it up off Highway 17 or someone swiped it out of the truck while we were in the LCBO.  Either way, we needed it and as you all know - you can't just walk into a store and buy a decent ice chisel.  It still ticks me off that's its gone for good... >:(

Anways, we lost valuable time that afternoon and ended up buying a small auger at Canadian Tire.  It actually worked really well, much faster than the chisel of course but what a pain to carry!  I also miss the chisel to use as an ice probe whenever the need arises.  An axe works too but the chisel gives one distance from potentially bad ice.

So by the time we pulled into the Sportsman Lodge on Kukagami I was not entirely in a great mood.  My chisel is gone, it's late and we're not getting to the north end of the lake now...no fishing this weekend.  I get talking to George, the owner, and he tells us we better head up the lake a bit further...to avoid the noise!  Saturday was the big snowmobile drag races on the bay in front of the Lodge..like hundreds of sleds and media!  :o  Don't get me wrong either, I like sleds but was expecting to not travel very far at that particular time...so off we go..

There was no slush at all but lots of snow on the lake.  For those who have been there before you know what I mean - with two people and two sleds, breaking trail is friggin tough work.  My buddy  has Atlas 10x30 snowshoes as well and by Sunday he really was eyeing up my traditionals!  We finally pitched camp, in the dark, laughing and having a riot ....because once your out there nothing matters anymore anyways.  But just to add to the experience so far we discovered at that point we left the camera, and toothpaste bought on route in the truck!  So no pics just memories.  Ohh well, we had cold beer and a woodstove though! 

We moved camp Saturday to find better shelter (and move further from the races) and spent the day slowly setting up the tent, and generally taking time with the chores.  It was really nice to have an open schedule - we didn't get to fish but we had loads of time to explore on snowshoe.  That's the great thing about a big lake - to the south of us so much was happening but we heard none of it, trapped in a perfect little bay halfway up the lake.  Friday and Saturday were about
-15C in the day - perfect - Friday evening dipped to -30C and it warmed up Sunday to -2C with a strong south wind on the haul back to the car.  I could have stayed out longer easily...but I must say I was thrilled to brush my teeth with HUGE gob of toothpaste ;D

All in all it was a good trip but I'll be doublechecking gear more carefully next time.  And next time is actually this coming weekend.  I'm heading north of Sault Ste Marie to the Ranger Lake area with my girlfriend and another couple.  We have a special Valentines Day menu planned for the girls and maybe a little long underwear dinner theatre too! 

« Last Edit: February 11, 2009, 03:03:03 pm by Scott »

Offline Rob

• Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
Re: January 30 - Feb 1 2009 - Kukagami Lake TR (sorry...no pics)
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2009, 07:30:01 pm »
Nice report. Did you fear getting run down by a snow machine while traveling on the lake in the dark?
Colder is better

Offline Harlan

• Administrator
  • Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
    • SoloTripping.com - The Solo Tripper's Online Community
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2009, 07:52:08 pm »
Thanks for the TR Scott.  DON'T forget the camera for your trip to the Ranger Lake area....it's my all time favourite area to trip.

Harlan

Offline HOOP

• Administrator
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2009, 09:11:31 pm »
I think we will have to impose a fine on Scott for posting a TR without photos!   ;)

« Last Edit: February 12, 2009, 07:35:01 am by HOOP »
My Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/Wintertrekker

"I firmly believe that far from hurting the planet, the growing knowledge of Bushcraft is helping our natural world. When we employ bushcraft skills, it may seem as though we are consuming natural resources.  But of course, the more we learn about the trees, the plants, the animals around us, the more we respect them. The more we respect them, the more we cherish them, the more we nurture and take care of them. That is the underlying principle of Bushcraft.

Offline Zelandonii

• Supporter
  • Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2009, 08:09:53 am »
Great TR sans pics  ;D

Make sure to take yoru camera for the Valentine's show special that you're planning on your next trip.

48hrs and counting til our next trip!!!