View the most recent posts on the forum.

Author Topic: UP trip: Porcupine Mts. Jan 21-24  (Read 4510 times)

Offline joestrom

• Warming Up
    • View Profile
UP trip: Porcupine Mts. Jan 21-24
« on: November 04, 2015, 12:31:55 pm »
An open invite to go camping Jan 21-24 with us, in the Porcupine Mountains State Park, MI. We plan to camp in the Union Bay campground area, which is accesible via a 1 mile (approx) pull. The campground is officially closed, but I've exchanged emails with the park staff and gained permission to set up in that area.
Best,
Joe

Offline Gitchiegoomie

• Coming in From the Cold
    • View Profile
Re: UP trip: Porcupine Mts. Jan 21-24
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2015, 09:14:27 pm »
Sounds like a good trip, really like that area.

Offline Model97

• Warming Up
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2015, 12:26:27 pm »
May join, thanks for organizing !

Offline DougTally

• BC ski, camp, explore, ski powder slopes UP-WI-MN
    • View Profile
    • Father Michael J McGivney Centers of Hope and Healing
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2016, 05:28:08 pm »
Joe, I've been to PM in summer, what's it like for winter backcountry skiing?  Doug
Blessings Be Yours!
Doug

Offline Coldfingers

• Warming Up
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2016, 09:40:06 am »
Joe, I've been to PM in summer, what's it like for winter backcountry skiing?  Doug

They have some pretty nice trails up there. Here is a map of the trails. I've been on the Union Spring trail and the Superior Loop and down to the Whitetail cabin on the Deeryard trail. Those were pretty flat and easy. I've been on the Big Hemlock trail to it's downhill going from East to West. Not too bad of a trail

Offline joestrom

• Warming Up
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2016, 11:21:22 am »
Unfortunately cancelling our trip. Our son broke his wrist skateboarding a few weeks ago, and won't be skiing so making the 8 hour drive from Milwaukee just won't be worth it. Probably will camp somewhere closer and do some hiking or snowshoeing.
Best,
Joe

Offline DougTally

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2016, 11:45:22 pm »
If the PM get snow I'm going absolutely-positively.  An alternative is Huron Mountains... checkout https://www.skishaggys.com/blog/ and scroll down to 'Earning Turns Huron Mountains'... generall area west of Marquette.  When I view technical maps colored for snow accumulation... it's the Huron Mountains.  Lets watch for snow coming in and see what develops.
BTW I'm in Chicago, where are you from?
Doug

Blessings Be Yours!
Doug

Offline DougTally

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2016, 10:34:51 am »
Huron Mountains are looking interesting for a winter trek, here's a link... http://www.summitpost.org/huron-mountains/153854
Blessings Be Yours!
Doug

Offline DougTally

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2016, 02:54:46 pm »
Here's another mountain range little known even to UPers... the Trap Hills about 20 miles north of the Porkies.  Here's a link http://www.summitpost.org/trap-hills/340745  to all the details but you have to register at summitpost.org (an incredible site).

The only problem I see for the Trap Hills is snow which the Hurons seem to be in the lead.

Blessings Be Yours!
Doug

Offline Model97

• Warming Up
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2016, 09:26:21 pm »
Doug Pls keep the status of this current, I am ~75% on making the trip. Daughter in Marquette, and its a little closer for me from Kalamazoo.  Joe very sorry about your son's injury. 

I camped in the Porkies as part of MTU Nordic Ski Patrol training back in the 80's.  We x-c ski'd UP the downhill slopes (!) and then into the interior with full winter packs.  Weather was a freak: mid 40's and full sun, we were skiing shirtless along the escarpment trail and got some serious sunburns.

Re: tents - I'm trying to find a larger tent for my trips but no go yet.  I have a large 4-dog Ti that i can bring though if that helps with general accommodations.  Otherwise I just have an SL5 with cylinder stove for sleeping.   Jim

Offline DougTally

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2016, 05:07:17 pm »
Joe, I was typing faster than my brain was thinking to send out good camping and lots of snow wishes closer to home with your son. I remember having a short plaster cast on my left wrist/forearm at 10 year old.  Casts must be much different now.  Good for your son pushing the limits!

Jim, I know the 4Dog, how do you describe the 'SL 5 cylinder stove for sleeping'... like a furnace?

My wife is going to Allen Park, MI this weekend and I'm hoping to convince her I fine to go to the UP.  I had the worst cold of my life and got out today after 14 days in the house.  I'll scout Bergland, Porkies and then the Hurons via Hwy 510 as far as I can go.

Doug
Blessings Be Yours!
Doug

Offline DougTally

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2016, 06:27:32 pm »
I'm heading to the Huron Mountains tomorrow somewhere off of Route 510 as far as I can drive with 4x4, then I'm going camping. Did not purchase my backcountry skis and I'm not using Nordics to break trail.  I'll check the depth with friends in Marquette and decide if I need to bring snowshoes.
I will check on the porkies and Trap Hills on my way back to see how their doing for snow.  As it is now, looks like Huron Mtns have the most snow, Berglund and maybe Trap Hills 2nd and Porcupine Mts somewhat less.
Resorts of course are making snow vs fresh snow as in the other areas.
Doug
Blessings Be Yours!
Doug

Offline Model97

• Warming Up
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2016, 11:24:12 am »
I have the Keewaydin yurt reserved this week Wed-Sat nights. If anyone is in the area stop by.